News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hamilton

Re: You had me at hello
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »

D)  Royal New Kent had me at Hello, as did Stonehouse.  Stonehouse eventually lost me, although Royal New Kent was very rocky all the way round.  Speaking of RNK, has anyone else banged a shot off the dude's window behind #16?  S.O.B. sits there and keeps your golf ball, although he'll engage in pleasant conversation.

When I played there with my 7 year old 3 weeks ago I missed left so he didn't get my ball.  But he was certainly hovering.  You really have to wonder about grumpy folks who buy houses on golf courses and then get irritated with balls flying in their yard.

That's what comes from an improperly measured Long Par 4.  The total distance on that hole has to be off by at least 30 yards.  We all hit pretty decent drives and only shaved off 205 yards from the total hole distance, so something is seriously amiss.  But since it's called a Par 4 (rather than the Par 5 it really is), everyone tries to get home in 2 and inevitably ends up in the bunkers 30 yards short of the green.

You make amateur hacks try to hit a 40-50 yard bunker shot uphill, and 40% are just getting out, 5% are getting on the green, and 55% are picked too clean & banged off the houses behind.  You could tell from the old guys this has to happen at least once in every other group.

My 7 year got on in two, what are you complaining about ;D; Ok that's a lie...but he did carry the pond on #18 and flew the green (3 times actually, he had so much fun doing it the first time)! I missed 16 left after laying up.  I hate 16, its a no options hole.  It's a tough carry in 2 even with a great drive (if you play from the correct tees) and its a stupid lay up.  I love to play RNK about twice a year and my 7 year old loves it, but I am almost always ready to head in after 15.

But I stand by my grumpy folks comment.  The course was built first, the house later, and he bought the damn thing.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2010, 06:18:18 PM »
TOC, NGLA, Shinnecock, Riviera.

JF
#nowhitebelt

Jud_T

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2010, 06:29:41 PM »
TOC, Prestwick, Portmarnock, Ballybunion, Lahinch, Shoreacres, Pac Dunes, Lost Dunes & Kingsley
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Johnson

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2010, 07:32:28 PM »
Ronald, your story reminds of a lawsuit in Toronto last year. A retired couple buys a house alongside a short par 4 at Islington Golf course. Course opened in 1924, they bought the property in 1999 and rebuilt a home closer to the course. One summer the guy collected 2 wheelbarrows of golf balls. He sued $15,000 for damages of broken windows and $15,000 for pain and suffering and won. The club has now erected an ugly fence to protect against future law suits.

Now back on topic, aside from the usuals I would have to say Enniscrone. The first 4 holes are laid out in  ragged dunes and then you get 4 holes that have a more classic feel to them. While playing 5-9, you get to look up at those massive dunes and wonder how the hell they have a golf course in them. The anticipation was even greater the next year as I knew there was a golf course in those dunes and those holes were incredible. I love playing golf in the massive dunes and just looking at those dunes and knowing what is ahead is a great feeling in golf.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2010, 08:02:56 PM »
Canada...Banfff, Highland Links, Jasper Park....

USA....Piping Rock, LA CC North, Shinnicock Hills

RHE

Steve Wilson

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2010, 08:30:13 PM »
Despite the popularity of the last two, I present what I think will be a unique triumvirate.

Preston Country Club

Dornoch

Brora.

There are more, but then I'm easy.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2010, 08:38:13 PM »
Pac Dunes, but not until hole 3

Bill

That's interesting and for mine I think I could say that all the Bandon courses (save for OM) were slow out of the blocks.

archie_struthers

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2010, 08:45:42 PM »
 8) ;D :D

I'm going to say Portstewart , as the beginning is quite special

Anthony Gray

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »
Anthony, I will certainly dive a little further...

Pacific, Bandon, Trails, CB - I was taken even before I hit a single shot. The sea, dunes, that authentic links feel. Does not get much better than that. Pretty much the same without the sea at Ballyneal.

Plainfield - The way the fairway bunkers look from the tee and that magnificent green at #1 was all I needed to be taken.

BPB - How could you not be psyched after spending the night in your car and seeing that warning sign before the 1st tee?

