News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Olympia Fields - North
« on: July 20, 2010, 03:22:40 AM »
What do people think of the course?

Rory Connaughton

Re: Olympia Fields - North
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:01:46 AM »
I spent 2 days there at the Open in 2003 and have not played the course but I have a pretty good recollection of the holes and my impression at the time was that it compared very favorably to many of the parkland courses in Eastern PA that get a lot of discussion here.  Reminded me quite a bit of Saucon Valley Old.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 08:08:29 AM »
I have played it once, three years ago.  It was my first experience of US parkland golf and thus was something of an eye-opener.  I really enjoyed it and was surprised at the variety of holes, the undulation (I don't know why that was a surprise but it was) and the fun I had (obviously much of that was down the my host and the crew I was playing with).  I don't have a large cross section of great parkland courses to compare it to and I haven't played any other US Open venues but I'd jump at the chance to play it again.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 08:12:17 AM »
Jordan:

Several folks who contribute to the board know this course very well. Willie Park Jr. with a renovation prior to the US Open by (I believe) Mark Mungeam. I've walked parts of it; a tough, muscular course.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 08:35:55 AM »
I love the course and the club.  For all the talk that Medinah and Butler get for being very challenging, the North Course isn't far behind.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 08:53:30 AM »
I really liked Olympia Fields North--the 14th truly is worth all of the accolades as one of the best holes in Chicago (if not THE best). The 3rd isn't far behind and the course as a whole is excellent. It may not be as hard as Butler National, but I found it more interesting and enjoyable to play.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 11:17:33 AM »
I played the North twice this past weekend and while I don't want to seem like I am jumping to decisions about the course without thinking about it through and through, but I thought it was FANTASTIC.

The big bunkers and scale of the place gave me a feeling similar to that which I had at Riviera.  The course was just big - the fairways weren't too wide but I felt they along with the bunkers and greens were just huge and grand.  I felt small playing the course.

The third is fantastic and is up the there with some of the best par-4's I have ever played, but I thought the fourteenth was even better.  Not many courses have two truly world class golf holes.  The third and the fourteenth are amongst the best par-4's I have ever played.  I put fourteen in a class with 8 Pebble, 9 Cypress, and 10 Riviera, as one of the best par-4's anywhere.  The tee shot down the hill in the valley is too good for words, in my opinion.  I love how hugging the right side of the fairway, by the creek, gave the best angle.  And how many tee shots are that great without being flashy?  The second shot, above the creek and ridge that bisect the fairway, easily the best parkland second shot I've ever seen.

Is 14 perhaps the best parkland par-4 anywhere?

The greens did not overwhelm me at Olympia, but putts were very hard to make.  The subtle slopes contrasted very well to the difficulty of the task of actually getting to the greens.  At high speeds putting would be very difficult.

I liked the diversity of the holes at Olympia.  While I understand the course may be a little tight for some here, I commend the diversity of the par-4's, and the par-5's wee both good and different as well. 

While the first hole isn't considered as great, and rightfully so, the fifteenth was a fantastic par-5.  I actually believe the first to be better than people give it credit for, a good starting hole that eases you into the round, but it just doesn't compare to fifteen.  I love how fifteen ran along the ridge and while being long, is scoreable.  It can be reached from the tips, but two good shots are required, and it begs for a fade on the second shot.  A great hole.

The only weakness of the course is the par-3's, and they are all good but not great.  Six and sixteen were very similar, and thirteen was uninspiring for a short hole.  Eight was a basic long par-3, and as mentioned all of the 3's are good but not fantastic.

The tee shots all require different shots and clubs.  Even from the back tees, I wasn't hitting driver off every tee and didn't feel overwhelmed by the length.  Some holes ask for a fade, some a draw, and some you just need to hit it straight.  This is another reason I felt the diversity of Olympia was so good.

Overall, I was most surprised with Olympia of any course I saw in Chicago because I don't hardly here anything about it on here.  Seriously, how many better parkland courses are there, period?

How would people compare it to Olympic?  To Riviera?

Why don't more people consider Olympia to be a great course, or at least why isn't it ever mentioned on gca?

Olympia was fantastic.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 12:24:04 PM »
Is 14 perhaps the best parkland par-4 anywhere?

The only weakness of the course is the par-3's, and they are all good but not great.  Six and sixteen were very similar, and thirteen was uninspiring for a short hole.  Eight was a basic long par-3, and as mentioned all of the 3's are good but not fantastic.

Overall, I was most surprised with Olympia of any course I saw in Chicago because I don't hardly here anything about it on here.  Seriously, how many better parkland courses are there, period?

How would people compare it to Olympic?  To Riviera?

Why don't more people consider Olympia to be a great course, or at least why isn't it ever mentioned on gca?

Jordan,

Sorry I couldn't play with you in Chicago.

Taking the last point first, I think plenty of people do consider Olympia to be a great course and it gets episodic mention on gca.  It isn't in New York or Philadelphia or California, so it may not get mentioned as often as some of those great courses, but there's no doubt in my biased mind that Olympia is one of the great parkland courses in America.

