News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Huber

Re: Talk about discrimination
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2010, 09:27:20 PM »
A US Open at Oakmont apparently brings out the fire in Ran's belly. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »

On a positive note, completion of the 3rd round will be shown on ESPN2 at either 8:00 am or 8:30 am (EST) tomorrow morning.

Very good, thanks Bill for posting that.  A nice primer for what's up next week with the daddy of early morning t.v. golf.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2010, 10:00:45 PM »
A related Freakonomics discussion popped up here the other day.
http://tinyurl.com/37ps9rp

And I agree with Joel's suggestion that there'd be less disappointment here if the Women's Open not televised were being held at Trump.* GC.

Must admit I am surprised NBC has zero contingency plan in place, though.  That "Jailhouse of the Week" crap they run on MSNBC weekends can't be bumped?  That's got to be pulling what, 20,000 viewers nationwide?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2010, 10:30:47 PM »
to confirm Bill's entry:

2010 U.S. Women's Open MEDIA ADVISORY

Due to the change in playing schedule at the U.S. Women’s Open, ESPN2 will carry live coverage of the third-round completion Sunday morning, beginning at 8:30 a.m. NBC’s coverage of the fourth round will begin as scheduled at 3 p.m.

Thank you,
USGA Championship Communications
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2010, 10:40:39 PM »
Does anyone know if they continued the coverage in Korea or does Korean TV just pick up the American coverage?

Will MacEwen

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2010, 10:47:19 PM »
I agree with you, no way do they cut off a mens' major.  But it's not discrimination, it's simple fact of the televesion market.  The sport may be the same (they're both playing golf), but from a ratings perspective they are completely different to NBC.  If mens' golf got the kind of ratings that womens' golf does, NBC wouldn't have a problem cutting out early.

Or if the USGA made the contract with NBC more strict.  I think the NCAA is pretty hardline with CBS on NCAA women's basketball - I assume that gathers less interest than the LPGA, but CBS airs it.

Will, unless I'm mistaken, ESPN airs the women's NCAA tournament, not CBS.

Oops.

Still, I am sure ESPN has to take it as part of their NCAA package.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2010, 06:34:03 AM »
After my experience yesterday at Oakmont I can tell you that watching the women on TV is preferable to being there in person. They are so unbelievably SLOW!!!!!!!!

Ed

Is it more to do with the caddies lining up virtually every shot or something else ?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 07:02:47 AM »
I just pointed this thread out to my wife as we wake up the kids before a morning bike ride. She is running the NYC Triathlon next week and the NYC Marathon in November. She asked, "How many women are on GCA.com? Maybe they should start there before they become network television executives!"  :D

Tom Yost

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 08:43:59 AM »
What was particularly awful, in the Pacific time zone following the Women's golf coverage, NBC aired an hour of INFOMERCIALS.
 ???

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2010, 09:01:37 AM »
Greg,

High ratings takes care of themselves as networks fight to host such events and I understand that women's golf does not fall in that category. That's why I use words like 'clout' and 'guardian.'

As part of the negotiations for gaining the rights to televise the men's open, the USGA can write in the contract (in fact I thought they did) that the third and fourth rounds of the women's (and senior for that matter) open will be televised live. Forcing a network to carry an event that doesn't draw high ratings may mean less money for the USGA but beyond a certain base amount (which the USGA already has) I don't care how much of a war chest the USGA stockpiles - I care about how the game is defended/presented.  What is the USGA guarding against exactly - that JB Holmes can only hit a driver/6 iron 600 yards as opposed to 620 yards?!

On the front page of the USGA's own web site, they say in regard to who they serve, 'Everyone who loves and respects the game of golf. Our promise based on a shared love and respect for golf, we preserve its past, foster its future and champion its best interests for everyone who enjoys the game.' I am not sure about the grammar either but you get the general point.

By a factor of X, this is the biggest event for women regardless of which course its played on and the USGA should be doing everything in its power to help promote women's golf. Why? Because it is in their own mission statement. Especially now when women's golf could most use the help, the USGA can - and should - be there for it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 09:33:29 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 09:27:55 AM »
Apparently, Creamer and Kerr's fellow competitor is causing pace of play issues:  http://www.examiner.com/x-46804-Golf-Examiner~y2010m7d10-Slow-play-irks-golfers-at-raindelayed-2010-US-Womens-Open

It's 8:18 here now and they just finished the 11th hole after starting at 4:45.  Wow.  That's 3h 35m to play 11 holes.  Where are the USGA rules officials?  

