News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Noel Freeman

Hirono GC- Japan's best, a second visit
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:51:47 AM »
It was with great trepidation that I revisited Charles Alison's Hirono this past spring.  I had previously played it 4 years ago in late winter/early spring when the conifers had yet to bloom and the course felt more spacious.  Furthermore, during that visit the turf was very brown and the bunkering actually blended nicely into the landscape.  In the last few years I have heavily studied Japanese budo (martial arts), even more so than golf.  When fighting an opponent, the Japanese often say Ichigo Ichie (one chance in life or one time, one meeting).  Each encounter is its own.  So I decided to return this year.  Furthermore in budo there is another proverb, No aru take wa, tsume o kakasu or "a hawk hides its talons".   I interpret this to say often a single visit is not enough to see the merits or detriments of a course, it may be hidden in plain sight.

I will make bold not to write a lot here, I contributed the essay on Hirono to the World Atlas of Golf, so I recommend that.  Let me say this, visiting during the summer revealed a few things.  Massive tree clearing is needed.  While the course is not claustrophobic, it is in need of width and a rebunkering scheme.  The current bunkering or "Alisons" are still attractive but compared with pictures of the 1930s, so much as been lost.  The course felt very much like Pine Valley is today (again an Alison connection)--with the tree incursions and not enough sandy waste.

But the strategies are still there.. I marveled over the angles Alison put into his strategies, the routing which would be at home on the Surrey heath, how it utilizes the property.  His green locations on small plateaus which often repel run-ups are a marvel.  Although the greens are wholly unoriginal (redone post WW II) they are still better than the other big courses I've seen in Japan (Kawana,Tokyo,Kasumigaseki).

What Hirono needs is to come under the aegis of a master renovator.  Truly it could be among the world's best.  Golf has it as Top 100 which it is surely deserving, but it should be much better, the bones of a great course are there, they just need hireki (revealing!)..

Hirono Clubhouse

The rather prosaic opener (502 par 5), free to hit any shot you would like.. A gentle opener.

The 3rd (461y par 4)-- hit a nice draw but be careful with the pond pinching in on the right upon approach

The 5th-- 152y  "Fiord", a wee high dropper 8 iron with a hint of fade...

The 6th--425y "Alps'.. Hit a fade over the mogul...

The 8th-353y-- the approach-- this hole has too many trees... Very delicate pitch.

At the turn---

The heavily bunkered inside the dogleg 10th--"Mekko" 351y

Approach to the long par 4 11th--Akashi Shore..

The tee shot on the long 596y par 5 "Pine Beach"-- This hole bends around the lake but needs tree clearing desperately on that side.. The strategy would be similar in ethos (not totally) to 18 at Pebble.

The 13th 167y "Loch Lomond"-- This hole has had the tee shot changed since Alison due to the previous hole being lengthened... It looks much more fearsome as the tee was perpendicular to the current one.. Curiously there was a bunker in the green at one time put in (and thankfully removed) by various greens committees.

The tee shot on the all world (at least for fairway slope) on the aptly named  388y Quo Vadis..

And the fairway slope-- Alison had once protected the right side to make an exacting tee shot with sand but that is gone.

Finally, the approach

Tee shot on the 568y 15th--"Ichino Tani".. Best hole on the course.. Note the Japanese black pine standing sole sentinel 330y away on the left..

Namba-san, former Georgia Tech player, my friend and Duval Devout Fan by a gully bisecting fairway which has bunkers cut into it and note the Pine protecting left side of fairway, most drives thus fall to the outside of the dogleg, lengthening the hole.. I note Nicklaus reached this in 2 with persimmons in the 60s.

Another view of this awesome fairway-

A look back at 15 from the green

#17--231y-- "Lakeside"  A fine 5 wood.. Note the fairway before the green.. Accepts a running draw or a high fade.

#18 home hole green

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 07:47:10 PM by NFreeman »

John Mayhugh

Re: Hirono GC- Japan's best, a second visit
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 12:33:21 PM »
Noel,
Thanks for posting these photos. 

There are some great looking holes, but I hate the Japanese garden look of all the bushes in the ravines. 

