News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Harvey Dickens

Kiawah
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:33:09 PM »
Headed to Kiawah soon. I have read the review on this site and can not wait to see the Ocean Course. Interested in hearing comments on things I should look for in the course, favorite holes and any other comments. I noticed that they have tweeked 18 tee to play around sand instead of over it.

Comments on other courses I should try? They all look good, but I might try the Ocean twice and then pick one more to play.

If your in the area and would like to get together to play one of the courses mentioned send me a note and we can set something up. Will probably be a single so would love the company of a fellow GCA member.

PCCraig

Re: Kiawah
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 04:54:37 PM »
Harvey:

Enjoy it your trip to Kiawah! It's a very neat place.

The best thing you can do (if you can afford it) is to play the Ocean Course more than once. I think it's head and shoulders better than anything else on Kiawah and the nearby islands and is a real treat. Of the other public resort courses I suppose I like Jack's Turtle Point the best, with maybe Gary Player's Cougar Point 2nd. Personally I wasn't a huge fan of the Fazio designed Osprey.

If access isn't an issue, the private River and Cassique courses are really good as well as right on the island. Another Private option that I really like is Briar's Creek which is accross the Kiawah River and is a 10 min drive out of the gates.

Report back and enjoy your trip!
H.P.S.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:07:29 PM »
Harvey...

when are you going to be there?  I am heading there Friday and will be there through Wednesday.  Another golf trip family outing.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bill Spence

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 07:14:19 PM »
Agree with Pat, if you can swing it, multiple plays on the Ocean is your best bet.  Depending on the wind, you could get a completely different course the second time around.  I didn't like the Fazio (pretty cramped with housing), but did enjoy the Nicklaus and Player courses.  They're good options if you decide against a replay of the Ocean.

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:55:35 PM »
Just out of curiousity where are you staying when you're down there Mac / Harvey?

I'm not sure which is better down there...the golf or the food! I could go for some Shrimp and Grits right about now :D
H.P.S.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:56:21 PM »
I love The Sanctuary.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 09:52:27 PM »
The Ocean Course is special and miles ahead of the (relatively) underwhelming Turtle Point, Cougar Point and Osprey Point - I liked the River Course and have also heard great things about Cassique and Briars Creek - money no object I would play the Ocean Course and the privates (they should accomodate) and forget the others

Gary Daughters

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 10:10:22 PM »

Harvey,

My tip would be:  do not fly the green at #3.

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 10:33:26 PM »

Harvey,

Am I the only one who would prefer to play Yeaman's, CC of Charleston, or Cassique over The Ocean Course?
I just find it as a whole a bit over the top and not really that fun, although I do like many of the individual holes.
My best comparison would be Whistling Straits. I guess I just don't like modern ball busting golf. ::) ::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Harvey Dickens

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 10:43:05 PM »
Thanks for the tips.
Mac- I won't be there until the 24th and staying the week. I hate to hear we were so close and can't get together. Perhaps for the sake of the "family" you should stay through the weekend! Give us a trip report when you get back.

Pat- We are staying in a villa at Parkside. We decided to take the trip this week and there are not a lot of options at this late a date. Looks like a nice place.

I am planning on playing the Ocean Course twice and leaning toward Turtle Point for the third round.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:45:07 PM by Harvey Dickens »

jonathan_becker

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:43:58 PM »

Harvey,

Gary,

Great advice.  I once hit an approach a yard too far to a back flagstick on #3.

From the bottom of the chipping area behind the green, I couldn't recall ever having a more difficult recovery shot off of short grass.  I was dumbfounded from down there with virtually no chance for a 4.  Long on #14 plays similar as well.

Harvey Dickens

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 10:49:54 PM »
[

[/quote]

Am I the only one who would prefer to play Yeaman's, CC of Charleston, or Cassique over The Ocean Course?
I just find it as a whole a bit over the top and not really that fun, although I do like many of the individual holes.
My best comparison would be Whistling Straits. I guess I just don't like modern ball busting golf. ::) ::) ::)
[/quote]

Jeff,
     What do you mean by over the top. Is it that tough from the right set of tees?

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 11:02:37 PM »
[

[/quote]

Jeff,
     What do you mean by over the top. Is it that tough from the right set of tees?
[/quote]

Harvey,
a fair question/
I can't put my finger on it-I've played it from a variety of tees in three different decades.
It just seemed there was a double lurking on every swing-and from shorter tees that didn't really go away.
The other three places listed i wanted to run straight to the first tee after putting out on 18 (and i did just that at Yeamans and CC of Charleston)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Harvey Dickens

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 11:11:35 PM »
Jeff,
     Thanks a lot! I am getting ready to go to bed and now I will have visions of doubles dancing in my head. ;D My game is nothing special to start with and it has not been to solid the last few weeks. I carry a 4 that travels like a 14. I am going in with the mind set of enjoying the course and not trying to qualify for the Open. I have never played a links style course and am anxious to see what that style is like and how I enjoy it.

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 11:22:03 PM »
Jeff,
     Thanks a lot! I am getting ready to go to bed and now I will have visions of doubles dancing in my head. ;D My game is nothing special to start with and it has not been to solid the last few weeks. I carry a 4 that travels like a 14. I am going in with the mind set of enjoying the course and not trying to qualify for the Open. I have never played a links style course and am anxious to see what that style is like and how I enjoy it.

Harvey,
Many well traveled people on this site love and respect the Ocean course-no doubt my lack of love for TOC is merely a personal pet peeve.
I defer to their expertise and count my blesssings that their love for TOC merely opens up tee times at my faves ;D

All that said, please don't pass judgement on "links style" courses based on TOC-yes it's near the ocean, but it's a poor substitute for the real thing across the pond not only in substance, but also in spirit.