Thanks Rich....I passed on Plainfield........mistake?

Anthony

Ron Csigo

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2010, 09:12:50 PM »
Anthony, I will certainly dive a little further...

Pacific, Bandon, Trails, CB - I was taken even before I hit a single shot. The sea, dunes, that authentic links feel. Does not get much better than that. Pretty much the same without the sea at Ballyneal.

Plainfield - The way the fairway bunkers look from the tee and that magnificent green at #1 was all I needed to be taken.

BPB - How could you not be psyched after spending the night in your car and seeing that warning sign before the 1st tee?

Thanks Rich....I passed on Plainfield........mistake?

Anthony

Anthony,

IMO, Plainfield CC is the second best course in the state behind Pine Valley and doesn't get enough recognition which it definitely deserves.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2010, 10:08:57 PM »
My home course of Sleepy Hollow, a public golf course owned by the Cleveland metroparks.  I remember I was 17yrs old and at that time they were building the new clubhouse, so there was a trailer that they were using as a substitute. So I get out of the car, and pay my green fees, and as im walking to the tee, im totally awestruck by the view of the course! The bunkering, the huge trees, the rolling terrain, and the awesome vista we were afforded being atop of the hill. I was smitten then and every time i go back the feeling in my gut just reaffirms my initial impression.

I'm a big fan of Sleepy Hollow as well.  I discovered it while attending a National Training Session for my firm in Seven Hills.  Very pleasant surprise to find a Stanley Thompson Municipal that you could play for $25 (back in 1994). 

I know exactly what you mean about the vistas, especially from the 1stTee (Par 5).  Sometimes I'm unclear which 9 is which because I always seem to be playing this course on a League Night and start on a different tee each time. 

#3 is a great approach, 6 is a gorgeous short par 3, 8 has a wonderfully devious green.  The drop-shot approach on 13 is wonderful, 14 is a great risk/reward Par 5, and 15 is another great framed approach (Thompson sure knew how to use a green to defend a short Par 4).  17 is probably the most gorgeous looking hole that has ever made me want to kill myself (if you’re a risk-taker, you probably know what I mean).

Unfortunately, I haven't been back in 7+ years, so it wasn't fresh in my mind.  Thanks for bringing it up – it definitely brought back some great memories.

john_stiles

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2010, 11:25:19 PM »
There are just so many courses that had me, still do, and will always.  Maybe there will be a few more.

But, the first 'you had me' and it is related to golf courses and architecture, was a book, 'The World Atlas of Golf.'

I still look at the wonderful 2-D perspectives and put myself on the first tee. 

As to courses,  I guess rounding the corner to see the 18th and 1st tee and clubhouse at  TOC.  Oh my dear, may I hold your hand.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2010, 11:36:49 PM »
I was highly skeptical about Bandon Trails.  I presumed that the resort was pushing it - forcing a third course upon second rate land.  The early reviews I had heard didn't provide any comfort that it was in fact the equal of BD and PD.

When I got to the first tee, after the little walk up, I saw a fantastic opening hole, every bit the equal of holes at the other courses.  After 2 and 3, I was a fan. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »
There are lots of courses which have done this for me ... and a few pieces of raw property, as well.  My first look at Cape Kidnappers, flying over the bay in a helicopter to meet Julian Robertson out on site, will be hard to top.

As to existing courses, I do not know how anyone can drive past all those back nine holes at The National Golf Links of America and come through the gate by #17 green and look up #18, and not be captivated.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2010, 10:41:55 AM »
Sand Hills - The anticipation on that drive to the first tee is like a school girl, especially on early morning rounds as you crest the hill by Ben's porch and see it out in front of you.  If you don't fall in love with that you don't have a pulse.

Cypress Point - Well, its the Monterrey beach, I could just walked around there without a golf course for four hours, more less a Mackenzie master piece with 3 holes perched on the rocks

Royal County Down - Those first 4 holes in the dunes are magic

Waterville - Few settings in golf like the Ring of Kerry

I have seen Common Ground posted on here....I will tee it up there in about and hour, I am excited to see it!

