News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

COLT GB&I ECLECTIC 18 (finito)
« on: July 14, 2010, 06:16:08 AM »
Being inspired, or more likely challenged by Pietro to create a Colt Best Of, I decided to give it a go.  I clipped the challenge to only GB&I courses and I will also only include holes I have seen.  Additionally, I will only take holes as they appear on courses.  For example, #1 Eclectic must be the first hole on its "home" course.  I will also make some allowances to try and create a balanced course much like what Colt would have created.  Finally, I am hoping guys step in and make suggestions/offer photos.  I am happy to make this a joint effort as it isn't always clear which holes should be included.  Here goes....

#1: ST GEORGES HILL Par 4 – 384 yards: The course may best be known in history by its association with the Diggers.  During the turbulent period shortly after the trial and execution of King Charles I a group led by Gerrard Winstanley occupied the common land known as St Georges Hill with a view to cultivating it.  This radical solution to rising food prices and a general feeling of disconnect with the land among the lower class would 200 years later be labeled as Communism.  How ironic then that St Georges Hill should eventually become one of the wealthiest gated communities in England.  In 1911 the concept of a gated community was relatively novel and appealed to the then well established middle classes made up of professionals and entrepreneurs.  It is the great fortune of golfers that the developer, George Tarrant, decided to include a golf course on the Surrey estate.  After many months of arduous tree-clearing Harry Colt was able to embark on what is arguably his finest inland creation.  The course covers land which is most obviously severe even when viewed from the comfort of the rather redoubtable clubhouse.   The undulating terrain is used to great effect in offering challenge and beauty.  True to Colt, many of the holes play to somewhat large uphill greens situated on plateaus and enclosed by sand.

One of the aspects of St Georges Hill which impressed me the most is its width and playability.  Oddly enough, perhaps #1 is the most confined hole on the course!  One will note the up and down nature of the opener, this is a common theme throughout St Georges Hill.  

Like all good uphill approaches, the shot here leaves the player in some doubt as to where the edge of the green is.  This doubt makes it difficult to be aggressive with left side hole locations.

#2 BURNHAM & BERROW Par 4 – 386 yards: H. S. Colt is often cited as the creator of Burnham and Berrow and rightly so.  Colt’s blue print used the natural contours of the land tellingly in creating eight new holes and is largely responsible for the reputation Burnham enjoys today.  Burnham’s endurance as a venue for amateur championships has lasted more than a century.  In addition to hosting the Ladies British Open Amateur Championship, Ladies Home Internationals and English Ladies Championship on several occasions, the club has been the venue for many English Amateur Championship (most recently in 2006), the Brabazon Trophy (to be hosted again in 2011) and the Home Internationals.  Burnham is also the permanent home for the West of England Winter Foursomes and the West of England Open Amateur Championship.  The Winter Foursomes is unusual in that a high marker can find himself (or herself!) shaking hands with professionals on the first tee.  Indeed, professionals regularly enter the competition and luminaries such as Peter Alliss and Brian Barnes have claimed the handsome trophy.
The 2nd is a devil of a par four.  The player will hope to run a drive through a large dip in the centre of the fairway, but if he chooses this bold play he must also shape the tee shot right to left into the crosswinds off the Channel as the fairway turns left just enough to cause concern.  Depending on the wind and one’s abilities, it may be safer to hit for the dip and accept that more often than not, the approach will be blind.

Below is a view of the long, narrow, two tier green guarded by bunkers up the left and by a steep drop-off right.  Many members finding themselves right of the green pull out the putter without giving it a second thought.

#3 PRESTBURY Par 4 - 377 Yards: I must admit to knowing very little of the course other than Colt is the architect of record and that Morrison may have helped with the design at some stage.  The course sits on a very hilly property not far south of Manchester near Macclesfield in a well heeled area.  In truth, the course is likely a bit too mountainous for ideal golf, but Colt dealt with the severity of the terrain admirably.  The card tells us the total yardage from the daily tees is not much shy of 6200, but as is so often the case with Colt's work the course can play longer.

For an architect who found blind shots somewhat distasteful, Colt surely built his share of blind tee shots.  This willingness to sacrifice his principles (at least to some degree) reinforces another Colt dictum to use interesting land in a natural way.  That isn't to say Colt didn't push dirt around when for he surely did.  Indeed, Colt's shaping and penchant for raised greens may be his two most recognizable traits we see carried forward into modern golf architecture.  In fact, these same traits and how Colt organized and operated his design business leads many to believe Colt was the most influential architect of his era.  

