News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Billsteele

Congress Lake (Ross) Hartville, Ohio...Any Thoughts?
« on: July 26, 2010, 11:39:06 AM »
Later this week, I will be playing Congress Lake, a Donald Ross design in Northeastern Ohio. Has anybody played it? What did you think?

jonathan_becker

Re: Congress Lake (Ross) Hartville, Ohio...Any Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 12:15:23 PM »
Bill,

I used to have swim meets there a lot when I was a kid.  I haven't played the course, but my Dad has played it a few times and he loves it.  It's a really nice club and I've been all over the grounds, but like I said, I haven't played it.

I wish I could be of more help, but at least here's a link with photos.  Have fun.

http://gallery.me.com/dimpledrock#100356

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 12:17:49 PM »
Very cool place, Willie Park Jr. and Donald Ross. Ends with a short par-3. Wonderful moraine-like contours on half the fairways. Too bad no holes along Congress Lake itself. Will send you the Ron Forse Master Plan.
Brad

Brian Laurent

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 12:48:07 PM »
Bill-
Please report back...I'm looking forward to hearing about the course.  I have been on property, but not played it.  Seems to be on a great piece of property and I've heard nothing but good reviews about the course.
Brian
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Billsteele

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 01:51:29 PM »
Will post my thoughts when I get back.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:10:36 PM by Billsteele »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 04:17:11 PM »
I will be interested in hearing your thoughts as well.  My home club is a Ross/Park design and I would love to see some pictures!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:11:34 PM »
Only played it once but I was blown away since I could find a little about it prior to playing.  Probably not on any top 100 list but I bet the raters from Golfweek are encouraged to go give it a look.

Congress Lake is the perfect example why Ohio golf does not get enough credit.  Ask 99% on here where to play in Akron and Congress Lake won't even make the list, yet it is a terrific golf course.  Maybe the members like it that way... 

The two nines are run in about a clockwise loop.  The holes on the front have a lot of up hill shots into the greens and more elevation change while the back nine is more rolling and maybe overall better land for golf.

Brad mentions the moraine like contours and they are very prevelent on the back nine.  One of the limiting factors maybe that with the stratification of distances golfers can hit the ball today they may have lost some of their strategic interest for the above average length player.

As Jonathan mentions it is quite a big piece of property.  That place goes on forever and every inch of it including the course and buildings looked extreemly well maintained.

I would be interested to learn what parts are from the Willie Park layout.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 10:42:55 PM »
Here's a few teaser pics for you Bill....

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 01:17:16 PM »
Great shots!

If my memory serves me right, that first picture is of the first hole with the second green complex behind it.  That second hole is a short, devilish par-3 with a small green to aim at.  The course was a real treat to play.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tom MacWood

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 09:30:44 PM »
Later this week, I will be playing Congress Lake, a Donald Ross design in Northeastern Ohio. Has anybody played it? What did you think?

I like the course. Don't expect the Lake to be incorporated into the design because its not. I had some expectation that might be the case. The interesting old clubhouse however is right on the Lake.

The course is actually a combination of Willie Park & Ross, more Ross than Park, but there are definitely some remnants of WP. I suspect the two par-3s greens on the front that share a crown are Park's. Some the greens are prototypical of Park as well. When I played it the course was very soft.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:32:47 PM by Tom MacWood »

C. Sturges

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 03:30:54 PM »
Great Pics Dean!  It is a great course!  I would love to go play it with Hickories, the back nine is short by todays standard.  With that it is hard to overpower the course.  It would be a great course to be a member at and have a house there.
Chris

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 02:21:28 PM »
Great pics! Have fun Bill! Two Ross courses in one week, you should (almost) be ashamed of yourself for the gluttony!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back