News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Great Names of Hazards and Other Features
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 11:10:38 AM »
Infierno

I was thinking the same thing.  Wolf Point's signature hazard.

Have a photo to share?

Is this it?

That's it!  "Infierno" with the wonderful 5th green down the fairway in the distance.  Thanks, Matthew.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 12:09:24 PM »
The Lion's Mouth, Country Club of Charleston:

I also think we should come up with a name for that bunker of Mike Young's at the 17th at Longshadow.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:13:18 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Roger Wolfe

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:27:59 PM by Roger Wolfe »

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 11:27:21 PM »
How about "The Dolly Parton's". Not sure who used it first as I believe it has been used at more than one course.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Matthew Runde

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 06:05:11 AM »
There were the Mae West mounds of Bel-Air.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 06:37:21 AM »
We've made up a ton of names for various hazards on our courses over the years, but we are the only ones who know them and use them ... I can't remember half of them now, myself.  The only one I've heard people use is the Shoe bunker on the 2nd hole at Pacific Dunes. 

My favorite name that someone else has given one of my bunkers was for the deep pot bunker behind the 7th green at High Pointe -- a friend asked if that was an abandoned well.

John Chilver-Stainer

Re: Great Names of Hazards and Other Features New
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 06:58:23 AM »
On a golf course I recently designed (Buna Vista G.C, Sagogn, Switzerland) two of the local golfers, Hans and Miggi, asked me seperately and at different times if I would be constructing a nasty “scottish bunker”.

I replied, I had a really good place for one, just before the 15th Green, where I was considering a deep pot bunker.
I told them seperately, for fun, I’d name the bunker after them.

After the course was completed I was confronted by Hans and Miggi at the golf club.

“Hey John, you’ve named that “scottish bunker” after me, not Hans haven’t you?” asked Miggi.

Hans says “no - John said he’d name the Bunker after me, didn’t you John?”.

Hmmm, I thought - how do I get out of this one?

I replied.

“Well traditionally we call this kind of bunker an "Ar..hole bunker” - who wants to own it?!!!!"

Hans declined and Miggi is now the proud owner!!!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 07:37:56 AM by John Chilver-Stainer »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back