Well, you guessed it, the third travels blindly over a modest hill to leave a knob to knob approach.  The green is benched into a hillside which economically serves as the tee for #s 5 & 11, the green for #9 and the entire par 3 10th.  

#4 SWINLEY FOREST Par 3 – 171 yards: It is said Colt walked the property until he was satisfied the location of the short holes could not be surpassed.  Indeed, this labour of love was undertaken more than 100 years ago and it is doubtful if a better set of par 3s in Great Britain and Ireland has been crafted.  The Redan-like green complex is situated well above the tee.  Unlike the Redan, the green runs rapidly from left to right making the safer tee shot to the middle of the green a treacherous two putt.  

Photo courtesy of Spangles

#5 ROYAL PORTRUSH DUNLUCE Par 4 – 379 yards: The Dunluce comes with a reputation for fostering brutal rough and narrow fairways.  Of course, this is part of Portrush's difficulty.  However, the real issue is the cross wind holes and in this way Portrush can be compared to Birkdale.  #s 5 through 15 tend to have a westerly wind across them off the left or right making the fairways (of which many turn at the driving zones) very difficult targets to hit especially when several have ideal landing zones which are hidden.  #s 1-4 and 16-18 normally play against or with the wind making these the holes which the player must take advantage of or suffer a long demoralizing day.  Despite the difficulty even from forward (6400 yards) markers, Portrush is a special course and one of Colt's best efforts.  
The 5th is one of those snaking par 4s in which the ideal line is over the large bushes in the left of the photo.  A visible fairway exists further left as a layup area.  One can also sling a wind assisted fade around the dune and gain the ideal line of approach without risking the long carry.

From the perfect position the approach is still not easy.  Most players will (should?) scoot one up the green as very few have the ability to hold the back tier.  Locals will know to keep left as the left fronting dune hides a kick in area.

#6 SUNNIINGDALE NEW Par 5 - 510 yards: The work recently carried out on the New is for the most part very impressive.  The tree clearing particularly in a few spots around 15-16 and to the right of 6 is astonishing;  though clearing in other spots is very noticeable. The New isn't a course that can be easily labelled.  The variety of terrain, bunker schemes & styles, greens (though they all tend toward the subtle side) & hole shapes are tremendous.  Its all made more lovely by the odd interior view which makes one glad to be playing golf.  One of the things which especially impressed me was how many of the greens flowed into fairways - often creating a bit of a false front.  This is truly a case where the younger brother has grown more stout than his elder sibling.  
I admit to picking the 6th over other gems such as the par 3s at Harborne and Portrush as much because it is a three-shot hole as for its excellent design.  The hole plays from a pulpit tee to a sweeping right fairway far below.  A good blow offers an opportunity to attack this uphill green in two, but a come as may bunker lies left; scrubby rough and a bunker to the right.  

Photos courtesy of G Williams.

#7 NORTHAMPTONSHIRE CO. Par 4 – 377 yards:  Just west of Northampton in the well-heeled village of Church Brampton is a heathland track of land where Northamptonshire Co GC lies.  Colt designed and likely oversaw its construction while developing Swinley Forest.  At the time Colt was working on NCGC a halt existed between the 9th green and 10th tee making it relatively easy to stop at the club for periodic visits.   The course is impressive because of its steadfast reliance on true minimalism.  The terrain dominates the design in a manner which I think is a bit unusual for Colt.  The course has the feel of a Braid or Fowler and this impression is due mainly to the greens.  Colt is famous for raising or placing his greens on plateaux.  This isn't the case at NCGC.  While the land dictates that some parts of many greens have to built up to make them playable, for the most part, the entrances are at grade level and this is the over-all feel presented both visually and from a playing perspective.  For instance, there are several greens which run away from the fairway.  This is a feature I would normally more closely associate with Fowler or Park J. However, some things remain the same about Colt courses the world over and NCGC is no exception in playing much longer than the yardage suggests!  

Just as the fairway cants left to the right so does the green!

#8 ST GEORGES HILL Par 3 – 173 Yards: The 8th is stunning.  Though it must be said that once you see photos of the old bunkering compared to the disjointed effort of today, it must bring a tear to the eyes of Colt fans.  