I've played both Olympic and Riviera and I think Olympia is worthy of comparison to those great courses.  As to which is greater or greatest, I'll demur comment, but they are each pretty special.  Olympic might be tougher because of the softness of the course, the negative camber of many of the fairways and the uphill nature of many of the great holes out there.  It may have the look and feel of a grander stage.  As for Riviera, I would say that the architectural bona fides of Riviera may be stronger than Olympia.  I don't know that Riviera has a stronger par 4 than Olympia's 14th, but it has plenty of great ones, that's for sure.

Calling 14 the greatest parkland par 4 is tough, because the competition is pretty remarkable.  Let's just say that it's world class.

And I'll have to disagree with your assessment of the par 3's at Olympia.  6 and 16 are comparable only in the fact that they're both downhill and over the creek.  The 16th hole is one of the best par 3's in Chicago and #6 is a bit of architectural nothing, if you ask me.  The only distinguishing characteristic to 6 is that the angle of attack to the green is very demanding compared to all of the other par 3's.  It's an easy par, tough birdie hole, but a bit bland.  The 13th hole is simply spectacular, if only because of how ingeniously it continues the spectacular routing of the back nine.  It's on a little ridge that connects the 12th to the 14th and those two holes surely represent the dominant landforms for the golf course.  The serpentine routing from 11-18 would not be possible without the short hole at 13.  It may not be the toughest hole, but it is a beautiful, natural shortish par 3 with a few wicked hole locations.

Olympia is a very special place.  It belongs in the conversation of the best old time parkland golf courses in America and it just might be the best 36 hole facility in the country, but that's an argument for another thread!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 01:01:33 PM »
I have played OF North three times.  The last time aabout five years ago.  The terrain is gently rolling woodlands.  The green sites are just wonderful.  Unless you arre really crooked off the tee OF is a second shot golf course.  The shots into the greens are pretyy demanding.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 01:44:30 PM »
Olympia Fields is a place I never think much about trying to play.  In fact, you could say that about the entire Chicago area.  I looked for some reviews of Chicago courses without much luck.  Isn't it time you Chicagoans did something about this?  While yer at it, think of a better name for folks from Chicago - tee hee.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Paul OConnor

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 02:12:51 PM »
"While yer at it, think of a better name for folks from Chicago..."

Stanley Cup Champs has a nice ring...

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 02:21:14 PM »
Hey Jordan,

WTF??  You come to OFCC and don't send an IM?  Gave you a card at Chambers a couple years ago and now, nothing (you could have played with the club president and seen how much fun it is to have someone drive up in a cart to tell you that the tees the club supplies are too long and break too much  ;D).  Ok, that's enough.   ;D  I owe apologies to virtually everyone who has been on this Board for over 2 years for my various no-shows, cancellations, kidney stones, badly timed hospital stays etc. etc.  

Anyways, glad you had a good time and liked the place.

Shivas, I got an interesting comment from a couple visiting tour guys who played in 2003 and were playing around Chicago last year.  they said (I think obviously truly), that compared to the 2 places you mentioned, for a scratch club member, good college player or almost any really good players not on tour, the North Course is likely 3 to 5 to 7 to etc. etc. etc. shots easier than those two.  They're longer, tighter, and really punish errant shots more on most holes, while the North Course is far more open in a lot of spots, and generally a shorter.  However, they said that for the really best players under tourney conditions, not so much, because long, narrow and tight don't really matter for those guys, but greens and green surrounds do, and I guess that's where all the difficulty is on North Course, at least for those guys.  Very interesting.

Sean,  most people visit OFCC for the food, actually.   :)   I believe that a number of folks have experienced our Tuesday "Raiders" shotguns, and know what I mean.  Today is 32 oz Porterhouse night cooked on grills outside.  burp.

Jeff Goldman
That was one hellacious beaver.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 02:38:59 PM »
MISPRINT MISPRINT MISPRING

Shivas, sorry I screwed up my post, I meant Butler and Medinah, not the others.  A little too opaque on my part.  With my present 16 hdcp, I would have no idea on any of this.

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 02:43:04 PM »
Olympia Fields is a place I never think much about trying to play.  In fact, you could say that about the entire Chicago area.  I looked for some reviews of Chicago courses without much luck.  Isn't it time you Chicagoans did something about this?  While yer at it, think of a better name for folks from Chicago - tee hee.

Ciao

Sean:
Generally I would agree as I would say 90% of the courses in Chicago aren't worth traveling over a few hours to see. But Chicago is helped by quantity and thankfully 10% of alot is a good amount.

Based on your past picture threads and your enjoyment of "low key" golf and golf courses, I could see you enjoying Old Elm, Glen View Club, Shoreacres, Chicago Golf, Flossmoor, Ravisloe, Skokie, Beverly, and Black Sheep. Perhaps in that order or close to it. (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few).9/10 courses worth looking into isn't bad for a 30 mile radius.