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »
Noel, thank you as well for these wonderful pictures. cheers and I hope you are doing well.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 09:02:08 PM »
Really enjoy the photos. Thank you. That's always been one of those dream courses for me. I agree that the bunkering looks good as-is, but those old photos are even more amazing. Here's one of the fifth from Ran's interview with Masa Nishijima for comparison's sake:

But it's not just the look of the bunkering - the old picture shows a much more severe green. How do the current greens play?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 09:18:37 PM »
Wow!!! Great pictures...thank you for posting.

It seems the course used to play far more wild and the course has been overgrown with trees a bit, otherwise it looks like a very solid Colt. Strange, but in alot of ways it looks very "RTJ-esque"
H.P.S.

john_stiles

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 09:47:23 PM »

Thanks for posting as it is a course most GCAers will never see.

Enjoyed the other older photos posted. 

Looks like the powers-in-charge planted a lot of pines like many courses in the US.

Gene Greco

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 11:04:17 PM »
Thanks for posting as it is a course most GCAers will never see.

Seconded
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 11:26:56 PM »
Thanks Noel for posting

I've really enjoyed the Japanese flavour of this and Rob's threads of late - more photo's would be greatly appreciated.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 11:31:06 PM »
Great pictures.

Brian Joines

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 12:06:35 AM »
Thanks for all of these pictures. I've enjoyed a look and your commentary on these Japanese courses I'll likely never see myself.

Noel Freeman

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 09:48:25 AM »
It is tough to say how Hirono's greens play vs. the past.  First of all the course was used as an airfield during WW II and then in 1948/49 it was restored (I think to the best of Alison's plan) by Osamu Ueda and Toyohiko Inui.  Also Alison did not stay around for Hirono to completion to begin with, he left that to Seichi Takahata and Chozo Ito (a journalist).  And I'm sure the greens were worked on over time from what I've been told and also I would guess top dressing has affected them.. Hole 12's green was moved so it is in a completely different location and #13 as I said once had a bunker installed by a committee chair..

The Japanese, culturally speaking are known masters of imitation, so the greens have the spirit I would guess of the original intent as drawn by Alison but obviously are not exact, but what is these days.  I would say as per the other courses in Japan's I've visited, they are wonderful putting surfaces, but how much better could they be?  I'm not even with all my travels qualified to say.. I'll leave that to the golf architects.

My hope is the club will see that Tokyo and Kasumigaseki have allowed gaijin architects to work on their courses.. Now these were renovations NOT restorations.. Hirono doesnt need a renovation, just a sympathetic restoration or heck just plain tree removal first.  The bunkering though is but a shadow of its former self even if still aesthetically pleasing and still with integrity for shot values.  They are still hazards but they should be much BIGGER ones.

In koryu or the ancient martial arts where a blood oath of loyalty was needed, the highest teachings of the art were known as "gokui".  Alison has left his gokui in the form of his plans for Hirono and a fair amount of commentary.  Whether the club realizes how great at inception was is up to them, I know that in martial arts the future of many of the Japanese variety is not in Japan but overseas..  Whether the Japanese will look to a foreign archie like I think they need to do is questionable.  I had a discussion a few years back with another person who had seen Hirono who compared it to Bethpage Black, right now as it is presented Hirono is not in that class, it is a notch below.  That said, in my humble opinion, restored it would surpass  the Black and rival Sunningdale or any heathland in quality.  
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 07:50:46 PM by NFreeman »

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 06:24:08 AM »
Tuco R

Thanks for the pix.  I am curious about the bunkers.  Like at Naruo, some seem to be in wierd spots. Was this an Alison trait?  Oddly, the bunkers don't look particularly deep to warrant any sort of fame as such.  Do courses in Japan generally have shallow bunkers? 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom MacWood

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 06:30:41 AM »
These bunkers look shallow?

John Sabino

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 08:37:25 AM »
Noel - thanks for posting this, very well done and I agree with your analysis. The 14th and 15th are breathtaking holes back to back. It's hard for pictures to really do justice to the severity of the slope on the 14th fairway, quite a unique hole. The par five 15th is a good strategic hole, which gives the golfer many choices on how to play the hole. The way the hole was routed among the ravines is fabulous. I found the weakest part of Hirono to be the greens which were mostly flat.

The hardest hole on the course is the 10th, primarily because after sitting and having the required heavy lunch and accompanying beers you are both stiff and a bit woozy! Your post brings back great memories of playing in a unique country. An experience of a lifetime.