#9 ROYAL PORTRUSH VALLEY LINKS Par 4 – 310 Yards: One gets a view of the Valley from a few spots (especially from Calamity Corner) playing the Dunluce on the high ground and it does look stunning with its fairway strips cutting through dunes.  The first impression is that there will be a lot of turning back on oneself and playing adjacent fairways.  In fact, there isn't nearly as much of this type of routing because Colt cleverly brings us through hollers which act as dividers.  One will notice that a great deal of the greens are placed at the base of dunes which create a sense of seclusion even though tee to green many holes are open.  Additionally, Colt tended to route a few holes in one direction then turn about rather than going in one direction for several holes.  Colt created a course which is easier than the Dunluce by keeping this routing system throughout the design.  Essentially, the course runs either east or west, avoiding cross wind shots.  Another aspect which makes the course easier than the Dunluce is the green surrounds are not quite as demanding.  That isn't to say there isn't terrific variety because there most certainly is - probably more so than on the the Dunluce.  Finally, the Valley is fairly short, but it steals shots from par by reducing the number of par 5s.  This is a very common characteristic of British courses which makes courses feel as though they play longer than the card suggests.  In this way Colt takes full advantage of our pre-occupation with the concept of par.  Similar to Woodhall Spa, it is probably easier to play to one's handicap by stepping back to the medal tees because the par of 68 is increased by two shots, yet only 250 yards are added to the card.

The ninth is third of an excellent cast of short par 4s at teh Valley.  The fairway angles oddly at the driving zone, but there is plenty of scope to lay up.  Like the 8th, one must keep to the right for a view of the green.

Colt was determined to use the natural features as defenses rather than employ sand.  On approaching the 9th we have a combination of playing into the wind and the hollow short of the green.  These features give us all the interest and challenge we could crave.  

That then is the opening nine; a par of 35 covering 3064 yards.  Some will likely notice that many of the four pars of similar length.  This is quite true, but one of the reasons for selecting these holes was to showcase Colt's skill creating wildly different holes of similar length.

Ciao

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:19:32 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

Re: COLT GB&I ECLECTIC 18
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:35:41 AM »
Thanks for doing this, Sean.  I'm sure it will lead to much debate.

You do need to see Brancepeth Castle, though, I think 8 and 9 there might be in with a shout if you did.  Of course, if you ever got to Brancepeth then the Colt courses at Northumberland and Tyneside woul both be worth a detour to.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 06:56:28 AM »
Sean

Good choices although I think it's more fun to have each course limited to 1 hole.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 06:59:53 AM »
One thing is for sure: I have to make sure I see St George's Hill before I go home!

Too much to do, and not enough time!

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:33:57 AM »
Would you consider the 4th at RCD a Colt hole?

James Boon

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:50:21 AM »
Sean,

Excellent stuff! I'll look forward to your back nine selections...

At first glance, and from my limited Colt knowledge, you'll get no argument from me so far, but I'll put my mind to it and see if I can offer any alternatives?

Cheers,

James

ps Wade, the 4th at RCD is all Colt as far as I'm aware. Not got the relevant book to hand, but I seem to recall that when he created the existing 9th over the land of the old 8th and 9th he needed a totally new hole and so he created the current 4th.
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Paul_Turner

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 09:35:05 AM »
Sean

If SGH is limited to 1 hole then I'd reserve the 10th for that course.  Although Portrush Valley would run it close and Colt didn't build many great par 5s.  Trevose 4th may be a good choice for a par 5 too and give Swinley a later hole like the 12th.

Meyrick Park's 1st and Broadstone's 7th would definitely be in for me.

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 09:37:45 AM »
Trevose 4th is a brilliant hole.

Knowing Sean's love of Rye, I thought perhaps the 5th hole there might have made the starting team. Maybe the 16th...

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 10:06:28 AM »
Paul

I am ahead of you there.  I need to find Colt Par 5s and so regretfully the awesome 10th at St Georges Hill has to be sacrificed unless you find two better par 5 candidates than #6 Sunny New and #10 Valley Links.

Scott

I have enough par 3s - too many really so Rye's fifth didn't make the cut.  Now, the 16th may make the grade if someone can show me its a Colt hole.  

I can't not include Swinley's 4th - can I?  Besides, other than the admirable views of #4 at Trevose, is it a better hole than #6 at Sunny New or #10 at Valley Links?  Tough choices and I can see I have problems on the back nine which may mean altering the front nine.  

