News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Morris County To Have New Golf Club Course
« on: July 17, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »
That is the title of this Nov 23, 1916 article from the New York Evening Post.  I'm confident what is written here will be of interest to more than a few people here.   ;D

(click on the article to expand it if your browser doesn't automatically do so!)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:39:29 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

George_Bahto

Re: Morris County To Have New Golf Club Course
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:11:42 PM »
Good one Joe - thank you ery much - great information
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 07:27:04 PM »
Good one Joe - thank you ery much - great information

George, when was Raynor involved at MCGC?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 09:47:42 PM »
Superb find Joe.   

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 09:56:15 PM »
The club has Raynor on its website:

http://www.morriscgc.com/

Is this another North Shore situation?

What do the club archives reveal?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:41:10 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 10:39:25 PM »
More details on the course, which was still being worked on in 1918 according to this article (but neither CBM nor Raynor mentioned).

(click on the article to expand if your browser doesn't automatically do so)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:42:05 PM by Joe Bausch »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 10:50:22 PM »
Another article, this from late 1918, where again the course is described and MacDonald is mentioned once again.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:44:07 PM by Joe Bausch »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 10:58:34 PM »
Wow...another early course with HUGE agronomic grow-in difficulties.

No wonder some of the early guys became almost obsessed with agronomy and turf issues.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 08:24:18 PM »
Joe,

Have you contacted the club to let them know that from these early articles, apparently CBM had a large role in the design/renovation? 

I have to imagine they'd be thrilled to learn that.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 08:26:48 PM »
Joe,

Have you contacted the club to let them know that from these early articles, apparently CBM had a large role in the design/renovation? 

I have to imagine they'd be thrilled to learn that.

In the works.  :)

George_Bahto

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 09:05:34 PM »
Morris county CC

Joe, I have their excellent club history.

Morris County CC was founded as a womens only golf club - the men (who paid all the bills) were relegated to the financial workings of the club.

An insurrection took place in 1895 when the men felt the members should own the land and the course  - the entire operation should be run as a business. And so it was from then on.

Morristown in the early days had mor millionaires per capita than any city in the country. (Was also the home to the Otto Kahn family before he moved on to Long Island - but that’s a story unto itself).

The original course was across from where the present course is and the street thru ws Punchbowl Road  - yes there was a very nice natural punchbowl there on the original property.

Chapter 10 in their club history is entitled:

The Seth Raynor Golf Course:

For their new golf course, Morris County, turned to Seth Raynor, a protege of Charles Blair Macdonald, a former U S Amateur Champion generally recognized as America’s first serious golf course architect. Raynor was on hand as early as 1915, when he made a topographical map of the land north of the railroad, including the 137 acres owned by Punch Bowl Reality. Raynor consulted with Macdonald on the design of the new golf course, and construction started early I July 1916. By the year’s end all the eighth fairway had been cleared, logged, stumped, stoned and plowed.

It goes on in much detail

worked halted because of WWI

There is an excellent drawing of the course in the book with the fairways drawn in and the holes named - the usual suspects - Cape - Redan - Roadside - even  Gibralter -Sleepy Hollow - Short Westward Ho - Eden and others bearing names describing local features - Shoulder - Beeches - Lackawanna (the local rail line)

There are other earlier maps of the older layout - again much detail.

A B Frost was one of their most famous members.

County CC is one of the great clubs here in NJ

I also have this information in my course notes:

Morris County Golf Club 1915-1920 -
Seth Raynor
totally re-built by Raynor- 1915 mapping - construction began in 1916 - halted during the war and completed 1919-1920 opening day 1920 Raynor apparently modified 6 holes and added 12 new  - may not be true - I would consider that all 18 were Raynor's hole

I also have some notes saying good old Henry Whigham (of PA fame  - sorry) was involved there with Raynor - makes sense because the was just starting out on his own

They have a lot of aerial there in the club which we were allowed to share - “we” meaning Gil and I who thought we had the renovation job a number of years ago.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tom MacWood

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 05:55:12 AM »
George
Does the club history make mention of CBM's involvement?

George_Bahto

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 10:23:55 AM »
no - it was written by my friend and writer of many club histories in our area (Garden City - Creek - Essex County CC, among them), Bill Quirin.

Bill was kind enuf to give me all details on Macdonald Raynor Banks courses when he was compiling his book Golf Clubs of the MGA

Although he has been a long time friend and one of two people who encouraged me to continue research into the Raynor / Macdonald story early one, I do have a problem with him ......   he's a New York Ranger fan!
   Wethered & Simpson

Tom MacWood

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 06:30:58 AM »
It would appear there was a period of a few years prior to Raynor going out on his own where he & CBM collaborated as architects. Most of these projects are not mentioned in Macdonald's book.

Ed Oden

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Did any further information come to light about CBM's involvement at Morris County?  The articles Joe posted seem far too detailed to be entirely off base.  Does anyone know what historical information the club has?

DMoriarty

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 11:34:44 PM »
I missed this when Joe first posted it.   I see due to system problems it is no longer available above so here it is again.

A number of interesting aspects to this article, some of which had been touched upon before.   Since Templates are a hot topic of late, it is probably worth noting the second paragraph where some of he holes were described as  some of the holes having their own individuality while others were copies or modifications of the usual suspects.    Note also the Cape hole without water and the reversed redan.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tom MacWood

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 11:41:05 PM »
Although he is not mentioned in this article I've seen another article that indicated Whigham was involved in this project too.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 08:27:35 AM »
Although he is not mentioned in this article I've seen another article that indicated Whigham was involved in this project too.

Can you please post it, or send it to me and I'll host it?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 11:37:41 AM »
Joe:

Well done.

Morris County Golf Club is a special place. If you found the Bay Course at Seaview interesting -- you will truly enjoy what Morris County has to offer.

George Bahto is spot on with the info that Bill Q provided -- plenty of fun and interesting holes.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 12:27:51 PM »
Joe:

Well done.

Morris County Golf Club is a special place. If you found the Bay Course at Seaview interesting -- you will truly enjoy what Morris County has to offer.

George Bahto is spot on with the info that Bill Q provided -- plenty of fun and interesting holes.

I'll repost all the above articles that are not showing above (due to the site's malfunctioning server) tomorrow.

And I'll include an article from around 1898 that suggests Whigham and Macdonald were advisees with Bendelow on the earlier iteration of the course.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 03:51:11 PM »
I've moved those earlier articles to a different server so they now appear.  Also, this 1898 article from the NY Sun talks about those people involved in an earlier iteration at Morris County:

Matt_Ward

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 04:16:11 PM »
What makes Morris County so interesting is its history -- but also the nature of the course -- the first six holes are quite short so you need to score early -- the middle six are the ones with some real teeth -- especially the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th holes.

The final six are a combination of short and long -- just wonderful green sites and the final hole does a fine job in summarizing one's time there.

A must play for those seeking a classic course that still has plenty to offer archtecturally in so many ways.

Thanks Joe for the info posted ...

Mark McKeever

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 04:25:51 PM »
Very neat!  Is this golf course open to the public?

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 04:29:04 PM »
Mark:

No.

Been private from day one.

Still worth a play for any serious golfer when coming to No Jersey.

George_Bahto

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 05:32:07 PM »
Morris County CC is a very fine course, a great club, a worthy stop if you can get on.

Great history there.

the only negatives I have ever heard were about the number of blind tee shots
   Wethered & Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back