News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

Barrington Hills Country Club
« on: July 21, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »
I was recently playing with a friend and he was discussing his other club, Barrington Hill Country Club in Barrington Hills, Illinois.  He mentioned that Doak has been doing some work over there and I didn't believe it.  A quick google search shows that he was correct.

Has anyone played it?  Any pictures?  Is it any good?

I grew up 10 miles away but I've never really heard much about it.

PCCraig

Re: Barrington Hills Country Club
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 08:33:12 AM »
I played there years ago in a high school match/practice as a team member's parents were members out there. It was a long time ago but I don't remember much about it other than it reminded me of other north shore country clubs a la Evanston / Exmoor.

How recent was T. Doak's work there?
H.P.S.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:01:46 AM »
I played there once after doing some work for a the client of a guy in my office. Has to be 15 years ago now. Nice greens and pretty hilly terrain. I was reminded of Medinah #1 (lots of tree-lined fwys). Certainly not a place you hear a lot about.

JR Potts

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 10:11:35 AM »

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 10:20:34 AM »
Never thought I would see Tom doing work on a course designed by the great Joe Roseman. :)
H.P.S.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 11:33:40 AM »
I had a cousin that was the golf pro for a short stint there in late 50s or early 60s.  He was very disinterested in the topic of GCA.  ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Moore

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 04:02:30 PM »
Never thought I would see Tom doing work on a course designed by the great Joe Roseman. :)

Pat,  I think it was Roseman and George O'neil of Beverly fame, probably with O'Neil as the principal designer.  I have not played it but heard good things. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Chris Flamion

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 10:15:37 PM »
Didn't even know it existed, and my wife has family there.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 12:00:06 PM »
It's been reported this is a special place. Tons of movement, variety with some plateaued, almost squarish greens. It was described to me as Parkland, but with plenty of width, as the trees are not choking the corridors.

Knowing how good the ground can be in that area, the questions is, why aren't there more "special' places in and around Chicago?

I might be wrong here Pat, but, Tom and team don't seem to take jobs at anything but special places.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 12:15:02 PM »

I might be wrong here Pat, but, Tom and team don't seem to take jobs at anything but special places.

Adam,

Not a knock on Tom or BHCC. More of a comment as to seeing his name listed among the great GCA's on Tom's restoration/renovation page. Joe Roseman designed the muni I worked at through high school on the North Shore.
H.P.S.

JR Potts

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 09:23:44 AM »
So I played here yesterday - and what a good golf course.  This place certainly deserves to be in the "hidden gems" category.  It's a unique place with a wide variety of par 4s and ground/hole movement.  The conditioning was impeccable and the greens were a blast to putt on.  That said, the greens were rolling quite slow due to the heat/humidity - and I suspect when sped up to 11ish, they would be quite devilish.

The course only had 3 par 3s and two par 5s.  It sported two drivable par 4s and had a ton of elevation - moving through hills on the front nine into a parkland/prairie on the back. 

I was blown away by it - in fact, I think it is my 6th favorite course in the Chicagoland area.  If you get the invite, go.  Plus, it's a neat club with great vodka lemonades.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 09:27:58 AM »
So I played here yesterday - and what a good golf course.  This place certainly deserves to be in the "hidden gems" category.  It's a unique place with a wide variety of par 4s and ground/hole movement.  The conditioning was impeccable and the greens were a blast to putt on.  That said, the greens were rolling quite slow due to the heat/humidity - and I suspect when sped up to 11ish, they would be quite devilish.

The course only had 3 par 3s and two par 5s.  It sported two drivable par 4s and had a ton of elevation - moving through hills on the front nine into a parkland/prairie on the back. 

I was blown away by it - in fact, I think it is my 6th favorite course in the Chicagoland area.  If you get the invite, go.  Plus, it's a neat club with great vodka lemonades.

Care to share the top 5 with us?

JR Potts

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »
Sure.

1. Shoreacres.
2. Medinah #3 (sentimental reasons likely)
3. Chicago Golf
4. Butler National
5. Olympia Fields - North

I have not played Old Elm, Skokie, Onswensia, Exmoor, Rich Harvest or Black Sheep.

But, I did like it a bit more than Beverly, Butterfield, Olympia Fields - South and Knollwood...four courses that are in my Top 10.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 09:58:35 AM »
Try Elgin CC and Naperville CC if you are looking for real Chicago area sleepers. Maybe not top 10 but close. Also Skokie is a must play -firmly in my Chicago top 5 behind Chicago Golf, Shoreacres, Butler, OFCC North. As an aside Medinah is top 10 -just too hard for my daily game/abilities, similar to Butler.

JR Potts

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 10:21:10 AM »
I've played Elgin and Naperville.  Both fun golf courses.  Elgin has a few kinky holes that detract from the overall course a bit I certainly enjoy playing it.  Naperville is just a little too repetitious for me to slip it into my Top-10.  That said, I haven't played it since the re-do.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 12:29:23 PM »
Sure.

1. Shoreacres.
2. Medinah #3 (sentimental reasons likely)
3. Chicago Golf
4. Butler National
5. Olympia Fields - North

I have not played Old Elm, Skokie, Onswensia, Exmoor, Rich Harvest or Black Sheep.

But, I did like it a bit more than Beverly, Butterfield, Olympia Fields - South and Knollwood...four courses that are in my Top 10.

What's the story with Butterfield?  In looking at overhead images, the differences between the current view on Google Maps and the one on Bing is striking.  Looks like a lot of work was done there... I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere, so i'll look for it, but I never really "hear" anyone talk about it.

thanks.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »

What's the story with Butterfield?  In looking at overhead images, the differences between the current view on Google Maps and the one on Bing is striking.  Looks like a lot of work was done there... I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere, so i'll look for it, but I never really "hear" anyone talk about it.

thanks.

Extensive work on all 27 holes by Steve Smyers and a cast of others from 2008 to 2010.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45148.0.html

http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/smyers_to_update_butterfield_cc

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48973.0.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »

thanks.

Extensive work on all 27 holes by Steve Smyers and a cast of others from 2008 to 2010.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45148.0.html

http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/smyers_to_update_butterfield_cc

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48973.0.html

thanks, Howard.  Has anyone played recently as these renovations have "matured" for a couple years?

JR Potts

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 01:12:58 PM »
I've played it a few times.  It's a perfectly nice golf course.  The changes are interesting to say the least.  I liked it better beforehand but understand why they made the changes they did.

That said, of all of Smyers work I've seen (5 different courses/renovations), it's my least favorite.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back