#10 PORTRUSH VALLEY LINKS Par 4 - 472 Yards: One gets a view of the Valley from a few spots (especially from Calamity Corner) playing the Dunluce on the high ground and it does look stunning with its fairway strips cutting through dunes.  The first impression is that there will be a lot of turning back on oneself and playing adjacent fairways.  In fact, there isn't nearly as much of this type of routing because Colt cleverly brings us through hollers which act as dividers.  One will notice that a great deal of the greens are placed at the base of dunes which create a sense of seclusion even though tee to green many holes are open.  Additionally, Colt tended to route a few holes in one direction then turn about rather than going in one direction for several holes.  Colt created a course which is easier than the Dunluce by keeping this routing system throughout the design.  Essentially, the course runs either east or west, avoiding cross wind shots.  Another aspect which makes the course easier than the Dunluce is the green surrounds are not quite as demanding.  That isn't to say there isn't terrific variety because there most certainly is - probably more so than on the the Dunluce.  Finally, the Valley is fairly short, but it steals shots from par by reducing the number of par 5s.  This is a very common characteristic of British courses which makes courses feel as though they play longer than the card suggests.  In this way Colt takes full advantage of our pre-occupation with the concept of par.  Similar to Woodhall Spa, it is probably easier to play to one's handicap by stepping back to the medal tees because the par of 68 is increased by two shots, yet only 250 yards are added to the card.

The 10th is probably the most memorable and controversial hole on the course and is in the same vein as Calamity Corner - heroic.  At least to some degree I selected this hole because Colt didn't build too many holes which made people question his abilities.  A glance at the card will reveal that this is one of the par 4/5 holes which will get into the heads of most golfers.  On the first day we played it as a par 4 - most said it was impossible.  On the second day we played it as a par 5, most said it was great.  Go figure. Playing from the daily tee is much more difficult because the drive is blind and therefore the the mush easier line in from the 9th fairway can't be seen either. Every course needs a bit of controversy and the 10th provides it. 
The fairway is split by rough and and a steep drop.  At this point the blind approach is over a heaving roller-coaster of an elephant's graveyard fairway.  

Alternatively,one can approach from the centre of #9 fairway.  For sure this is a serious design fault, but a loveable one.  Perhaps this is why I think the hole is better from the forward markers as a par 4 of 472 yards.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 04:49:27 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Paul_Turner

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 10:41:55 AM »
Muirfield's 17th is a match for either Sunn New 6th and Portrush Valley's 10th.  I'd stick with 2 par 5s for Colt.

The 16th at Rye is original but the tee angle has been changed.  It was a straighter hole.  In that configuration I believe it is a Colt.

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 11:03:48 AM »
Muirfield's 17th is a match for either Sunn New 6th and Portrush Valley's 10th.  I'd stick with 2 par 5s for Colt.

The 16th at Rye is original but the tee angle has been changed.  It was a straighter hole.  In that configuration I believe it is a Colt.

Yes, I have 17 as a tentative, but I like Sligo's 17th an awful lot.  I still need a third - a par 4.  I would also like a few drivable 4s. Valley Links and Camberly Heath have a few, but...that said, I am not sure Colt was into drivable 4s.

#11 BELVOIR PARK Par 3 - 170 Yards: I have never seen this hole, but Paul Turner suggests it is a good and unusual hole for Colt.  From the pictures it does look very difficult playing straight up what looks to be a considerable hill.  However, it is the green huggung the plateau which impresses me.  

The tee is in the gap below.  

#12 SWINLEY FOREST Par 4 - 430 Yards: A cracking double dogleg monster two-shotter which may be the best hole on Colt's "least bad course". A well placed bunker awaits on the right, beyond the obvious left hand bunker.  To play short of this bunker likely leaves too much work for most to reach the uphill (more uphill than it would seem) putting surface in two.  

Photos courtesy of Spangles

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:22:26 AM by Sean Arble »

JNC Lyon

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 11:13:26 AM »
Sean,

I would think Swinley's 12th has to be on this list.  The 12th was my favorite hole at Swinley Forest, including the five awesome par threes.  The shape of the hole creates an endless amount of interest, and the contours with 50 yards of the green are very cool and very unusual for a heathland course.  I'm no Colt expert, but that hole was one of the best long par fours I played on my trip, if not THE best.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 11:24:27 AM »
Sean,

I would think Swinley's 12th has to be on this list.  The 12th was my favorite hole at Swinley Forest, including the five awesome par threes.  The shape of the hole creates an endless amount of interest, and the contours with 50 yards of the green are very cool and very unusual for a heathland course.  I'm no Colt expert, but that hole was one of the best long par fours I played on my trip, if not THE best.

