News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

GCA Utopia ..........
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:10:05 PM »
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:11:42 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Mark Pritchett

Re: GCA Utopia ..........
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:11:14 PM »
Go Brad go!

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 07:15:12 PM »
Way to go brad!...Keep it going. From speaking to him out at Lost Dunes in May, he knows the course well... ;)
H.P.S.

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 07:18:57 PM »
I still remember the rounds he posted at the Dixie Cup.  He got game.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 07:21:13 PM »
Brad, did you take any pictures so you can do a hole by hole analysis for us.   ;)

Rumor has it he made a 35 footer for birdie on his last hole today in front of a decent crowd.

Michael Moore

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 08:03:36 PM »
Bradley??? Try Bradford . . .

The first time I met Brad, he hosted me in the morning, and then, by way of an ingenious bit of antique scorecard arbitrage on eBay, whisked me across town to play Dedham Polo with an Olympic hockey player in the afternoon. Furthermore, he has done more to promote Maine golf on this site than I have. Needless to say, I am rooting for Brad this week. If he makes the final I will ditch work on Friday and tag along.

I am not surprised that he has dropped ten birdies onto Myopia . . . he is a great golfer who seems to be getting better. Send  him some GCA karma . . .

P.S. I just got back from a 123rd place finish at the Maine Amateur at Kebo Valley, and I have to say that there is nothing like tournament golf on a Herbert Leeds museum piece. Oh man!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:14:34 PM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Sean Leary

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:09:56 PM »
Bradley??? Try Bradford . . .

Bradford William Tufts III to be exact. I mean, how can he not win at Myopia with that name....?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:12:18 PM by Sean Leary »

Fred Yanni

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 08:22:36 PM »
Sorry Brad, John Gilmartin was a college teammate.  Hope you lose to him in a playoff. 

BTW Brad's scorecard looks very similar to most cards turned in by a certain lefty on tour....  hmmmmm

Chris Flamion

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 08:44:40 PM »
Had the pleasure of playing a round with Brad at the Mashie.  He mentioned how much he enjoyed playing in the AM and was obviously ready for this years. 

I knew he was crazy good when he shot even par at Lost Dunes, hitting something like 17 greens, and only made 10 feet or so of putts.....

Good luck Brad keep it going.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 09:29:06 PM »
That's great.  Good luck Brad.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 10:31:48 PM »
Wow...GCA Utopia indeed!!

Best of good fortune to you, Brad!

Way to represent the GCA-hood!!

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 07:19:01 AM »
"Brad, did you take any pictures so you can do a hole by hole analysis for us.    :)"

Sean:

It would be an interesting question if Brad could be out there taking pictures during the Massachussets State Amateur Championship. I wonder what the MGA would say about that in their "Conditions of Competition" or otherwise?  ??? That's actually a pretty good Rules question. But even if it wasn't a Rules infraction perhaps GOLFCLUBATLASers should just let him play to see if he can win this thing!  ;)

If he can't manage a whole slew of photos so a hole by hole analysis can be done of the course on here, I'll be up there next week for 3-4 days for the Herbert C. Leeds Invitational and maybe I can ramp up my camera for you as the Leeds Invitational ain't exactly the Massachussetts State Amateur Championship!  ;)

PS:
Actually the name one will find on his birth certificate is just Brad Tufts, but since he's playing the State Amateur at Old-line Myopia, the MGA has apparently entered him as Bradford William Tufts III of the famous Tedesco CC Tufts. I think they made their money in either the early development of cricket/golf in America or the China trade; can't remember which right now.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:29:00 AM by TEPaul »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
family fortune made in urinal cakes, I believe...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 08:46:44 AM »
Ronald:

If that's true, then the prominent Massachussets Tufts family may've been direct competitors of Massachusset's Joshua Crane, of Crane Toilet fame and uber-wealth (? ;)). A few years ago in the Herbert C. Leeds Invitational we did run into a team from the Dedham CC where Joshua Crane was a prominent member. Dedham CC has what is known as the Crane Cup, another invitational tournament. If I bump into those guys again, hopefully in the locker-room, I will be sure to ask them if the actual Crane CUP is in fact something like a silver toilet bowl. Can you imagine if your family was ultra rich for many generations and at a party someone asked you how they made all their money and you were a Crane, for instance, you could actually say they made millions in shit collection. How cool would be to be able to say that?  

