News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Has Brora Gone Posh
« on: August 06, 2010, 01:18:37 AM »
I played there a couple of weeks ago and was impressed at the course conditioning. 

An out and back mowing pattern quite visible in the fairways.  Not sure how they get the sheep to do that?    ???

Dense and lush green turf in the fairways and especially the greens.

Artistically raked bunkers with manicured sod walls.

The conditions certainly enhance the architectural experience.  There are some really good holes out there.

Now, if only I could get to play the 17th without getting drenched and blown away by the wind.   >:(

It's getting to be hard to think of Brora as being rustic, although there are still those sheep around.

James Boon

Re: Has Brora Gone Posh
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 09:08:33 AM »
Bryan,

The greens, surrounds and bunkers that are inside the electric fences have always been in pretty good condition as far as I can remember. Actually the the rest of the course has always been pretty good as well. But with the sheep wandering around and some of the areas further away from the line of play being quite rough around the edges, its possibly more of a rustic ambience that the course has always had, rather than actually being rustic? Afterall, those sheep make damn good greenstaff  ;D

Cheers,

James

ps Nice photo looking back up the first, especially with the lead coloured sky. I've just made it my new desktop background at work.
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Steve Salmen

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 09:48:42 AM »
Bryan,

I played Brora a couple times last summer.  They had some of the best putting greens I've ever played.  I thought they were better than the greens at Dornoch.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
I agree. During the week we spent in the Highlands back in 2008 I'd say the greens at Brora (3 rounds) were absolutely the equal to those at Royal Dornoch (3 round) with maybe a touch less grain in them. Every bit as firm in any case.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:41:10 PM »
The condition of the greens at Golspie has improved markedly over the past 2-3 years and are the equal of any course in the Highlands. ;)

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:55:01 PM »
It is not looking like the rough and rugged place I knew and love.
I guess I will be able to say I knew it when.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 04:24:38 PM »
It is not looking like the rough and rugged place I knew and love.
I guess I will be able to say I knew it when.

I wouldn't worry too much Ralph, the mowing patterns shown up in Bryans photos are probably a bit clearer because the course is a bit greener due to some of the weather we've had of late. Just wait to we have another hot and dry spell and it will be back to what you remember  ;)

Niall

Steve Wilson

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »
I swear I saw the out and back mowing pattern when I was there in May of 2000.  I didn't think sheep lived that long.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 07:41:15 PM »
I know Brora has fairway and greens mowers. It's mentioned in their newsletter (available online via their web site). I alwys assumed the sheep keep the rough "mown" but not the fairways which are maintained more conventionally.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 05:38:38 AM »
I just played it a couple of days ago and, without knowing about this thread, I thought the same thing as in the title. There were no animal droppings on the fairways - how do they get the sheep to stay in the rough? Or do they clean up after them? Then, there weren't any sheep at all, just mowers relentlessly working the fairways. I have rarely seen a course in better conditioning.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 06:16:50 AM »
I just played it a couple of days ago and, without knowing about this thread, I thought the same thing as in the title. There were no animal droppings on the fairways - how do they get the sheep to stay in the rough? Or do they clean up after them?
Ulrich

I played it with Bill Dow about 5 years ago. With the blessing of the pro shop we went out at 6.30am on a promise to pay after the round.  Unless things have changed look for the little brown 'nuggets' in the rough just outside the bunkers.  According to the Green Staff, Sheep do like to sleep in the bunkers and let’s just say they’re not house-proud. First job each morning involves a big flat shovel.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tyler Ince

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 12:57:08 PM »
loved playing Brora in 2009 and thought it was in superb shape. first time i have ever played a course with electric fences around the greens! golspie and brora were nice alternates for a round at dornoch.
'til the Road Hole....

Alister Matheson

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »
Hi Guys ,
            I can confirm Brora has not "Gone Posh"  I never cease to be amazed by golf tourists/purists who come to play links golf in Scotland from all over the globe and because the place is not burt to a crisp it must be over fed over manicured /presented not rustic enough ect ect ect.

Brora Golf Club has NO fairway irrigation so conditions on the fairways are dictated soley by the weather ,The greens and tees have irrigation but it is  only used to keep the grass alive ,this along with sound and sustainable greenkeeping is why the greens are so pure with Fescue and superb to putt on.

As a life long member at the club the priority for many years now has been to provide fast and firm playing conditions all year round .

Cheers Ally

Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 04:13:55 PM »
The course was in perfect condition. But to a hapless tourist such as myself the story has always been "Brora still has sheep that graze the fairways like in the old days". And then the first thing I see are mowers and no sheep at all. Neither were there any droppings on the fairway, just in the rough. So what exactly is the function of the sheep at Brora these days and when do they bring them out?

Ulrich

Alister Matheson

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 04:37:07 PM »
The course was in perfect condition. But to a hapless tourist such as myself the story has always been "Brora still has sheep that graze the fairways like in the old days". And then the first thing I see are mowers and no sheep at all. Neither were there any droppings on the fairway, just in the rough. So what exactly is the function of the sheep at Brora these days and when do they bring them out?

Ulrich
The golf club do not own the land it is owned by sutherland estates and  local farmers(crofters)have comon grazing rights on it. They put sheep and cattle on the course WHEN it suits them  which is basicaly all summer ! As far as i am aware the fairways have been cut for many many years probably as far back as a horse pulling gangs ,so it must be a romantic rosey eyed rumor which has spread wings regarding sheep and cattle cutting fairways lol !

The sheep and cattle graze on the rough and the main mess is obviously made by the cattle .
To my knowledge the club have never marketed the course as a come and see the wildlife maintaining our course sort of thing !
But they do state that it is a traditional links course.
Cheers
         Ally
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 05:04:16 PM »
Hm, wonder how that rumor got started then. Reading this thread makes it clear that I am not the only one, who thought so.

Ulrich

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 05:23:23 PM »
I have played Brora once or twice a year for the past 7 years. I cannot recall ever not seeing sheep or cattle (or their droppings!) somewhere on the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back