News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Father of modern golf ball dies....Bob Molitor
« on: August 01, 2010, 03:27:19 PM »
I have a few friends that were reps for Spalding and were getting together in the near future for some golf down this way...they sent me this today...the father of the modern bal...

Robert P. Molitor 1921 - 2010 PEORIA, IL - Robert P. (Bob) Molitor, Golf Ball Inventor, 89, of Peoria, IL, and formerly of South Hadley, passed away on July 20, at home. Bob was born on March 17, 1921 in Brooklyn, NY. He was the son of the late Peter F. Molitor and Anna Brand Molitor. He graduated from Manual Training High School, Brooklyn in 1939, and he received his BS degree in Chemical Engineering from Tri-State University in Angola, IN in 1942. After college, Bob joined US Rubber Co. in Mishawaka, IN. As a Chemical Engineer he helped develop self-sealing fuel tanks for fighter planes. This innovation saved the lives of numerous US airmen during World War II. Bob later worked for Sun Rubber Co. in Barberton, Ohio, and Bauer and Black in Chicago before settling in at A. G. Spalding Co. in Chicopee, MA. Bob worked for Spalding for the next 42 years. He was Vice President for Research and Development, and retired in 1999 at the age of 78. Bob had a career filled with accomplishments. He was awarded 27 patents for his innovative work, mostly in the field of sporting goods. He also pioneered colored tennis balls, made numerous improvements to air filled balls including footballs and basketballs, developed plastic ski boots, and was instrumental in the change from horsehide to cowhide baseballs in the major leagues. His most famous accomplishments were in the world of golf where he is considered to be the "father of the modern-day golf ball". He developed the first two-piece golf ball, the Top Flite, in 1971. This process would eventually be used by every major golf ball manufacturer in the world. The Surlyn cover that he created made golf balls nearly cut-proof and revolutionized the game of golf for the average player. Bob was elected to the National Sporting Goods Hall of Fame in 1979. A high end golf ball manufactured by Spalding carried the Molitor name. Bob will be most remembered for his quiet, modest personality, his refusal to give in to Multiple Sclerosis over the last 25 years of his life, his love of family and friends, and his innovative spirit. He leaves his loving wife of 66 years, Burnice, his four children, Bruce Molitor of Bedford, Texas, Susan Molitor Edmiston of Frankfort, IN, Peter Molitor of Hatfield, MA, Teresa Molitor Smyth of Peoria, IL. nine grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. A funeral mass was held on Saturday, July 24 at St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church, Peoria, IL. Memorial contributions may be made to St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church 6001 N. University St. Peoria, IL 61614 or the Greater New England Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society in Waltham, MA 02451.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bob_Huntley

Re: Father of modern golf ball dies....Bob Molitor
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:11:21 PM »
Didn't James R. Bartsch have someting to do with this?

Bob

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 07:22:58 PM »
Remember those Molitor golf balls?  Came in triangular boxes with tissue paper and cost a fortune for 1980.

Chris Buie

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 07:27:41 PM »
Dan, I was just writing about that when you posted.  Each ball had its own serial number as well!  It was considered something very special at the time.  Expensive too.  
The number 1 guy on our golf team would pull out his graphite shafted driver (very rare at the time) and that triangular box on the first tee of school matches.  It was a striking image.  
I didn't know he invented Surlyn.  Interesting story.  Thanks for posting Mike.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 07:29:36 PM by Chris Buie »

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 07:29:23 PM »
Thanks for posting Mike. I didn't know much about him.

Dan - I remember the Molitors well. They came out at a time when there were lots of new balls on the market, which was too bad. There was an awful lot of competition.

Bob

Chris Buie

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 07:56:20 PM »
Yeah, I remembered correctly.  It did have a serial number.  It's being sold under the antique section on ebay.   :-\

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 04:45:50 AM »
C15615 was mine I lost it in 1983.....how do i get it back!!
Cave Nil Vino

Tony Ristola

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 05:43:36 AM »
Yeah, I remembered correctly.  It did have a serial number.  It's being sold under the antique section on ebay.   :-\

They came with a money back guarantee if you managed to cut one.

Looks like the owner of the ball pictured might be able to get his money back. ;D

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 07:16:20 AM »
Here is a perspective a little different than those of the elitist  ;D
PLUS  did most of you know that T Paul somehow has a Spalding connection?

XXXXX's very intriguing story of his affinity for the technological side of Spalding golf products reminds me that a similar-if-more-bucolic inquisitiveness drove me in the same manner.  Having signed on with the company during the year prior to the public launching of the Top Flite...and working the poorest territory in the land, I anxiously awaited the debut of a golf ball which I hoped would make us more competitive in that product category.  I never dreamed what we were in for in terms of market dominance with this item!  Sure, the tour players disdained it and the top amateurs made cracks about it being "a rock" and that it was unworkable around the greens...but the Top Flite was Bob Molitor's monumental legacy to our game.  It was the "peoples' ball".  And it became the ball whose playing characteristics were quite like the man who invented it.  Each was patient, each was possessed of a quiet dignity and each won out in the long run.  Mr. Molitor's golf ball and the late Gary Adams' Pittsburgh Persimmon metal woods eventually--and quite unwittingly--formed a technological alliance that simply and routinely turned 250 yard drives into 325 yard drives.  And, as all the AGS alumni seem to agree, our compensation went upward and the company's fortunes and image were magically transformed for the better.  And the humble Bob Molitor, with no fanfare, forever changed the face of golf.  And, because Mr. Molitor was a modest man, and because our great company was shamelessly and stupidly and selfishly mis-managed into the very ground around it before Mr. Molitor was adequately clarioned as the most significant golf ball developer in the history of the game, players such as John Daly, Eldrick Woods, J.B. Holmes, Phil Mickelson, Bubba Watson, Lucas Glover and Dustin Johnson will never have a clue as to why they hit it so far.  Will some talking head like Mike Tirico ever say? "The game of golf lost a great product pioneer last week in the person of Spalding's Bob Molitor.  And today, every golf ball in play is a Molitor at heart."  No, that won't happen.  It's akin to, say, Steve Jobs not knowing that he'd be nowhere without Thomas Edison.  And that's a shame.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 02:40:31 PM »
I remember being a huge fan of the Molitor golf balls when I was 8 or 9 years old, just taking up the game.  Great memories for me.  Condolences to his family.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back