News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will MacEwen

Bandon one-day "slam"
« on: July 26, 2010, 06:02:23 PM »
golf.com/SI writer Alan Shipnuck is playing all four courses at Bandon today.  It will later be a feature on The Golf Channel.

story:  http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2010/07/alan-shipnuck-attemps-to-play-all-four-bandon-courses-in-a-day.html

twitter:  http://twitter.com/AlanShipnuck

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Bandon one-day "slam"
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »
As long as he doesn't get slowed down by players in front and the TV crew following him around it should be pretty easy to get in I would think.  I wish I could trade places with him today...that's for sure.

JR Potts

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 06:12:32 PM »
No shit.

What a great day.  Just caught up on his tweets....that's good reading.

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 06:21:54 PM »
I suspect the magazine paid Bandon quite a bit of money to reserve him some 'special' tee time with no one remotely in front of him for an hour or so. I can see it being done, for sure. I mean, its probably light for 14+ hours there this time of year. I'd for sure change him places too.

Richard Choi

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 06:22:50 PM »
Eminently doable if you schedule Pacific and Old Mac as the first and last round of the day (by far the most crowded). I've played Bandon Trails in 2 1/2 hours in June. You should easily do Bandon and Trails in 3 hours. You should be able to do Pacific in 3 hours if you are the first group out and you should have 4 to 5 hours of sunlight for Old Mac to finish (including about 30 min for lunch and 45 min for transportation between).

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »
Order of play: PAcific, Bandon, Old Mac, Trails.  I think he was wrong to put Trails last.  It is the toughest walk of the first three IMO.  That climb up 16 will be a bear as the 70th hole of the day.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 06:45:16 PM »
Those tweets are good stuff

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »
 8).. because its there.   and is he keeping score?  surprised he's doing BT last, probably for the drama of that last hill climb..

Since the BT -OM combo loops in one day was called the "caddy-killer", i can't wait to read about his personal sould searching journey and then the recovery massages and shoe selections for PODS Illustrated..

why doesn;t he just go up to alaska and play for 22 hours in a day.. it might be more interesting to see how he could deal with bears at 3:30 am than blisters
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 06:49:35 PM »
Carl - you're SO right - here's the latest:
It's blowing a consistent 35. Just carved an 8-iron to 20'...from 89 yards out!!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 06:50:58 PM »
A long retired club captain Hugh Blenkin has managed 100 holes in a day at Rye in the winter when it's only light between 8am and 4pm.

No tweets though!!
Cave Nil Vino

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 07:50:39 PM »
Bandon Dunes was closed because of maintenance until their 9:50 time, so the first two courses had no one in front of them. Wind estimate may be high, forecast for the next hour is about 10-15 and dropping. Leg muscles may lock up getting off the shuttle at 15 T. Good luck and utilize the resort masseuses and jacuzzi.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 08:01:26 PM »
So jealous!

Mr Keiser was chatting with us on the first tee of Old Mac about doing a "Solstice" event where you play all four courses in one day.

I say - No problemo!

Agree with Rich on the ideal planning - Pac Dunes, Trails, Lunch and Red Bull, Bandon, Old Mac - Epic

Will MacEwen

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 08:04:49 PM »
The good thing about playing BT last is it will likely have the least traffic, so it may be clear sailing.

They just finished OM - must still have close to 4 hours daylight?

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 08:21:34 PM »
The good thing about playing BT last is it will likely have the least traffic, so it may be clear sailing.

They just finished OM - must still have close to 4 hours daylight?

Sounds like an emergency 9 may be in order.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »
I suspect the magazine paid Bandon quite a bit of money to reserve him some 'special' tee time with no one remotely in front of him for an hour or so. I can see it being done, for sure. I mean, its probably light for 14+ hours there this time of year. I'd for sure change him places too.

Who's zoomin' who? 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Carl Nichols

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 08:51:17 PM »
How much less daylight today vs. June 21?

John Moore II

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 09:17:47 PM »
How much less daylight today vs. June 21?

Probably 30 minutes or so, 45 at most. At least that is the rough time difference here in Virginia.

Who's zoomin' who? 

Bogey

I don't get it??

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 09:20:02 PM »
Did you see that full moon last night?

Bet you could've played. Reminded me of about ten years ago when the moon's light was going to be one of the brightest ever. Sheryl and I went out to Spanish bay and putted the 14th green.  No glow balls either.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Benham

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 09:29:44 PM »

Reminded me of about ten years ago when the moon's light was going to be one of the brightest ever. Sheryl and I went out to Spanish bay and putted the 14th green.  No glow balls either.

Sure, putting ... ;)
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 09:38:33 PM »
I like his latest Tweet:

Barely have the energy to type this. Send help.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Jason McNamara

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 10:07:35 PM »
North Bend Muni Airport (OTH)
North Bend, OR (Coos County)
N43° 25' 02" W124° 14' 46"

For Mon, Jul 26 2010 Time zone: Los Angeles (GMT-7)
Local time (above TZ):19:02

Civil Twilight Start: 05:27
Sunrise:              06:00

Sunset:               20:46
Civil Twilight End:   21:19

Midday at:            13:23
Length of day:        14:46

...about 40 mins shorter than 21 June.  It's cloudy apparently, so twilight could get tricky if he's still out there.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 11:14:15 PM »
Done at 8:52 local time or thereabouts. Maybe 20 minutes of light to spare. I met Alan and a friend of his (probably KP) a couple of years ago over dinner at Ballyneal. They had flown that morning from SF, driven to and played Ballyneal and were asking driving routes and times to Sand Hills and Dismal River. Last I saw they were headed to the parking lot. This may have seen ambitious to some, but they're used to it. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:07:21 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
There's a yearly 100 hole tournament at Hamburg's Falkenstein, one of the best courses in Germany (Harry Colt). I haven't played in this event, but know some who have and they all wholeheartedly recommend it. The course is obviously reserved for the tournament and there is always a large crowd in the evening to welcome those, who actually made it. They are in their 45th year or so, so this one of the oldest tournaments anyone can play (well, handicap 12 or so needed).

It takes place on the longest day of the year (June). You start at 4:20 AM and play the first three rounds continously. At about 11:00 AM there is a short break and then you head off for rounds 4 and 5. That is the point where most participants lose track of the time and things get ugly. Most will return to the clubhouse at some point and a few will go out yet again and complete the 100 holes at around 9-10 PM. It'll cost you something like 10$ per round - you'll never play one of the world's top courses cheaper than that.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 06:27:47 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 08:23:52 AM »
Impressive...you would of thought he would of started his first round a little earlier though, perhaps to be the first person of the tee.
H.P.S.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 08:41:49 AM »
At Ballyneal this month, the caddies told us of a pair of caddies who set out to complete 100 holes in a day, and succeeded, though it was by no means easy. They started at about 5:30ish in the morning, and finished after 8pm.  Funny part is that they claimed the toughest part of the journey was the walk from 18 to the clubhouse each time...

I love golf, but I just don't think I could do it. I'm very impressed!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back