News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Then Jim Nantz says "I walked it; didn't play it". Then Nick comes back and corrects himself. IBF mentions NGLA and Nantz says he saw it last Saturday. What a suckup!
AKA Mayday

Joe McCormac

Re: Redan--The most famous is #15 at Prestwick according to Faldo
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 03:49:54 PM »
So bad, I do appreciate DF referring to the utility club as the "baffler"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 04:55:45 PM »
So bad, I do appreciate DF referring to the utility club as the "baffler"

Isn't that what Cobra called their early rescue clubs?

Wade Whitehead

Re: Redan--The most famous is #15 at Prestwick according to Faldo New
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 05:24:18 PM »
Bill McBride says: Isn't that what Cobra called their early rescue clubs?

Yes!

I'll give you three guesses as to Mr. Feherty's equipment sponsor.  The first two don't count.

WW
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 10:33:45 AM by wwhitehead »

JNC Lyon

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 08:45:47 PM »
Faldo was talking about the biarritz and said that it was modeled after the 16th at North Berwick yesterday.  God's honest truth. 

To be fair, the 16th green at NB does have some characteristics of a Biarritz green, no?

15th at Prestwick as the Redan?  That's pretty awful.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

TEPaul

Re: Redan--The most famous is #15 at Prestwick according to Faldo New
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 09:00:38 AM »
Shivas:

There are a pretty good number of golf architecture historians and analysts who do feel that Macdonald may've gotten the idea for the Biarritz swale from NB's 16th green. He certainly did mention going there to look at the course in 1906. And I think most good architecture analysts and historians are pretty sure the famous Biarritz hole over the Bay of Biscay in Biarritz France did not have a swale in its green or before it. However, I do remember reading somewhere in an old article within the last decade that there may've been another green on that course in Biarritz France that did have a very large swale in it like the 16th at NB, so who knows where Macdonald got that idea? By the way, Macdonald did say in his autobiography that he made up to thirty sketches and such of what he considered to be important architectural features from abroad. Those were apparently the architectural sketches and drawings that Hugh Wilson mentioned in a letter in March 1911 that Macdonald had shown him during his two day visit to NGLA in early March 1911.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:05:28 AM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back