News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Derek Dirksen

Re: What is shaping?
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 11:20:41 PM »
Joe

"Finish shaping is different that shaping. Finish shaping, left to anyone without proper methodologies, will undo much of what a talented, knowledgeable shaper had in mind during the creation process. Methodologies vary, of course, but there are some things one can do to retain the original thoughts and shapes while doing the finish phase of shaping. I prefer to finish what I started, especially greens and bunkers, not because no one else can learn, but with the image of the subgrade in my mind, I can recreate the original thought in the finish grade faster than teaching/monitoring someone else doing the work. People who you work with often can get into your head and appropriately finish what you started".

I totally agree with you on this. I struggle with this every day over here in Korea.  I got 2 "D3"guys behind me that do an alright job but it never has the same feel (atleast in my head) as what I had roughed in when they get done.  I get to finish my greens and bunkers but the fairways are changed quite a bit from what was originally there.  I miss being able to do both the rough and finish shaping of an entire hole.  Things get done so different over here, there are times when drainage and irrigation are on the same hole you are still shaping. 

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 11:28:19 PM »
Peter:

That is a wonderful workup for a play. But I encourage anyone who has never done it before to spend a day or better yet a week or so with an architect on a site in the process of a routing and "designing up" phase. If you are anything like me you can't believe how different it is than you might think it will be before you ever do it. But it is a very beautiful thing if you really love golf architecture and particularly the conceptual aspects of it.

I've been out there on site with maybe 4-5 different architects and it's never even remotely the same thing. Gil and Jim Wagner, Ron Forse and Jim Nagel (or is it Hanse and Nagel and Forse and Wagner ;)), Ron Prichard or Bill Coore or Lester George and his guys and even Kye Goalby. But to me the most interesting of all were the times out there with Paul Cowley. I have never met anyone in architecture that I consider to be as interesting a thinker, theoretical and otherwise, about golf architecture than he is.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:39:14 PM by TEPaul »

Ian Larson

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 11:49:28 PM »
TE - my arms are hanging down by my side still, my hands resting on the keyboard and not raised in the air...

But while I'm at it (typing that is), that exchange you had with Paul C is inspiring me to create an one act play that you can perfom together.  It's called: "Someone Get Me a Cigarette".

Scene One

Tom approaches Paul, standing on a broad and gently rolling natural expanse. Tom butts out a cigarette before:

Tom: What is shaping?

Paul: Why do you want to know?

Tom thinks about this. He lights another cigarette. He thinks some more. The curtain comes down.

Scene Two

Tom and Paul are as they were.  Tom butts out a cigarette.

Tom: What is shaping?

Paul: I hear it's raining in Kuala Lampur. (Pause) Strange.   

Tom: An egg salad on rye - with a twist of lemon. 

(Pause)

Paul: Alright. (pointing off stage, towards the horizon) Look over there.

Tom does. And as he does, a light shines down from on high, illuminating him.

Tom: Damn!  (Pause) Someone get me a cigarette. 

The curtain comes down.

Brilliant! Bravo! The comedy on this site is fantastic tonight! And so far it's all at TEPauls expense!!!

TEPaul

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 12:10:56 AM »
"And so far it's all at TEPauls expense!!!"

That's why I'm here Ian. If this website didn't have a foil like me it would be a whole lot worse than it already is!  ;)

Rob Swift

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 02:55:38 AM »
What is the RACV club?

Steve,

The RACV Club is a local golf course here in Melbourne we finished constructing early last year, The link below has a few pics of it.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36330.0/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back