News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: Final round 59 wins?
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
Michael-When I got online tonight after I found out that Appleby shot the 59, I was very surprised to see that no one was talking about the world being about to come to an end because of this round. I don't really like seeing individual round scores that low, but the total score I am fine with. US Open scoring is fun once or twice a year, other than that, lets see them play. I think these 59's are still far more rare than a perfect game in baseball, and no one seems to be thinking the world is ending because there have been two of those this year.

A funny thing happened on the way to the records book, however....

.....with so many 60's and 61's thrown around, suddenly 59 doesn't seem quite as impressive.

No, the world as we know it ended when a junior shot 57 from 6600 yards to set a Guiness Book of World Records record.

Garland: You said it right, a 6600 yard course. He will be playing at a major conference university next year. Give me the starting 5 golfers from every school in the Big 12, Pac 10, ACC, SEC, Big 10, and Big East, let them all play 3 rounds under the same set-up seen in that tournament, and I will bet that 1/3 of that field shoots a lower 3 round gross than he did (-18) and you'll probably see 5 rounds of 59 or better. 6600 yards is a joke of a golf course for a guy with that level of skill. Keep playing PGA Tour events on 6900~ yard golf courses that feature soft greens and limited rough and you'll see more rounds like that shot. Give that course today some brick hard greens and grow that rough up a inch or so and its a totally different golf course. (BTW, Pebble Beach played roughly the same length as The Old White and you didn't see any 59's there did you?)

That's absurd.

1/3 average 64?
5 under 59?
and you've never seen the course, kid , or round you're belittling
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back