Jordan:

Glad you liked OFCC...it's a great place and very "Chicago" :) The North Course is really good and while a course fit to host an Open...it's very playable and fun. I do disagree as I really like the par-3's....none of them beat you up and they allow for some breathing room. Did you get to see the South Course? Makes for a great 36 hole club.
H.P.S.

Ash Towe

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 03:22:09 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing there last year.  I knew it was going to be good but it was much better than I had imagined. It must be one of the best parkland courses in America but others are much better equipped to make that assessment. The 2 holes mentioned in previous posts are obvious standouts but the other holes are quality as well.
The course was magnificently presented and the club is magnificent.

I did have the pleasure of touring the South course and it also looks an excellent place to play and also appears to fly under the radar.

The GCA people who are members their are incredible hosts and could not do enough for you.  They made my day there who one of the most enjoyable golf experiences I have had.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 03:33:14 PM »
Fortunate to have played 6 of Jordan's 10 gens and they are all worthy of a good drive.

Deal played a match at OFCC in 2009 and very impressed with the North Course. Big bunkering and some great holes the 3rd being my favourite and starting a stretch of very good holes. If you get the chance do not pass over the South course which is probably more fun for the club player.
Cave Nil Vino

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 03:40:17 PM »
Mark,

It was the kummel that did it for me.that stuff was awesome.

Jeff

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 03:44:35 PM »
Just to add to what Terry posted, the left side of the green on the par-3 13th may be the most dangerous pinnable area on any golf course in Chicago. Miss the green by about three yards on the left front and you're dead in a deep bunker, miss longer and you're in crazy tough up-and-down territory. Miss it left by about six yards, and you're in Sasquatch territory. They've lost small animals in there. Extremely intimidating visually from the tee as well. The green appears to be up against a green wall.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »
I have played OF North quite a few times, but not in the last 8-10 years. As a 17ish handicapper it was challenging, but not overly penal. Great rolling terrain and mature trees.

At that time it was a much better course than the South.  But the South had some beautiful holes too.

The locker room was huge and had bar service.  Nice to jump out of the shower and have a gin and tonic waiting for you. The lockers were arranged into "lanes". The lanes used to compete with each other in poker tournaments.

What a great place.

Many thanks to my friend Bob for bringing me out there!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 05:28:41 PM »
There aren't many courses I have played just the once with a hole that leaves as indelible a memory as the 14th at OF North.  I have no idea where it sits in the pantheon of US parkland par 4s but it is a brilliant, brilliant hole.  Great drive, great approach, great green.  What more is there to ask?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 05:34:53 PM »
Jeff my last post was sent from my iPhone so I didn't have time to point out the wonderful hospitality and all round great day we enjoyed at OFCC. My only criticism was the long wak from the rooms to the mens grill.....you could do with a little half way drinks station  ;) I'm pleased you still remember the Kummel, I should be attending the Flossmoor member/guest next year so may have to bring another bottle!
Cave Nil Vino

JR Potts

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 05:38:35 PM »
I agree.  I just finished played in the two day Butler Cup at Butler....from the tips.  I want to quit golf.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 05:45:02 PM »
Sorry, Jeff, I was at Olympia Saturday and yesterday (Monday) and should have known to send you a message or email.  Good news though, I loved Chicago and will surely be back, and to Olympia Fields as well.  Next time...

I disagree with regards to the par-3's.  Like I said, they're good but not great, and they were not what made the course stand out.  The sixth is somewhat ho-hum, the eighth is long and tough but unoriginal.  While the thirteenth and sixteenth are the better two of the four par-3's, I still think they lacked interest compared to many of the longer holes.  Thirteen is no more than an eight iron from all the way back on the back box, and as such missing left shouldn't really happen.  Sixteen has a really good green, and the back pin looks like it falls off the earth, but I still felt other holes were more inspiring.  I do agree, however, that thirteen is well placed as to get from twelve to fourteen and continue the back nine's wonderful routing.  I wonder if it could have been a better hole?

What's the consensus on fifteen?  

Who feels six is too tight?  From the tips, you can barely fit a pencil through those trees.  I like how the bunker guards the best angle but that is the one hole on the course that is too tight for my taste.

I also thought the second was a fantastic hole, and I don't believe it gets much credit, especially being right before the third.  Anyone else in that boat, that the second is awesome?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 05:46:59 PM »
I agree.  I just finished played in the two day Butler Cup at Butler....from the tips.  I want to quit golf.

Butler was insane.  The new back tee on 9....are you kidding me!?

Butler is much harder then Olympia Fields.

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 06:13:43 PM »
"While yer at it, think of a better name for folks from Chicago..."

Stanley Cup Champs has a nice ring...

Paul

Now is when the trouble begins - trying to hold together a Cup team is when the fans find out who is the real glue of the team. 

Pat

I wasn't trying to imply that the courses in Chicago were wanting.  I was trying to say I know next to nothing about Chicago golf.  It seems Chicagoans either want the golf all to themselves or aren't very good at promotion.   

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back