News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

You had me at hello
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:10:02 AM »

What are some courses that you love right from the start?

Patrick Hodgdon

Re: You had me at hello
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:11:40 AM »
Holston Hills and Common Ground.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 12:13:50 AM »
Some obvious ones....

CPC, TOC, Sand Hills, Shinnecock Hills - stepping onto the first tee is a pleasure in itself

Chris Shaida

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 12:15:06 AM »
Chechessee and Lahinch

Jon Heise

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:15:24 AM »
Greywalls.  And Cruden Bay.
I still like Greywalls better.

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 12:19:39 AM »
Ballyneal, more than any course I've ever played.  There are lots of others.  But the 15 minutes that was the 2nd green to 4th tee was surreal, and I was smitten.

That said, Oakmont says hello pretty well in 1-3.  Bandon Trails has a nice how ya doin from 1-3 too. 

Brian Stewart

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 12:21:07 AM »
Enniscrone and Narin & Portnoo are two examples only because I had zero expectations for either going in and they are two of my favorite courses.  

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 12:25:57 AM »

Did someone say CRUDEN BAY? I just wet my pants.

Peeble Beach never gets old.TOC never gets old.Loved Diamante this year also.

Castle Stuart is a joy.Chambers Bay I wish I could go every year.

Wine Valley is the best bunkering I've seen and a very playable course for the higher handicappers.

AG

Chris Shaida

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 12:37:03 AM »

Did someone say CRUDEN BAY? I just wet my pants.

Peeble Beach never gets old.TOC never gets old.Loved Diamante this year also.

Castle Stuart is a joy.Chambers Bay I wish I could go every year.

Wine Valley is the best bunkering I've seen and a very playable course for the higher handicappers.

AG

Well now, you're kind of switching the subject.  THe first time I went to Ireland we played Doonbeg off the plane and it was like, well...ok...but.. and then the next morning when we played the first few holes of Lahinch it was like...YEH, this is IT...and I felt like it would be just GREAT if I never played another golf course with a tree on it (though, of course, I've since played hundreds of rounds on golf courses with trees on them...)

Richard Choi

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 12:46:37 AM »
I don't think I have any course in my top 10 that didn't had me from the hole #1.

Tim Bert

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 01:07:24 AM »
Banff Springs - despite a first hole that didn't blow me away, the setting alone had me right out the gate more than any other location. And the golf didn't disappoint.

All the usual suspects that we talk about that I've played fall into this category as well.   

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 01:12:35 AM »
Banff Springs - despite a first hole that didn't blow me away, the setting alone had me right out the gate more than any other location. And the golf didn't disappoint.

All the usual suspects that we talk about that I've played fall into this category as well.   

Thanks for mentioning THE SETTING. The course is an experience and factors such as the setting the culture of the area are often overlooked on this site.Nice post Tim.

Anthony

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 01:15:51 AM »
Caledonia. By the time I reached the 4th tee I knew it was special. In 20+ visits it has never failed to please.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jamie Barber

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 03:38:05 AM »
RCD was the one for me. Impossibly scenic, and by the time you get to the 9th, wow!

Eric Smith

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 06:11:47 AM »
Lookout Mountain.

THAT is an awesome setting from the start and being my first Raynor course, it definitely held my interest throughout.  I can't wait to get back up there.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 06:15:16 AM »
I don't think I have any course in my top 10 that didn't had me from the hole #1.

Keep going Rich........What makes them different than others?

Thanks...Anthony

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 06:51:34 AM »
Royal Dornoch had me at the first glimpse I got of the 1st tee as I came up the hill.

St Enodoc had me at hello, lost me over the soup, won me back over the starter, lost me again during the main meal and then charmed my pants off over desert!

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 07:07:46 AM »
MPCC Shore. On a clear day at dawn that view from 1 tee isn't bad.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 08:34:48 AM »
Ballyhack, without a doubt.  The land on the Front 9 is spiritual.  I took as much time as possible playing the 9th so I could take in the view of the first 8 holes one last time.  Not that the Back 9 is any slouch.  After putting out on 17, I reminded everyone to keep taking it all in, because we were going to have to leave soon.

Leatherstocking was another course where I was declaring my undying devotion by the 4th tee.  It was like walking through a museum piece, and the contouring was resonating with something deep inside me.  I fear that going back repeatedly may put it on the "I should have left" list given its lack of length, but I adored that course quickly.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 08:39:16 AM »
NGLA and Crystal Downs. Both were obviously special from the first tee forward.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:41:35 AM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 09:25:13 AM »
MGC - First exposure was walking down Golf House Road past 15 and 14 at the US Am.
RCD- Sensory overload
Enniscrone- the land forms are incredible and the club has a great vibe

Carr Harris

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 10:01:55 AM »
The ones that spring to mind for me are Canterbury, Tobacco Road, and Chambers Bay.

I don't know if I'd rank any of those in my personal top 5,  but each and every one of them put off a really good vibe that i really enjoyed.

Some courses just make you feel comfortable the moment you step on the property...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 10:08:29 AM »
A)  I will confirm that Kevin did indeed take as long as possible to play the 9th at Ballyhack.  He actually bought it a ring, but was too shy to pop the question that day.

I will also substantiate his "ode to Emmett," such as it was, on the 4th tee of Leatherstocking.  I think it was the waves of the 3rd hole's fairway (waves on a freaking par three fairway!!) that brought him home.

B)  The Orchards, Kinloch and Taconic all start out ( for me) with nondescript holes, so that initial "Hello" did not do it.  By the third hole on both courses, I was smitten.  Ballyhack's first hole blows you away, then #2 takes you even higher.  I think that a course with a great first hole must follow it up with a smasher; in either case, #2 best be good.

C)  I disagree on the Bandon Dunes suggestion...I cannot imagine that any of those four courses (and I know that the original Dunes course was the target of dismay) could be played relentlessly and forgotten.  Disney (or was it MGM) at Bandon?  Cracker, Please!

D)  Royal New Kent had me at Hello, as did Stonehouse.  Stonehouse eventually lost me, although Royal New Kent was very rocky all the way round.  Speaking of RNK, has anyone else banged a shot off the dude's window behind #16?  S.O.B. sits there and keeps your golf ball, although he'll engage in pleasant conversation.

E)  I could go on...most of the courses I've played that are highly ranked, grabbed my attention from the start...Old Course, Fox Chapel, Country Club of Buffalo, and on and on and on.  There's just not enough time nor breath to play them again and again (and again!)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »
Lahinch, RCD, The Ocean Course, Ballyneal, Sleepy Hollow, Pac Dunes, Kingsley, Greywalls and Wildhorse.

Loved them the first play, if I've played them more than once I've loved them as much or more subsequently.  I'd go back to each in a heart beat.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:50:11 AM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 10:48:20 AM »
Another that had me at Hello.... Black Mesa.

It actually had be before the Hello as I was sold the minute I bit into the breakfast burrito with green sauce served in the grill! One of my best breakfasts ever... and the burn lasted most of the front nine!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back