News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith OHalloran

Andy North on Carnoustie
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:10:24 PM »
During his introduction for the Senior Open Championship, Andy North said of Carnoustie "It is the best conditions possible, the fairways are as green as I have ever seen them, and the greens are soft enoough to actually stop and spin the ball"  Has he become GCA's pubclic enemy number 1?

Tim Gavrich

Re: Andy North on Carnoustie
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:15:16 PM »
During his introduction for the Senior Open Championship, Andy North said of Carnoustie "It is the best conditions possible, the fairways are as green as I have ever seen them, and the greens are soft enoough to actually stop and spin the ball"  Has he become GCA's pubclic enemy number 1?
I would imagine he meant the best conditions for scoring available.  At least I hope... ::)
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Daryl David

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »
I am sure that is what he meant.  Andy is a member of one of my clubs and I have had the opportunity to discuss courses and GCA with him a few times.  I know he pretty much thinks the way most of us do on this site.  He constantly laments that he doesn't have enough time to get to courses like Ballyneal, Pac Dunes etc where the ground game is in play.  He loves firm and fast, but knows the pros love slow and soft for scoring.

Brian Freeman

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 04:31:48 PM »
Wow, sad to hear.  Things apparently changed a lot in 3 weeks, it was a runway on June 28th.  I felt like Carnoustie was the perfect Scottish setup at the time - firm and fast, consistent without being over-manicured.  There and Dornoch were both amazing setups, Dornoch with deeper rough though.

Interested to see the setup on the DVR tonight.  I'll withhold further judgment until then.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »
The greens are not quick at all - and not so difficult to putt.
There are plenty of holes where you can land the ball fifty yards short of the green and run it on - so its hardly soft.
There were lots of tees forward today -  6 is one tee forward,8 is 20 up from the back,9 and 10 are a tee forward as is 12 (stlil a driver and a fairway wood).
15 was 20 forward as was 16 and 18 is way up.
Still its a difficult course and off the back the in any wind one of the most difficult in the world.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 05:11:28 PM »
The greens are not quick at all - and not so difficult to putt.
There are plenty of holes where you can land the ball fifty yards short of the green and run it on - so its hardly soft.
There were lots of tees forward today -  6 is one tee forward,8 is 20 up from the back,9 and 10 are a tee forward as is 12 (stlil a driver and a fairway wood).
15 was 20 forward as was 16 and 18 is way up.
Still its a difficult course and off the back the in any wind one of the most difficult in the world.

Hi Mike,

Just found out that you shot 75 today with no birdies!
What was the total yardage of the course today? When I played in my college days we played off the medal tees which was just under 7,000 yards and there are tees that take it over 7,500 yards!.
The greens would be slow with the wet weather that has fallen in the last 2/3 weeks I have played them when it has been a dry period and they were fast.

Enjoy tomorrow's round and hope you definitely make the cut

GCA- Did anyone see Watsons shot in the Water on the 18th it was about 18 inches!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back