News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

"US Open Doctor" title retired?
« on: July 23, 2010, 09:20:51 PM »
Has the media's title of "US Open Doctor" been retired?  I really haven't heard Rees Jones mentioned in that context since Torrey Pines. 

Is Rees on the outs with the USGA?  Is Mike Davis more into working on set-up than redesign?

John Moore II

Re: "US Open Doctor" title retired?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:30:36 PM »
I think it may be a product of a weakened economy causing clubs to rethink major redesigns specifically for the US Open. Those projects might be a thing of the past.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 09:59:51 PM »
Has the media's title of "US Open Doctor" been retired?  I really haven't heard Rees Jones mentioned in that context since Torrey Pines.  

Is Rees on the outs with the USGA?  Is Mike Davis more into working on set-up than redesign?

Since Rees Jones has done two renovations at Congressional and I think they just added some new tees with Rees, I would say he is still involved with the 2011 US Open being played at Congressional.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:03:02 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »
Mike - good info-  I didn't know he reworked Congressional for next year.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 10:18:03 PM »
Does Mike Hurdzan now get to use the title? ;D

Tom MacWood

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:25:18 PM »
Has the media's title of "US Open Doctor" been retired?  I really haven't heard Rees Jones mentioned in that context since Torrey Pines. 

Is Rees on the outs with the USGA?  Is Mike Davis more into working on set-up than redesign?

Are you kidding?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »
no

Tom MacWood

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 10:29:16 PM »
It is rotating title. RTJ had it before Rees, and many others before and after. Did you notice the changes to Pebble Beach?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 10:56:39 PM »
I'm going down later this year to play Congressional, but my understanding is that the changes are pretty extensive.

All the greens were rebuilt, and some were regraded and reshaped and recontoured.

Many new tees were added, some at much different angles than previously.

Fairways were recontoured to create "upslopes" in the driving areas, to retard the rolling of the ball.

Not sure about bunkering...all this is second-hand information from a person I know who just played there after it re-opened and is well familiar with the course.

He says it's a beast, which is not surprising if they are trying to re-re-re-toughen it again for high-level tournament play.

SL_Solow

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 01:58:42 PM »
Maybe he"ll be called the PGA and Ryder Cup Doctor after the latest changes at Medinah.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 10:15:14 PM »
Mike C:

Eager to hear your comments on Congressional.

I have always viewed the course as being nothing more than a DC location -- the golf architecture is simply one similar hole followed by another. Nothing really stands out and save for the historical connection of Venturi's epic win the rest is really forgettable in my mind.

How the layout gets rated is tied solely to its hosting of major events.

Finesse play is not present and it's simply bang driver long and straight -- over and over and over again.

Your friend was spot on -- beast -- which ryhmes with the word "least" for me. ;)

Tom Yost

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 06:30:40 PM »
Probably won't be announced until after the Am, but I understand Rees will be called in to "fix up" his brother's course up there in Tacoma.

;)

Brad Klein

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »
Maybe it's just that writers and editors have been alerted to avoid using one of the worst cliches in all of golf. I know i told my editors that under no condition could they ever edit that term into anything I've ever written. It's right up there with "signature hole" and  "championship course," though it actually seems to hurt more just to hear it since it's not just a cliche but an indication of all the wrong thinking, decision making and ego-mania.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 06:51:20 PM »
Tom Yost,
Wow - we all know about the fraternal relationship in the Jones clan..  Wouldn't that be a huge slap in the face of RTJ Jr.?

Brad  - thanks for sharing!

Mike_Young

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 08:12:23 PM »
Are any architects on the executive committee now? ;)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 10:07:29 PM »
Are any architects on the executive committee now? ;)

Actually yes. Steve Smyers is on the committee.

http://www.usga.org/news/2009/February/2009-USGA-Executive-Committee-Elections-Announced/

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 12:01:39 PM »
Maybe he"ll be called the PGA and Ryder Cup Doctor after the latest changes at Medinah.

Same with Hazeltine, which is shut down until next spring. Rees is advising the club on the rebuilding of all 18 greens and re-grassing the fairways. There will be a few minor shape changes to the greens, to add a few more hole locations.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Michael Dugger

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 01:21:51 PM »
Regrass all greens and fairways???

Does anyone spend more money redoing stuff than Rees Jones?

Reworking of Atlantic

Reworking at Ocean Forest

All the readjusting in preparation for big tournaments.  I.E. Congressional, Bethpage.

I guess it keeps people employed  :-\
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Brad Klein

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 09:02:25 PM »
Must be great getting paid repeatedly to keep fixing your own mistakes until you get it right. We call it editing and we only get paid once.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Annuitization of revenue streams.  Brilliant business idea!!!   :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 09:31:15 PM »
Annuitization of revenue streams.  Brilliant business idea!!!   :)

This is one topic I just can't laugh about.

Our children's children are probably going to still be dealing with the mess we have made of the economy.

And the Rees Jones way of doing things is analogous to it...

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 11:40:45 PM »
Brad nailed it, but I am sure Rees in that great Hollywood tradition says" call me anything just call me something". Well something except retired unless your Brett Faurve.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 09:38:14 AM »
Cog Hill #4 recently Rees'd "in hope of an Open".  Maybe Brad's opinion is catching on with his fellow scribes.
Coasting is a downhill process

Tony Ristola

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 12:20:02 PM »
Regrass all greens and fairways???

Does anyone spend more money redoing stuff than Rees Jones?

Reworking of Atlantic

Reworking at Ocean Forest

All the readjusting in preparation for big tournaments.  I.E. Congressional, Bethpage.

I guess it keeps people employed  :-\
I do believe he rebuilt much of Congressional prior to the last US Open hosted there. After reading he's taking another crack at her, I wondered why the extensive work. I could understand some new tees considering what technology has done, but Mike reveals it's pretty invasive surgery.

He's not the only one among the biggies either. Pete Dye has revisited some of his designs too.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back