News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Moore II

Yeah, you read that right. To kick off the telecast, Rich Lerner said the renovation work over the past 5 years was done by Lester Green. Well isn't that special. The lack of intelligence people posess never ceases to amaze me. Yuck.

Jon Spaulding

Re: Restorations of The Old White done by Lester Green...Oh really?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 01:03:50 AM »
I liked how Lerner read from his notepad.....caught the green thing as well.

it's just so much less painful for gca nerds, when the tour plays at the normal, non beard puller approved venues......

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 01:16:49 AM »
The lack of intelligence people posess never ceases to amaze me.

Just preserving that sentence....a slow pitch right over the plate.  

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:27:21 AM by Kevin_Reilly »
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 06:16:41 AM »
I saw that as well, he corrected himself later by using Mr. George's correct name.

But did you see Nick Faldo talk about the course and the job Lester did?  Real and sincere passion.  I haven't played a Faldo course, but it was evident that he has a passion for golf course architecture and respects CBM/Raynor and Lester George (or is it Lester Green?). 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Steve Kline

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 07:23:56 AM »
Not including the rain delay, the coverage sucked yesterday. I specifically made a point to watch because of the venue. While they opened the show talking about CBM and the redesign and that we would see a Redan, Eden, etc. I didn't see/hear much after that. What I did see were too long interviews with the governor of WV and Arnold Palme (and please stop putting Arnie on TV, the guy is starting to lose it).

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 07:28:52 AM »
Hope you all get to play it.  Lester's work at this Mac gem is excellent.  Old White is simply pure fun to play - over and over.  JC

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 08:14:22 AM »
Lester Green is actually a portion of the name Lester used during a brief and ill-fated run at professional wrestling.  He was known as George LeGreen and wore a green uni in homage to his then-favorite grass color of green.  When he became a convert (on the road to Ballascus, I believe...)to firm, whispy, wavy browns, his manager threw him out.

On the comical side, the fellows on PGA Tour Radio have been 100% accurate in using his name properly.  Congratulations, Lester.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:22:31 AM »
They interviewed Davis Love and he was absolutely in love with the course and couldn't stop smiling during the entire interview.  Said the features were incredible and he tries to use CBM and Raynor features when he is designing a course.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 08:24:59 AM »
I saw that as well, he corrected himself later by using Mr. George's correct name.

But did you see Nick Faldo talk about the course and the job Lester did?  Real and sincere passion.  I haven't played a Faldo course, but it was evident that he has a passion for golf course architecture and respects CBM/Raynor and Lester George (or is it Lester Green?). 

The only Faldo course I ever played was designed by Curely and Schmit ;D
Coasting is a downhill process

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 10:16:20 AM »
Mac,

I also caught Faldo's enthusiasm.  He seemed very impressed with Lester and the work done there.  We have a coporate event which will hopefully be held there next year.  The telecast has really whetted my appetite to see the course firsthand....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 10:36:03 AM »
Ronald:

You're wrong about why Lester is sometimes known as Lester Green. It has nothing to do with any previous wrestling career (before getting into architecture Lester was actually a career military officer into topo maping and blowing shit up). One of Lester's serious avocations is old classic American cars (seriously) and like Kenny Perry he has had a lot of real muscle cars and such.

Lester occasionally "runs shine" too. I know that because he ran some up to my barn/office in Pennsylvania one time (it was in a pretty small bottle and Lester said if he got caught with it he just claims it's a urine sample and that pretty much stops the cops asking any more questions). So the truth is to avoid the Feds and the West Virginia county and state cops Lester is known as Lester Green in West Virginia and Lester George in his home state of Virginia and most other states.

So Rick Lerner did some good research and got it right. The Old White and this tournament is in West Virginia and in that state Lester is Lester Green.

Jud_T

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Cirba

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 11:12:31 AM »
Any relation to this guy?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 11:23:39 AM »
Ah, Mike, yes - that man's name was Moe Green, and the city he invented was Las Vegas! This was a great man: a man of vision and guts. And there isn't even a plaque, or a signpost, or a statue of him in that town! Someone put a bullet through his eye. No one knows who gave the order. When I heard it, I wasn't angry; I knew Moe -- I knew he was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up dead -- I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen! I didn't ask who gave the order -- because it had nothing to do with business!

Tim Book

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 11:35:22 AM »
I also made some time to run the TIVO thur the coverage yesterday in hopes of learning something about the course.  Besides the fact that the course ends on a par three and there were possibly some Macdonald template holes used I learrned nothing.  I am continued to be disappointed by the Golf Channel coverage.  How about a 'fly over' of a hole or two?  Maybe even some new fangled computer generated image of a hole or two might be nice.  The coverage is 99.9% about the players and I get that but how about some history of the resort or even better the course?  They are now covering most tour stops for four full days.  That is a lot of hours watching Daly airmail greens from 75 yards out.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
This one actually sounds like a slip of the tongue, since he said it right later.

However, commentators telling us that results from wedges to the green from the fairway would have been far different with square grooves seems a bit ignorant. Especially when they repeat it at different points in the telecast.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Randy Thompson

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 12:01:47 PM »
Ballyhack looks really strong. The kid has talent. Loved the mixture of design styles and artistically its a home run. Have to play it some day before I am allowed to comment any more on this site! Twenty years ago there was a general consenous in the architectural community that if your last name was not DYE, Nicklaus, Fazio you were doomed in breaking into this career. Then came Doak and Coore´s and I keep seeing some really great works on this site without the forementioned last names. Got to love it! Hey, lets start soemthng new,¨" JUST SAY NO, to professional signature golf designs! They have served there purpose in history, forced the era of real live archies, to dig deep and produce something more than a pretty picture!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 12:16:29 PM »
Peter, Moe wouldn't have liked it if you misspelled his last name!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back