John
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Philip Gawith

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 07:04:28 PM »
Thanks for posting Noel - great to see a Japanese course on here again. Hope to get there one day!

Noel Freeman

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »
Tuco R

Thanks for the pix.  I am curious about the bunkers.  Like at Naruo, some seem to be in wierd spots. Was this an Alison trait?  Oddly, the bunkers don't look particularly deep to warrant any sort of fame as such.  Do courses in Japan generally have shallow bunkers? 

Ciao 

The greenside bunkering I can say is deeper than the pictures (look at hole #5) than you think.  Really requires you to spin the ball well out of them.  But yes, some of the fairway bunkering looks out of play but that is because the course has narrowed, I mean Pine Valley has bunkers in the trees or at least it did  a few years ago, Hirono is not that bad but it has lost fairway width so some of these bunkers are widow as the contouring has narrowed.. I think this is a maintenance issue.

John- The trick with Japanese golf is to play so early that you play right thru lunch.  The member just has to do that for you.  I had an awesome curry for lunch that day, the food at the Japanese courses I've visited are awesome..

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 10:10:36 AM »
Noel,

I'm not sure if you have played Naruo, but that course looked much more interesting in the photos on that thread than Hirono looks.  Why is Hirono still considered the best in Japan in comparison to places that seem much more spectacular like Naruo and Kawana?

Noel Freeman

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 01:15:06 PM »
Chris-

Pictures can lie.  Kawana has the ocean at times as well as some great holes (i like #7 and 15 best) but the greens there are fine but not that interesting and they also have the two green system there which I am sorry just aethetically kills the course.  Also I did photograph holes 2,6 which are excellent and you really can't see some of the greatness from pictures--the angles and shot values are there at Hirono, it just is a shame it doesnt look like the pix from the 1930s.

Given 10 rounds b/t Hirono and Kawana, I'd go 6 for Hirono and 4 for Kawana... I wrote a piece on Kawana for Ran a long time ago..

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 12:23:30 AM »
Tuco R

Do courses in Japan generally have shallow bunkers? 

Ciao 

Sean:

The photographs don't do justice to the depth of the bunkers.  The Japanese have a simple name for said bunkers..."Allison Bunkers."  The English translation?  DEEP!  :D  The criticism would not be of the depth of the bunkers but rather the relative flatness of the greens.

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 07:53:46 AM »
It might just be me, but that 5th looks familiar. Quite like the 5th and 13th at Royal Wimbledon.
All very similar lengths also.

Hirono 5th:

R. Wimbledon 13th:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:58:12 AM by Scott Warren »

Noel Freeman

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 09:06:50 PM »
It might just be me, but that 5th looks familiar. Quite like the 5th and 13th at Royal Wimbledon.
All very similar lengths also.

Hirono 5th:

R. Wimbledon 13th:

Scott----Ah Royal Wimbledon, Started out so hopeful on the front 9 especially with the Caesar Camp formations but I'm afraid the Howard Swan re-bunkering killed me on the back..  I think that is #17 flag in your backround.  Some of said that the Wimbledon par 3s are some of the best done by Colt and Alison-- I cannot give it that high praise.  Swinley and Sunningdale Old/New are better, I also felt that the two par 3s on the back (the 13th as you have) both called for high fades and were similar shot values..

But we come to speak of Hirono and I can't say the 2 shots are the same or Alison borrowed one from the other. First, one is hitting over water which my camera shot does not show--at Wimby you are hitting over a vale.  Two, the original bunkering scheme and green were much more severe and even today you can't see the bottom of the flag (I believe) when hitting your tee shot.  But I must say I like your orignal hypothesis..

Scott Warren

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 12:50:46 PM »
Thanks for the extra info, Noel.

I'd agree with you about the threes at Wimbledon: 5 was a cool hole, but I'm not sure I needed to play it twice again at the 13th and 17th!

Mike Policano

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 05:02:01 PM »
Here is a little Noel F. Hirono story.

Couple of years ago Noel and I were hanging out in the dining room at Ballyneal. As we were eating, (I think the evil Dr. Childs was there), two Japanese men and a Japanese women walk in and sit down to eat.

Noel glances over at them and says, "I think I know that guy.  I played with him in Japan." I commented that Noel had spent too much time in the yucca looking for his golf balls.

Next thing I knew, Noel and the taller Japanese gentleman were bowing to each other. Go figure.

Cheers 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back