But this is all off the subject of this thread.

Go Bradford William Tufts III, GO----win this Mass State Amateur Championship!! If you win it just think how proud of you your mother Trixie Tufts and your sister Buffy Tufts will be of you!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:51:23 AM by TEPaul »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 09:00:25 AM »
Had the pleasure of playing a round with Brad at the Mashie.  He mentioned how much he enjoyed playing in the AM and was obviously ready for this years. 

I knew he was crazy good when he shot even par at Lost Dunes, hitting something like 17 greens, and only made 10 feet or so of putts.....

Good luck Brad keep it going.

I think he was just tired of carrying me around that day.  His effortless 69 the previous day at the Warren Course was also quite impressive.

Good luck Brad!

John Kirk

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 09:10:29 AM »
I'm in the Boston area this week, and went to watch the tournament (read: look at the golf course) yesterday.  I wish I knew Brad was out there.

The golf course is first class, with just about everything a golf course aficianado desires.  The course conditioning is outstanding.  About 10-20% of the rough is yellow and dormant.  There's great topography, and every hole is etched into memory at first sight.  It's a little funky.  The green is invisible on a number of tee shots, though landing areas are well defined by fairways cresting over ridges.  The greens are very small, tilted, and tend to lack significant internal contouring.  The bunkers are recessed pits with flat sand surfaces.  Sometimes greenside areas are shaved down; I saw a ball land on the (274 yard par 4) first green and trickle into a bunker about 8-10 feet below the green surface.  Flatter areas with less features are adorned with large (3-8 feet tall) mounds.

Most of all, it is spectacularly beautiful.  What a place.

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 09:24:03 AM »
John:

Connecting the green on #1 via a very sloping chipping surface to that bunker below and removed from the green is a brilliant move given how narrow that first green is. Strategically it's really brilliant and particularly given that green is driveable.

But it is not as intense as the even more slopping chipping area that connects the green on #13 with that bunker about 20 yards and well below that green. You can actually get your approach on that green but then if it happens to have landed on the front half of that green you need to wait some seconds to see if it held or if it begins to trickle off and down the bank to that bunker well below. It's made even better by the fact you can't see your ball on that green from the approach way down there in the fairway. You just wait for a time to see if the ball appears and if it does you will be well down the hill in the rough or that bunker. And try hitting about a 30 yard bunker shot back up that step hill to that blind green. 

Sean Leary

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 09:46:40 AM »
He is playing a carpetbagger from Yale in the first round. Maybe if he concedes the youngster's putts with a "that's pissah", it will throw the  young Bulldog off a bit.   ;)

Birdie Birdie start for BWTIII....

jonathan_becker

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 10:17:03 AM »

I've played with Brad once and I got the impression that his game is well-suited for match play. 

He was grinding a lot, but he was getting up and down more times than not....and that will weigh heavily on an opponent's mind.  Also, I remember him saying that he's played Myopia a ton of times.  Those 2 things should give him an upper hand.  Best of luck!

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 10:25:54 AM »
Hasn't Brad Tufts had a connection of some kind with Myopia?

If so, I'd think it would sure help him with both stroke and match play on a golf course like that one, and particularly if it's playing firm and fast which I've heard it was recently even though a recent rain may've nixxed that some! 

Sean Leary

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »
TE,

He worked there in high school or college.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 12:59:56 PM »
What a player, Brad birdies 17 and 18 to win 2 up!!!

Way to go Brad!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 03:00:08 PM »
Thanks for all the well-wishes guys.  It was a fun week.  My last match went to 17, but I was bested by Jordan Burke, who was -2 to my Even par through 17.

The course played great the first few days with all the firmness...I hit a few 200-yard 7-irons, and a 5-iron to 20 feet from 220 on one hole.  This was negated a bit by the rain on Tuesday night/Wednesday, but shots were still bouncing a bit.  More important was the wind changing to the opposite direction for Wed....I hit D-7 into #2 on Tuesday, and D-3w on Wednesday.

I was not too psyched after losing my club champ by one on Fri-Sun (76-73-76, ugh), but for some reason I played Myopia better (75-71-73-72)....
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 03:05:17 PM »
Thanks for the update Brad and congrats on the solid week of playing!
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back