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 04:09:14 AM »
Jeff

I am usually right in step with your thoughts on golf design, but I disagree about Kiawah.  I think it is a superb golf course.  I like the par 5s and 3s a lot, the views are lovely and the house is fine.  There are a few par 4s which make me scratch my head and I despise the walk to the 1st and 10th tees.  Dye should have done whatever possible to get the first tee slap bang in front of the clubhouse.  It was a big mistake to use this area for a practice ground when the first is in no way special anyhow.  All that said, its the price that kills me and ensures I shall never return.  The course isn't good enough to justify that price. If I  make it back I shall try to play Yeamans again because I am still a grass hopper there.  I would also like another go at Bulls Bay - a terrific course.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 08:37:57 AM »
Jeff

I am usually right in step with your thoughts on golf design, but I disagree about Kiawah.  I think it is a superb golf course.  I like the par 5s and 3s a lot, the views are lovely and the house is fine.  There are a few par 4s which make me scratch my head and I despise the walk to the 1st and 10th tees.  Dye should have done whatever possible to get the first tee slap bang in front of the clubhouse.  It was a big mistake to use this area for a practice ground when the first is in no way special anyhow.  All that said, its the price that kills me and ensures I shall never return.  The course isn't good enough to justify that price. If I  make it back I shall try to play Yeamans again because I am still a grass hopper there.  I would also like another go at Bulls Bay - a terrific course.

Ciao 

Sean:

As Mike @ Kiawah has stated before, apparently the man from the Environmental agency staking out land that would be safe for building went to lunch right about when he hit the midway point of the property, then lost track and accedentally made the land where the range is "off limits." When Dye got down there and saw the land available he assumed it was wrong, but had zero time to wait as they were rushing to get the course open for the Ryder Cup.

Sure makes for a nice view from the range though!

Mac:

The Sanctuary is awesome. Nice choice!

Harvey:

Can't hurt to call a couple of the privates to see if they could work with you to get you out for a round? This time of year if anyone is willing to play in the afternoon heat can pretty much get on anywhere as the courses are empty!

*When I was down there a few weeks ago there were heat indexes of 110*+ If the forecast calls for heat anywhere near that I would do everything you can to play pre-8:00am as come 10:00am is starts getting steamy!
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 08:41:37 AM »
Mac & Harvey:

Not sure if either of you like to fish at all, but I just went on a Charter for a morning of fishing and it was a great time:

http://www.kiawahchartercompany.com/

The only way someone was able to pry me off a golf course was to promise good fishing and a cooler of beer :) Worth a look if you feel like breaking up your week or if you don't like to fish Chad will take you around the island on a Wildlife tour which my brother-in-law did and said was a blast.
H.P.S.

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 08:43:55 AM »
Jeff

Ciao 

Sean,
I knew you wuld reply as I understand your love for TOC.
I think its' just I can't get past the whole production at a high end resort course vs. the simplicity of a CC of Charleston or virtually any club in the UK/Ireland.
Again, I can appreciate someone's love for the course without wanting to return myself.
Bulls Bay is definitely more my cup of tea.

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 09:02:50 AM »
Jeff

Ciao 

Sean,
I knew you wuld reply as I understand your love for TOC.
I think its' just I can't get past the whole production at a high end resort course vs. the simplicity of a CC of Charleston or virtually any club in the UK/Ireland.
Again, I can appreciate someone's love for the course without wanting to return myself.
Bulls Bay is definitely more my cup of tea.

Jeff

I am not sure where you got the impression I love TOC.  I think TOC is a great course, BUT I have no particular fondness for it.  Somehow, there is a bit of soul lacking there and thus it doesn'teven make my consideration list top 25 favourites.  I prefer Yeamans to Kiawah without a shadow of a doubt despite thinking TOC is a better course. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brent Hutto

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 09:16:27 AM »
Quite unbelievable I'm yet to make it to Yeamans but I have no doubt I'd love playing there. That said, the course per se at Kiawah is so brilliant in my estimation that I'm almost unaware of the "high-end resort" atmosphere. At a lesser course that sort of thing drives me crazy.

A course that somehow reminds me of The Ocean Course is Spyglass Hill. Can't say what about it but the actual shots you're presented with and the flow of the course seems similar to me. But anyway, I'd consider the course itself at Spy to be just a small notch below Kiawah in quality. But that little notch is enough to make me acutely aware of the high-volume, high-$$$ at Spyglass Hill when I'm able to overlook it completely at The Ocean Course.

I really think the course at Kiawah is that good. I know it's sacrilege hereabouts but I rate it the equal of Dornoch shot for shot. And I don't mean that as faint praise for RDGC!

Harvey Dickens

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 04:35:48 PM »
I can understand the "lacking spirit" concept, not sure about the substance. How is the course different from the seaside courses across the pond? How many courses are there in the States, that are links style like those overseas?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 04:45:28 PM »
Kiawah Ocean in a wonderful golf course.  Plain and simple. 

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 04:46:29 PM »
I can understand the "lacking spirit" concept, not sure about the substance. How is the course different from the seaside courses across the pond? How many courses are there in the States, that are links style like those overseas?

Harvey

TOC is most definitely not a links.  The grass is all wrong if hat was the goal.

Ciao

PCCraig

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 05:13:31 PM »

Harvey:

I wouldn't call the Ocean Course a "Links", but that's not a knock on it as so much because I don't think it tries to be one. It's in a very cool and unique ecosystem which essentially is saddled by low country swamp and the Ocean and it's dunes. Very cool. The course does play pretty F&F and the wind can howl in the afternoons.

Make sure you play the correct tees...too long and it'll be a long day!
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back