News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

New Course vs Jubilee Course
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:04:07 PM »
There has been LOTS of talk about the Old Course but little about the other courses adjacent to the Old.

I have played the New twice and enjoyed it both times, but nothing like the Old.  It is of consistent interest but without the double greens and pervasive and punitive bunkering.

I have not played the Jubilee.

Could those who have played multiple rounds on both please compare and contrast?

And how does the Eden fit into the equation?

Thanks in advance!

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: New Course vs Jubilee Course
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:34:53 PM »
Bill I really like the Jubilie better. It is not really a better course but seems to have a more enjoyable collection of holes. I do not think the Eden is that good except to say you have played all the courses.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:47:38 PM »
Bill

I've only played the New, Jubilee and Eden courses the once but prefer them in that order.

The Jubilee was for mine close to the toughest course there with the New having some more memorable holes. The Eden was short and fun.

I enjoyed playing them but when I go back I'll only probably seek out playing TOC again....

Chris Kane

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 11:38:40 PM »
Bill, I'm sure we had this conversation over a pint at 1 Golf Place!

For mine it goes:
New
Eden - terrific greens but very ordinary 'through the green'
Jubilee - the toughest but the least inspiring

Brian Phillips

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 02:00:29 AM »
Bill,

I have played all the courses in St. Andrews apart from that course that I cannot spell....Strathy...whateveritiscalled...and would rank them as following:

New - lovely walk and some very nice strategy but I think I like it more because it not as blind as The Old course
Old - anti clockwise - only recently am I starting to really appreciate her.  I turned her down last year to play The Castle....
Castle - really enjoy playing it
Kingsbarns
Eden - fun after office hours course
Dukes - I love Tim's bunkering!
Old - clockwise - a mess especially up around hole 12, what a traffic jam!
Torrance - pretty good knock
Jubilee - yawn, when are we finished?
Devlin (now Kittocks) - I always struggle on so called "links" course with water, especially on the 2nd hole, left and right.  Not good.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:11:39 PM by Brian Phillips »
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

James Bennett

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 06:13:57 AM »
Bill

IIRC, The New has a double green.  Our group (2007) thought it a Doak 6.

I loved the Eden greens.

Benje
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David Sneddon

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 07:38:12 AM »
I love playing the Jubilee, I think it is a perfect introduction to Scottish links golf.  It does have a couple of quirky holes, but IMO, that just adds to the fun of playing the course.  The New on the other hand, plays much tighter and demands more accuracy off the tee since most holes are lined with gorse.  I like both courses, but the Jubilee is my favourite.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 09:39:52 AM »
Bill, I'm sure we had this conversation over a pint at 1 Golf Place!

For mine it goes:
New
Eden - terrific greens but very ordinary 'through the green'
Jubilee - the toughest but the least inspiring

If it was over a pint I probably forgot!

I wish we were having a few together there now!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 09:46:07 AM »
Bill

IIRC, The New has a double green.  Our group (2007) thought it a Doak 6.

I loved the Eden greens.

Benje

Right, 3 and 15 are double.  John Krystynak didn't tell me the first time I played it and I hit a wedge 10' away -- from the wrong flag!  Three putted from 80-90'.   :P

The 15th end is probably the most interesting green on the course, a lovely false front that transitions into a strong contour.

The deep swale in the par 3 green (#5?) is also very cool.

I liked the New a lot.  Really like par 5 #8 with the green tucked behind a large dune by the Loop of the Old.

Hope all's well at your end.   ;D

Brad Tufts

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 10:42:25 AM »
I was a big fan of the New.  Hopefully will get to see it again next year and reset my mental pics of it.

I remember the Jubilee being very difficult, and fair.  I think it has a nice place in the four courses, as the Old is pretty wide, the New playable, the Eden shortish....so there is a need for a ball-buster like the Jubilee.

Not that I would choose it over Kingsbarns or a jaunt to Carnoustie or some of the other fun courses in the area, but if you want to stay on-site, the Jubilee is a must-play.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 02:17:07 PM »
Bill,

I have played all the courses in St. Andrews apart from that course that I cannot spell....Strathy...whateveritiscalled...and would rank them as following:

New - lovely walk and some very nice strategy but I think I like it more because it not as blind as The Old course
Old - anti clockwise - only recently am I starting to really appreciate her.  I turned her down last year to play The Castle....
Castle - really enjoy playing it
Kingsbarns
Eden - fun after office hours course
Dukes - I love Tim's bunkering!
Old - clockwise - a mess especially up around hole 12, what a traffic jam!
Torrance - pretty good knock
Jubilee - yawn, when are we finished?
Devlin (now Kittocks) - I always struggle on so called "links" course with water, especially on the 2nd hole, left and right.  Not good.

Brian,

I've played them all a number of times apart from the Castle which I haven't played, the Old Course which I've only played once and the Dukes which I played countless times prior to the makeover but haven't played since. I wouldn't take much exception to your descriptions with possibly the exception of your description of the Jubilee which I would put on a par with the New for interest. I think I would put the Devlin ahead of the Torrance and rank it alongside the (old) Dukes.

Where I would largely differ with you is that I would put these last 3 bottom of the list not because they are bad designs, which they clearly are not, but because they just don't have that links turf which real joy of seaside golf (IMHO).

Niall

Brian Phillips

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 03:21:45 PM »
Tom Doak gives the Jubilee a 3...that is a tad low but it ain't much better than that.  He only gave the New a 5 but that is correct in being 2 points above The Jubilee. IMHO
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 03:29:40 PM »
My father and I spent a week in Scotland playing golf in summer 2008, we played the following courses, which I'll rank in order of my opinion:

TOC
Elie
Crail--Balcomie Links
Lundin
Scotscraig
New Course

All these courses were great to awesome, but I remember fewer holes from the New Course than any of the others on the list.  I would like to see the Eden and Jubilee courses next time, as well as Kingsarns and Crail--Craighead Links.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

David Sneddon

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 04:20:25 PM »
Tom Doak gives the Jubilee a 3...that is a tad low but it ain't much better than that.  He only gave the New a 5 but that is correct in being 2 points above The Jubilee. IMHO

I'd certainly agree with that, Brian.  I think the New is a much tougher course to play than the Jube.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 05:20:30 PM »
How do Ladybank and Scotscraig compare? What about Monifieth Medal?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 10:25:34 PM »
I think I have played the New Course a dozen or so times in the Calcutta Cup. In poor weather I think the par three ninth hole is the toughest hole of in Fife. My partner over the years, Ed Keith, stood up to the gales and consistently gave me a putt at the hole. A wonderful partner but by far the best wine selector in the club.

Bob

Brian Phillips

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 01:12:26 AM »

I'd certainly agree with that, Brian.  I think the New is a much tougher course to play than the Jube.
David,

I think that the New course is a better course than the Jubilee but I do not think it is tougher.  I feel that the Jubilee is an extremely tough golf course and harder to score on than the New.

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 11:16:59 AM »
The 9th at the New Course might be my favorite spot on any golf course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back