News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Odessa National in Delaware
« on: July 23, 2010, 09:28:54 AM »
I saw a link to this course on the Pitt to Ocean City thread...the course website lists Gil Hanse as co-designer with Joel Weiman, but I've never heard of the place.  Usually Gil's courses get some more ink on here...

How was GH involved?

How's the course?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Dan Herrmann

Re: Odessa National in Delaware
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:41:05 AM »
Brad,
I had exactly the same questions.  It's not on his website.

Tommy Williamsen

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:52:18 AM »
For what it's worth, a couple of reviews from golflink.com (both of which are good):
Review 1:
The fairways were pretty roomy on most of the holes so overall the faiways are pretty forgiving if you have trouble consistently hitting it straight. We played after it had rained overnight and it drizzled all troughout our round but despite all the water the course drained exceptionally well - soggy but no floods or abundance of casual water. The greens were interesting as they rolled fast despite being wet. I had attended the Barclays and some of the greens at Odessa were reminicent of the contoured and multi-tiered greens at Liberty National. Overall a fun layout and a fun course. A couple of holes were too close to the homes in surrounding development or too close to roads for my taste. A good assortment of tee boxes to accomodate different skill levels yet the risk reward was pretty balanced. Great value at $49 weekend with cart. No Clubhouse yet but it's due to be completed by Fall 2010. I'll be going back.

Review 2:
Played it twice in August, 2008. What a great track, especially for a new course. Lots of guessing required the first time, because of the number of blind shots, but 2nd time was MUCH better. No club house (yet), but I didn't go there for the clubhouse, but for the course, and it exceeded all my expectations

Adam_Messix

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 10:51:50 AM »
Odessa National is a fine course given that is was built on a basically flat piece of property.  The highlight of the course is the short par four fourth hole with dual fairways and many options on how to play the hole.  The greens have some nice contouring but not too outrageous. 

Having seen the course and Gil's work, I would bet the ON is mostly the work of Joel Wieman.  Wieman has designed some nice courses like Glen Riddle and the NLE Uplands in Maryland.  I would like to see him do a course on a nice rolling piece of property because he's a talented designer.

astavrides

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:53:29 AM »
It's a good course.  I enjoyed it.  I don't know the exact story, but I think the course is a lot more Weiman than Hanse.  Cirba said that one of the holes (a short par 4) was his favorite hole that he had played that year.  I didn't think the hole was that great.  He probably knows what Gil's exact involvement was.  The search function probably does too.

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 11:06:18 AM »
I've played it once and had a blast..it was relatively new when I went around, but was conditions were great.  My wife's parents live very close to the course and I'll be playing it over Thanksgiving holiday...I'll plan on bringing my camera and coming back with a full review and pictures

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
See previous thread:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36266.0/

Gil Hanse was hired by the original developer who went under. The new developer hired McDonald Construction to do the course. Joel Weiman is/was their in house architect. I don't know if he used Hanse's routing.

The course needs some maturity. It gets a lot of the rain that misses Philly. Some very good holes there.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 03:17:16 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.

Still weird that they are using GH's name...unless he gave permission.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back