News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Listening today, it became apparent what the average golf fan thinks of architecture. Katrek, a professional golf reporter, put out a quote along the lines of:  I'm a big fan of CB MacDonald and Seth Raynor.  I didn't know they did much work together, but I like their individual courses.

It's one of those partially correct, partially ignorant quotes that simply makes you smile.  The show is called Teeing It Up and is probably available as a podcast on their website.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mac Plumart

Re: Brian Katrek of PGATour Cable Radio...comment on CBM and SR
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 07:06:16 PM »
Perhaps this clearly demonstrates how much of a niche audience golf course architecture really has.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 08:30:08 PM »
Brian Katrek is one of the best radio golf guys in America. I preface this by saying that he is a good personal friend and has made the big mistake of having me on his shows (2 radio & 1 TV) far too often. That having been said, I'm going to give him a great deal of grief over this.

Forgive his ignorance guys, but listen to his shows (Sunday Morning 9am on 790theZone in Atlanta, and Southern Golf Weekly on Comcast in addition to his PGARadio show) as they are really good and entertaining...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 08:44:35 PM by Philip Young »

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:34:26 PM »
Well, it is sort of true that they didn't work together all that often. After all, as best I can tell, CB Macdonald only designed 12 golf courses, and I do recall that Seth Raynor didn't work with him on all of those. So, as for total volume, they didn't actually work together that much, but as a percentage of CB Mac's work, it was a high percentage. But either way, the comment wasn't really directed towards the architecturally educated audience. And given the exclusive nature of CBM's work, 90% of the golfing public probably hasn't heard of him.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »
Well, it is sort of true that they didn't work together all that often. After all, as best I can tell, CB Macdonald only designed 12 golf courses, and I do recall that Seth Raynor didn't work with him on all of those. So, as for total volume, they didn't actually work together that much, but as a percentage of CB Mac's work, it was a high percentage. But either way, the comment wasn't really directed towards the architecturally educated audience. And given the exclusive nature of CBM's work, 90% of the golfing public probably hasn't heard of him.

John K Moore:

If Raynor did not work with Macdonald on all of his courses, I'd like to know which of them he didn't.  As far as I know, he worked on National and on every one after that ... the only one before that was Chicago Golf Club, and Raynor went back there in the 1920's to completely rework it, with Macdonald's blessing.

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 09:26:49 PM »
Tom-I knew that Raynor did not work with Macdonald at Chicago originally. I was fairly sure he worked on every other course, but when I looked it up on worldgolf.com it did not list Raynor on all of his courses, which I knew was wrong in most of the cases where he was not listed. However, my first post still stands, given a total volume, they didn't work together all that often. Certainly as a percentage, they worked together most all the time, but as a gross total, 11 times is not a huge volume, especially given Raynor's later volume of work. The comment made on the radio was ignorant to those in the know, like most here, but the general public would say "oh, they worked together 11 times, thats not all that often." I did not realize that CBM only designed 12 courses, with only 11 still existing today until I looked to see where an open-to-the-public CBM course could be found; The Old White is the only on.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 10:45:47 PM »
This is ToMAYto-ToMAHto...

Listening today, the lads on PGATour Radio discussed architecture more than I've ever heard them do before.  Maybe that's because they finally have architecture to discuss.  It's a pleasure to hear.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 11:15:46 PM »
This is ToMAYto-ToMAHto...

Listening today, the lads on PGATour Radio discussed architecture more than I've ever heard them do before.  Maybe that's because they finally have architecture to discuss.  It's a pleasure to hear.

Indeed. It was also interesting to hear them talk about the holes on the telecast as well. Talking about their inspirations and such. Pretty cool.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 04:54:42 AM »
For those interested they'll be talking a lot of architecture today as I'll be on air with Brian at 10:30 am... Could be fun or boring... I don't know when his shows are repeated...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back