News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Odessa National---The essence of Delaware
« on: August 07, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »
 The highest point in De. is 400+ feet and all of the hills are in the very northwest of the tiny state. The rest of the state is FLAT. This creates a challenge for course designers to not build boring or predictable courses. Odessa National makes the best use of other natural things found in Delaware---ponds and their grasses, trees, and some gentle elevation changes. Many of the tee shots reminded me of The Old Courses's blindness over gorse bushes. The wild marsh grasses were used to great benefit. The use of a pond on # 2 created a wonderful diagonal for a par five.

The routing was the modern housing concept but it seemed that the designer had the best golfing ground available to him. This may have been because the marshland , ponds, and streams are great for golf but not housing. I would love to find out more about Gil Hanse's invovlement here. My feeling was that it was TOTALLY Hanse. The fun short fours, the expert tie ins of green complexes, the occasional bunker connecting the green to the next tee, the creativity in the layup areas of par fives, the bunkering,and much more. I saw parts of Inniscrone, French Creek, and Applebrook which are the Hanse courses I have played.

We should certainly do a gca.com outing there in the fall. I'm sure they would enjoy the play.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:10:36 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Thomas Patterson

Re: Odessa National---The essence of Delaware
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 05:59:12 PM »
If an outing coincides with Thanksgiving Holiday week/weekend, I'm in!  I'll be in Middletown, DE visiting my wife's family and was planning on getting as many rounds there as I could!!  I really enjoyed this course the one time I played it.  Like Mike said, the short 4's were a LOT of fun, and I really liked the flow of the course.  Can't wait to get back and get another look!

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:21:31 PM »
 The course is not really walkable and there is housing, but I only found the housing to the right of #1 an eyesore. Otherwise it was off to the side. The cart path routing was brilliant. It was invisible and often moved into the trees or grasses. I don't care about whether a course is routed through houses as long as the housing is not a part of play ;D

Another sign of creativity was that the par threes on the front were #7 and #9.

I guess I would say it was my most enjoyable cart golf  through housing experience.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »
 I think golf course architecture is best when one feels they are invovled in an enjoyable mind game as opposed to a punishing grind.
AKA Mayday

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 06:40:47 PM »
As I noted in the previous thread, the fall would be a good time to play there:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36266.0/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »
 Steve,

I think there is another thread as well. Maybe the fact that I'm able to play golf at all now has made me a softee ;)
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:39:24 PM »
 I don't know Joel Weiman but did he tutor under Hanse?
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back