News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Trevor

Herbert Warren Wind's 1955 Masters Preview - Pictures
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:07:34 AM »
I found a copy of the 1955 Sports Illustrated Masters Preview lying around and thought it would be of interest.  The hole descriptions are worth a peek.  One thing i'm wondering after reading the descriptions, does anyone know why/who moved the 11th tee from the right of 10 green to it's current location?  Obviously Jones was there to oversee that change as he's alive at this time...
"When expectations are low, they can be met"

Jim Nugent

Re: Herbert Warren Wind's 1955 Masters Preview - Pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:23:32 AM »
One hole today plays shorter today than back then.  16.  In 1955 it was 190.  Now I think the longest is around 178.  Does anyone know when/why they shortened it?  Also did they play 16 from shorter tees on some days back then, like they do now?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 08:55:08 AM »
Looks like one photo among the bunch...Jones smoking the stick.  Roberts' shot looks like a photo of a portrait and the rest are hole sketches.  Looks like Herb wasn't handy with the camera, or ANGC had no publicity shots to provide.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark McKeever

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 10:08:59 AM »
Interesting.  I never knew the tee was to the right of ten.  I would think that's a tougher angle to hit the fairway as it would dogleg and run slightly away from you.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Trevor

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 03:26:48 PM »
So it looks like I'm going to answer my own question:  I'm told from an Augusta native friend of mine that they moved the tee in 1950 and cut a new fairway out of the trees on the left.  The goal was to lengthen the hole and bring the water more into play.  To this end, they also dammed Rae's Creek to create the pond to the left of 11 green.
"When expectations are low, they can be met"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back