News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Re: What is the biggest advantage that NLG's have over the ODG's
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 10:04:10 PM »
You guys are better looking, as a group and on average. Probably taller too, which helps as you stand on the high ground to survey a site. Also, you have better postures, and wear more sensible footwear.

Peter   
All  is true Peter...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Anthony Gray

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 10:10:58 PM »

i WOULD ALSO SAY THAT BREATHING WOULD ALSO GIVE THE GUYS TODAY AN ADVANTAGE.

aRG

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 10:14:33 PM »
Sod farms to keep the shaped features from washing away
Cushman vehicles to get around the site quickly
Chainsaws and woodchippers
ODG private clubs that need a touch-up after 90 years of normal wear and bad choices by green committtee
Ability to wear jeans rather than a tie to work
Goretex
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 10:15:39 PM »
Marcus Aurelius Antony Gray,

Perhaps our posts crossed?

What say ye?

They also have functioning digestive systems as an advantage, as well as periodic brain wave activity.

All things considered, I'd rather be a NLG than a ODG.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 10:31:25 PM »

What is the one thing that modern architects (NLG's  NOW LIVE GUYS)  have working in their favor when it comes to golf course design that the ODG's did not have ?....of ocurse it will be opinion but want to see some before I give mine...for what that's worth... ;D

Mike,

The NLG's can still make alterations and improvements on their courses  ;D

Mike_Young

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 10:38:18 PM »

What is the one thing that modern architects (NLG's  NOW LIVE GUYS)  have working in their favor when it comes to golf course design that the ODG's did not have ?....of ocurse it will be opinion but want to see some before I give mine...for what that's worth... ;D

Mike,

The NLG's can still make alterations and improvements on their courses  ;D

for a while on some of them.... ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 10:55:11 PM »
Richard,

While I agree that the NLGs have a harder time finding great sites, I think that they are helped by the fact that golf is now so popular (and there is so much $ in it) that whenever great sites are found they tend to be developed regardless of how remotely situated they are (think Bandon, Sand Hills, Ballyneal, Cape Kidnappers, etc.).

I am guessing that the NLGs face at least two other large obstacles.

1. Technology - I imagine it is hard to design a course that is both fun and challenging for all when the good players are hitting 300 hard drives with balls that do not bend and then throwing darts at the pins with their wedges.  I would think that it would be easier to create fun holes for players who you know will be bending and running balata balls into most greens with their 2 irons.  Of course, this line of thinking is old hat on this site so I digress.

2. The PGA Tour - TV golf shapes expectations to a great extent and I imagine tends to tie the hands of many good architects.  I wonder sometimes how much better Pete Dyes courses would be if the concept of the "championship course" was never born.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back