News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Laguna National re-design by Andy Dye
« on: July 13, 2010, 05:00:50 AM »
I was reading GolfAsians monthly newsletter this morning, and this bit had me rolling my eyes .

Singapore
Changi: I was in Singapore last week and when traveling from the airport I saw this new golf course being built along the freeway. It has been a while since I was back and I know I missed the opening of Marina Bay Golf Club, but I had to see this course. It is the insane re-design Andy Dye is doing at Laguna National in Singapore. Think of a cross between Whistling Straits, TPC Sawgrass and Wolf Creek Nevada, whist still in Singapore, I kid you not. Sixteen holes are ready for play then it's good to go. Bolder than anything I've seen in Singapore so far, Laguna National will even give JP at Singapore Island CC a run for his money.

::)

Anybody know anymore ?

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Laguna National re-design by Andy Dye
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:03:54 AM »
Looks like an interesting club with excellent facilities:

http://lagunagolf.com.sg/

Here's an article on the redesign:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1031757/1/.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Randy Thompson

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
I have seen clients stretch things for marketing purposes but......man...this is from the article

Dye's other works include Pebble Beach and Village Creek, and the American comes from a family of golf designers with over 70 years experience and having designed 17 of the world's top 100 golf courses.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 01:34:29 PM »
Maybe they mean China's Pebble Beach:

http://parforchina.com/745
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Randy Thompson

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »
Steve,
Did a quick search and couldn´t find who designed that golden pebble beach but entered Andy´s web page and is not listed. Interesting story on the name though and how the americans asked them to change the name and their (China´s) rightfull response. And I guess if you take all the different media´s top 100´s published list, which there are about 100, add them all together and maybe the Dye name does come up seventeen times. But you gotta admit it´s streching things. But its usually the clients that do that, not the architect!

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 05:46:48 PM »
The designer of Golden Pebble Beach in China - in Dalian - was an American fellow called Peter Thompson (with a 'p' and no relation to the 5 times Open champion). I designed a 7 hole golf academy course along the cliffs nearby about 10 years ago, so I know the area fairly well. Cheekily I called the course Golden Cypress Point! There was to be an 18 holer as part of this development but we didn't get that job.

Jim McCann

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »
I was looking at the World Classic course at Laguna National in Singapore earlier today and can't believe it hasn't attracted more comment on this platform since this thread was started a few years ago.

Here's a link to the architect's website and his thoughts on the project :

http://www.andydyegolf.com/resources/2/GOLFDESIGN/laguna-WorldClassic.pdf

and here are four quite extraordinary photos of the course from the club's website:

Thoughts, anyone?

Josh Tarble

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 03:53:29 PM »

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 03:53:54 PM »
Wow!!!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 04:20:56 PM »
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »
It's like a Pete Dye course if Pete was high. Total mockery of the Dye style.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »
162 slope!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 10:07:11 AM »
I'm sure I'd hate it, but it looks fun in a masochistic way...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 01:03:54 PM »
Vertigo-prone mower-operators need not apply. Damn; it nauseates me just thinking about cutting on and around those mounds and slopes.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jim Sherma

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 12:10:51 PM »
That is crazy stuff. What is the plan if you get in the front left bunker? While I think it would be fun to play once I also think it has potential for the Doak-0 rating.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 06:23:04 PM »
Jim, I think the bunkers you are looking at are behind that green you see. Notice the fairway in the distance leading into the green. I get the feeling there is probably another green to the right of the photo, beyond our view.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back