News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Hitt

Flynn at Rock Creek Park
« on: March 05, 2002, 02:08:44 PM »
I recently went looking for a little confirmation to the listing of this course as a Flynn design. After a chat with the National Park Service I received part of a 1990 resource study that contained the following
 "Flynn worked as a consultant on the design of Rock Creek golf course and spent two days going over the ground to locate the tees and greens. The final course design, apparently incorporating Flynn's verbal suggestions was prepared by (Irving) Payne."

Time for all the mid atlantic GCA guys to go take another look at one of my favorite munis and see what kind of potential a restoration would have. I am warming up the chain saw already.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

wsmorrison

Re: Flynn at Rock Creek Park
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2002, 03:27:06 PM »
Patrick

I am very interested in your views of Rock Creek and East Potomac if you are familiar with that Flynn course as well.  I am writing a book on Flynn and his golf courses.  Unfortunately, I have not been getting any research done on courses in DC/MD.  I sent you an email regarding some matters that may interest you.  Look forward to hearing from you.

Craig Disher

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2002, 07:16:26 PM »
Patrick,
I've been over there often although not for several years - except to hike through it and ski on it when we have snow. The greens look like they were built with minimal preparation, sort of scraped and seeded. The course is so poorly maintained (and crowded because of the low greens fee and urban setting) that it'd be hard convincing anyone that that it has a pedigree of sorts. I'll have to give it a closer look, it's only a mile or two from where I live.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2002, 08:09:42 PM »
WsMorrison,

I haven't played Rock Creek Park, but I have played the 18 hole and 9 hole courses at East Potomac Park, where Flynn evidently had some involvement.

My understanding of the architectural lineage of the 18 hole "Blue" course is that it was designed for the Park Service by Robert White around 1920, and having played a number of White's courses, it seems to fit the pedigree.

If Flynn was involved there, it was probably during the depression, and may have been a limited engagement.

The 9 hole "White" course is actually more interesting architecturally, although it is only 2,500 yards.  While doing research a few years back, I came across information that indicated the White course was part of the original "West Potomac Park" course designed by Walter Travis and Dr. Walter Harban in the 20s, as well.  For some time, the "West" course was primarily the "African American" course.  

The green complexes of that course are significantly more interesting, and led me to believe that the Travis heritage is probably accurate.  

I would certainly be very interested to hear from anyone who has further information.  Craig Disher;  you have a mission should you choose to accept it. ;)

Mr. Morrison....I live in the Philly area, and I've done a lot of research on courses in the mid-atlantic region re: architectural heritage.  If I can be of any help to your research, please just let me know.  In any case, I'm excited to hear of your book about William Flynn, and wish you the best of luck.  

Patrick Hitt

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2002, 09:39:00 PM »
CDisher,
The conditioning is brutal but the green sites will convince you. I used to wonder about the place when I lived on Blagden Ave. before I knew who Flynn was. The nice thing about the US Parks is they left the place alone.

Mike C,
The terrain at Rock Creek is more like the area than EPP. It reminds me alot of Philly. I wonder what you found out about Langston ? Mabye you could email me so I don't double your efforts.

WM,
I look foreward to hearing from you.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2002, 05:46:16 AM »
Patrick;

Langston remains a mystery as to its designer.  It was built in 1939, and no architect of record has been determined.

I do know the course went through a significant upgrade/revision in the past couple of years, the work done by Brian Ault's design firm.

Craig Disher

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2002, 07:18:26 AM »
This is Rock Creek. We're having great weather at the moment and I might pop over there and take a few pictures. A couple closeups might also give a better sense of the undulations on the course. The aerial doesn't come close to showing them.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »

Craig Disher

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2002, 03:01:30 PM »
A couple of holes at Rock Creek give a good idea of what the course is like. A little investment would make this course a real gem. It's short - real short - but the tight fairways on the back and the wild terrain would make it fun to play anytime.

This is the par 3 17th. The dropoff is severe on the right and to the back. A tiny bunker above the slope (just to keep you from relying too much on the bank) was removed a long time ago.

The fairway for this short par 4 (about 325 yds) is like a roller coaster. The relatively level lies are on the left side leaving a tricky shot to a green which falls off sharply on the right.

The green for the hole is sliced into a hillside. You want to approach it from the right, but the trees on that side of the fairway force your drive to the left.

I could be convinced easily that Flynn had something to do with routing this course.

Craig Rokke

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2002, 03:28:16 PM »
On a tangential note, does anyone know anything about a Flynn re-design in upstate PA call Eaglesmere? Who origianlly did it?

wsmorrison

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2002, 03:44:56 PM »
CD
Thanks for the pictures, very nice.  The way the greens hang on the  hillsides, it certainly does look like Flynn, as attributed.  The aerial picture shows that there are not many bunkers on the course.  Are there any fairway bunkers?  I look forward to coming down to the DC/MD area and getting together with you and looking at Flynn courses.

CR
I spoke with a member of  Eagles Mere, an interesting club and course in north central PA, Bill Albertini who is also a member of a local club in Phila.  He invited me up to see and play the course with him this spring.  I can't find my notes from our conversation, they're around somewhere.  Bill has been doing research on the course for some time and has a lot to share.  I need to call him and I'll let you know what I find out.  I believe all 18 holes as they are now fashioned are attributable to Flynn.  

I have to put together a timeline and get better organized!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »

Craig Disher

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2002, 04:12:28 PM »
There are very few bunkers overall but I counted three that have been grassed over or abandoned. I recall only one fairway bunker - which was abandoned at some point. With the severe topography, bunkers might be relief from having your ball roll off the course.  

This may also be the only course in the US that has a higher cart fee than green fee! For seniors during the week it's 15.50 to play 18. Carts are $21.

Patrick Hitt

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2002, 06:01:01 PM »
Craig,
Did you take any shots of 11 or 13 ? I don't remember which was the par 3 uphill to an elevated green. Thanks for the pix.

Craig Disher

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2002, 06:39:14 AM »
Patrick,
I didn't get to that section of the course but will in a couple of weeks. Yesterday I was trying out a new digital camera. If my reading of the aerial is correct, the uphill par 3 would be #11 (the short hole at the top of the picture with the large bunker). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Patrick Hitt

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2002, 06:42:54 AM »
Craig,
It's been 10 years but I think you are right. 6 or 7 is worth taking a peek at too.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back