Andrew Brown

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2010, 10:51:20 AM »
Dubbo Golf Club, in NSW, Australia.

November 1980 - toed a 3 iron into a brick retaining wall next to the tee. Pretty much since that day, golf,  has been on the thing most on my mind...

So it wasn't the club itself, but just being on a golf course for the first ever time that "had me at hello".

Regards
Andrew

Tim Nugent

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2010, 11:33:23 AM »
I'm amazed that no one has mentioned North Berwick. Standing right on the shoreline bluff, with the whole extent of the course before you and the 1st green perched up on the plateau?  It don't get much better.

Also, SFGC, the scale is overwhelming and Shore Acres, the tease of the long drive along 3,2,and finally 1, like NGLA gets you even before #1.
Coasting is a downhill process

William_G

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2010, 01:24:22 AM »
CP, Pebble, Spyglass, Pasatiempo, Bandon, Pacific, Trails, Old Mac.. 8)
It's all about the golf!

Niall C

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2010, 08:24:06 AM »
For me it was Silloth, and as Bernard Darwin said about the course;

"I never more violently fell in love with a course at first sight", that I think speaks volumes.

Niall

Anthony Gray

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2010, 07:31:45 AM »

Prestwick is a great choice because of the rock fense and railway.how could i have forgotton.North berick also has a three great/unique starting holes.

ARG

John Foley

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »
How about Kittansett.

Love the peaks you get on the drive in, what a tease.

Then you get to the course out on the point. First two holes are beautiful & tough then you get on the water for the par 3 3rd.

It really grabs you early.
Integrity in the moment of choice

JNC Lyon

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2010, 09:55:15 AM »

Prestwick is a great choice because of the rock fense and railway.how could i have forgotton.North berick also has a three great/unique starting holes.

ARG

Those two Scottish courses were my choices exactly.  I also loved Woking and Yeamans Hall right from the start.  Huntercombe was another one--the first four holes there really inspired me, especially the short par three starting hole.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tim Pitner

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »
I have seen Common Ground posted on here....I will tee it up there in about and hour, I am excited to see it!

What'd you think, Chip?  We here in Denver are pretty excited about it too. 

V. Kmetz

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2010, 04:12:01 PM »
Country Club of Fairfield

To see the width and breadth of nearly the entire course from the elevated entrance way with the shimmery Sound and ship masts dotting the backdrop makes you want to play within 5 minutes of putting your car in park.

The salt air, carried by the wind immediately registers in your brain that all the senses are going to be in play.

Many hellos are every bit as good, but few could be called better

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Matthew Sander

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2010, 11:50:36 PM »
Two courses come to mind when I think of this question. The first is Keller Golf Course in St. Paul. Those of you who know the course may think I'm nuts, but hear me out. I moved to Minneapolis right after college and Keller was my first sight unseen course while I was there. It was the first course that I'd experienced for the first time on my own (not counting the courses at IU) and I loved it. I'm sure some of the fondness came from it being my own little experience far away from my family and what was familiar, but the course also made an impression.

Keller used to hold the St. Paul Open, it also held two PGA Championships, a Western Open, the Patty Berg Classic, and a Pub Links. The clubhouse is filled with mementos and memorabilia from its heyday. It is a Golden Age Course and has many interesting holes and tricky greens. It has one ridiculous par 3 with an enormous oak(?) tree right in front of the green, but the tree has been there for ages and for better or worse it isn't going anywhere. To this day I'm thankful that I chose Keller as my first course to experience in the Twin Cities as I had many memorable rounds there.

The second course that comes to mind is Chambers Bay. I fell in love before I even had my soft spikes on. When you park up top and venture over to the golf shop and take in that view...it was like a punch in the gut. The entire course is laid out in front of you seemingly hundreds of feet below. The groups on the course look like ants, and I couldn't wait to get down there. I immediately pointed out to my dad this narrow hole that disappeared between dunes (turned out to be the 10th), and said that I'd never seen anything like it. The course didn't disappoint, but that initial view can't be beat, or at least nothing has come close to me before or since.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back