News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Dawson

2011 Bandon Dunes Trip
« on: August 06, 2010, 02:54:15 PM »
I would like to have between 24 and 32 members of our golf club go to Bandon in 2011. What is the best time and for how many days?
Thanks,
JD

Carl Nichols

Re: 2011 Bandon Dunes Trip
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »
How relevant is cost? 

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:02:11 PM »
Jim D. -

If you are going with a group that large, when you go may be as much a function of when they have space for you as when you want to go. My guess is the 2011 reservation sheet (certainly between mid-April and mid-October) is filling up fast.

DT   

Jim Dawson

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »
We do not have an unlimited budget, but a hefty one.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 04:17:29 PM »
Great replay rates plus max daylight equals June 21st!  Or close...

Will MacEwen

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 04:24:49 PM »
I booked for March 2010 in April of this year and was very disappointed with the tee times available.  In the past, I have booked 15 months out to get 1st time every day.

William_G

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 02:20:01 PM »
I agree that the longer days equates to the most golf at Bandon, as you can play early and then again late. Winter has the best rates. Fall ahs the best weather. FWIW, in June your group could play three courses in one day without a problem. Thanks. www.bandonbeachretrea ;)t.com
It's all about the golf!

Richard Choi

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 12:18:38 PM »
Jim, on our last trip, we were told that they get about 1/2 booking than usual during holiday weekends. If you have a big group and looking for flexibility in tee times, that would be a good way to go.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 12:30:21 PM »
There is not a bad time to go to Bandon.  I personally like the summer because the winds that the resort is designed for are almost always present. 

I was just there 2 weeks ago and enjoyed 2 rounds at Old MacDonald with a 2 - 3 club wind, a fabulous experience.

The fall is also really nice but the wind might be lacking and there is a higher chance of fog.

And the resort was certainly not booked to capacity, I played the afternoon round at OM as a single in about 2:40, and only had to play through 3 groups.  I stayed at the resort itself and the cabins I stayed at appeared at most half full.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 12:33:21 PM »
I've been there twice in May and once in late September.  We had great weather and episodically high winds both times.  I have heard that you can get some good weather in February and March, but that seems too risky to moi.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 02:29:59 PM »
Jim, we just booked 40 in March and the reservations team at the resort (Debra Jensen in our case) could not have been more helpful. She worked with me on tee times and lodging. Give them a call.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 02:56:17 PM »
I just got back with a group of 8. We were first off every day and second round at 1:30 every day. It was booked a year ago. The BIGGEST problem was getting there and getting home. I got home at 3am while 4 in my group just got home. The fog in the mornig will ruin your travel plans. If everyone is coming from the same place, 32 will not work. The little plane only holds 30.

The wind was light in the am and pretty strong in the pm. 6 iron form 135 to #7 at Old Mac in the pm and SW from 105 in the afternoon. Fun, fun, fun.......
Mr Hurricane

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 03:12:46 PM »
I'm thinking about setting something up for the last week in March with a few buddies. We're thinking about heading out there for a few weekdays, hoping that it's less crowded during the week vs. a weekend. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

I know the weather in Bandon has been discussed to death on here, but is it safe to say that by late March the most of the extreme weather (30* lows / snow / etc...) is out of the equation at least?
H.P.S.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 03:17:34 PM »
Pat - I went last year in early March and wore short sleeves every day, 36 holes.  No weather of any consequence.  That has generally been my experience in Feb/March - last year was exceptionally nice though.

Weekdays are definitely better.  Arriving on a Sunday afternoon is nice.  When I was there on the Sunday last year, Trails was deserted and we flew around, twice.  

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:23:35 PM by Will MacEwen »

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »
Pat - I went last year in early March and wore short sleeves every day, 36 holes.  No weather of any consequence.  That has generally been my experience in Feb/March - last year was exceptionally nice though.

Weekdays are definitely better.  Arriving on a Sunday afternoon is nice.  When I was there on the Sunday last year, Trails was deserted and we flew around, twice.  

Thanks Will. That sounds perfect. That might be our plan, perhaps getting there on a Monday afternoon.

I haven't been to Bandon since when the only course was Bandon Dunes, but I've heard of stories of long rounds and somewhat crowded courses on weekends. My thought is that if I make the trip all the way out there I'd like to at least 1) be able to play quickly, and 2) be able to play as much golf as possible.
H.P.S.

Richard Choi

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 03:30:27 PM »
Pat, I would not worry about that one bit. Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails get 1/2 the traffic PD and OM gets, which means as long as you schedule your rounds appropriately (PD, OM in the morning, BD & BT in the afternoon), you will not have any problems. No round there lasted more than 4 1/2 hours (except for the afternoon round at OM on opening day) and got BT done in 2 1/2 hours on my last trip.

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »
I just booked 16 guys for late next July and there was no problem getting rooms/times,  but there's no time to reserve like the present!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Scott Weersing

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 08:32:24 PM »
We are headed there in February and Old Mac was already booked for one morning. So I would guess it depends on when there are times available, if you want to play 36. There are lots of times open after 10 am.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 06:16:17 PM »
We have a group of 16 going in November, just after the winter rates kick in, golf Thu-Sun, stay Thu-Sat nites. Last year we had no problem booking in late September (14 months early). This year we had a lot of problems for the same dates and we were 15 months early. More courses = longer resort stays

Tim Bert

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 06:36:48 PM »
If you have a hefty budget it is hard to recommend anything but late June early July.  Weather is very predictable = no rain.  Maximum daylght if your group has a taste for 54.

As Rich mentioned, Memorial Day was dead silent leading up to the Opening Day hoopla.  There was also time for 54, although the weather proved to be hit or miss.  They kept talking about an extended winter so maybe it isn't normal but as I was getting drenched with several inches of rain in one day resulting in a ruined camera I couldn't help but think back to how enjoyable the last week in June is in Bandon.

hick

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 07:39:02 PM »
I just booked a trip for the last week in February for four nights and it sounds like they had many rooms already booked. It is a gamble but it most likely will be better than the weather in Rhode Island that time of the year. I will fly from Boston and stay a night on each end in Portland.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back