JNC

Very sage advice.

Ciao

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »
Thank you, Sean. Everything about this is great, and much appreciated (your history/commentary especially).  My, but did Colt ever know how to go uphill on Par 4s!! That 7th at Northamptonshire is a wonderful golf hole - no, it is golf itself!!  (Whenever you can, please continue to provide those comparing/contrasting tib-bits like you did for that hole, i.e. talking about what Colt 'normally' did and what was 'unusual' for him, and how he sometimes feels like Folwer etc).

Thanks again, Sean
Peter
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:27:31 AM by PPallotta »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 11:48:57 AM »
These great photos remind me again just how much I love the look of heather on a golf course!

Paul_Turner

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 11:54:20 AM »
11th:  great Colt holes at:  Muirfield (a quirky one for that course), Royal Belfast (great v difficult uphill par 3). Broadstone (par 3).

Belfast 11th:Tee is down in that gap

Side on view of tiered green
Belvoir Park 3rd would be good choice.

As for short/driveable par 4s.  I think Portrush Valley 9th is one of the best.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:56:29 AM by Paul_Turner »

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »
11th:  great Colt holes at:  Muirfield (a quirky one for that course), Royal Belfast (great v difficult uphill par 3). Broadstone (par 3).

Belfast 11th:Tee is down in that gap

Side on view of tiered green
Belvoir Park 3rd would be good choice.

As for short/driveable par 4s.  I think Portrush Valley 9th is one of the best.

Paul

Yes, I considered VL's 9th, but is it worth sacrificing Co Down's 9th? 

#13 HARBORNE Par 4 - 391 Yards: Harborne is a mid to late Colt effort as he totally redesigned the course sometime in the mid to late 20s.  It is remarkable how built up so many of the greens are.  It is a near certainty Colt fully understoood the consequences of building on clay and probably went that bit further to help mitigate the effects of the poor soil.  The greens are generally flatish with a few tricky areas that aren't easily noticeable until a three putt is on the card.

After crossing a wee lane to enter a secret garden (such as at Worplesdon) of golf we come to one of the best holes in the Midlands.  The drive heads blindly over a brow of a hill into seemingly no man's land; offering not a hint of a clue as to the dramatic approach to be played.  The contrast of urban housing and grand golf is perplexing, but somehow pleasing.

Ciao

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 01:43:54 PM »
Paul,

Would you include 11 at Canterbury in that list of Colt's great 11ths?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 04:13:51 PM »
Sean the 1st at St Georges Hill - the original green was high on the right where the sign is on the picture. Does anyone know if he designed the lower (current green) or was that a later change? I agree with other the 10th at StGH is a wonderful hole.
Cave Nil Vino

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 04:22:01 PM »
If you're going to buld up a green, that's the wayt to do it. And yes, the housing behind doesnt bother somehow - I think like most things, if the 'scale' is right the eye accepts it. Slap a North American style 44 story condo with no balconies, and it would look horrible.

Peter

Jason McNamara

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 07:18:06 PM »
Sean, it took a bit of mucking with it, but here's the 9th at RCD:

http://www.royalcountydown.org/images/postcard/large/RCD%20Front%20cover.jpg

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »
Sean

Am interested to your list of Colt courses you have seen just to put the above into perspective ?

Paul_Turner

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 08:15:28 PM »
Paul,

Would you include 11 at Canterbury in that list of Colt's great 11ths?

Yes I like that hole, definitely one of his best 11ths.  I wonder what the best par 3 on that course is? Must be between 2,11 and 17.  The 5th is solid but without the boldness of the others.  I don't remember much about the 8th..

Tom MacWood

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 08:17:25 PM »
What about this hole?

Paul_Turner

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 08:23:38 PM »
Sean the 1st at St Georges Hill - the original green was high on the right where the sign is on the picture. Does anyone know if he designed the lower (current green) or was that a later change? I agree with other the 10th at StGH is a wonderful hole.

Mark

The green was moved in the 1920s.  Since Colt had a long affiliation with the club, including designing the second 18 at St George's Hill in the 1920s, I think it's probable that he oversaw the change.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back