“Phew, I'm glad I don't have to play behind Yokomine today,” typed Kim between Saturday’s rain-delayed second round and third round. “She's slower than trying to bake a pie with a lighter.”

But all that said, at the very least they could have put it up on the internet.  It really is bad form by all involved.

I don't think Yokomine's pre shot routines were necessarily slow... she just had to it soooo many times!  When you start bogey-bogey-triple and personally examine every bunker on the first 4 holes... it must be tough to play quickly!  :)

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 10:55:44 AM »
I too set my tivo to watch the women last night and was short changed.  The old boys club, USGA, dropped the ball big time.  So then I thought I would catch the highlights on Golf Central on TGC.  And what do they lead with?  Steve Stricker hitting wedges close to the flagstick at the John Deere.  The only thing I can think is that the PGA Tour has a deal with TGC to lead every telecast of Golf Central.  I was embarrassed for TGC.  Of course they then do show women golfers........Big Break somewhere with Greg Norman having lunch!
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Jim Hoak

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »
The fact is that television is driven by ratings, and they only show USGA events other than the Open because they have to by contract.  Neither the Women's Open nor the the National Amateur would justify showing on a national network if it weren't necessary.
In my opinion, JLahrman is right in the need to look at other causes for the lack of airtime than just blaming the Network or the USGA.  Sorry, Ran, but it is wrong to think that in a world of 300+ channels, simple carriage will garner audiences.
Women's golf needs to examine the reasons for lack of public interest in their product and make some changes.  As a golfer, I watch and enjoy it, but I'm--as most in this site--in a small minority.
It's not discrimination; it's economics.

John Moore II

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 02:41:23 PM »
What time does this come on today? I can't find it on TV yet and its almost 3pm. They've been playing since 8 this morning.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »
Doesn't Korea have a 24 hour "LPGA Channel?"

TEPaul

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2010, 02:54:51 PM »
John K. Moore:

What has happened is the telecast of the final round of the Women's Open has been completely canceled by NBC they are so pissed off at this thread and Ran Morrissett. I hear they have their hit men in Humvees and half tracks with rocket launchers and hand grenades and black market AK-47s and shit out scouring the countryside looking for him; so I hope he is well on down in the GCA Under-ground railroad or in one of Alister Mackenzie's best camouflaged military/trench bunkers somewhere! Because if he isn't his ass is going to be some seriously scorched-earth grass by the end of the final round at least.

I hear what sounds like some NBC or military helicopters in the distance so he may be trying to make it to the barn/office here in Pennsylvania. If he can actually get here, don't worry, I'll take care of him safe and sound until this thing blows over. If he makes it here in the next half hour or so I might even be able to negotiate with NBC to get the rest of the telecast reinstated.

I hope Paula wins it; I think she's very cool, very intelligent, good interview and a nice smiley bubbly personality. I might even ask her to do a Feature Interview for GOLCLUBATLAS.com which just might serve to restore Ran Morrissett's reputation somewhat.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 03:02:59 PM by TEPaul »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2010, 03:00:41 PM »
It is on now.  FYI.

NBC
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

TEPaul

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2010, 03:04:40 PM »
Thanks for the info, Mac. Apparently Ran Morrissett apologized appropriately to all the interested parties for posting this thread.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2010, 03:07:57 PM »
 ;)

EDIT...Dude, this is going to be the greatest ever.  US Open at Oakmont with Johnny Miller announcing!  BABY!!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 03:11:35 PM by Mac Plumart »

Mike McGuire

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2010, 03:12:24 PM »
No discrimination. The men finally come on TV and its tape delay. The TV goons screw it up for both genders.

John Moore II

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2010, 03:18:07 PM »
No discrimination. The men finally come on TV and its tape delay. The TV goons screw it up for both genders.

The LPGA Championship a few weeks ago was tape delay and on the Golf Channel. Come on, a major championship and you can't even show it live?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2010, 06:37:10 PM »
Well, hopefully in spite of being up against the World Cup final  ??? , the final round will have had good viewership among girls 10-18.  That's the most important demographic in golf in America these days, in my opinion; and for that demographic there could not have been a better winner than Paula Creamer.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2010, 07:47:37 PM »
I switched before Spain won in time to see Creamer stuff her tee shot on 13, then back so didn't see her putt.  What a bunch of really good shots she hit coming home those last six holes!

Matthew Rose

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2010, 08:30:34 PM »
My biggest beef more than anything else was with the Golf Channel.

I work weekends so most of my golf is only viewed after hours on replays. TGC decided this week that that stupid Wayne Gretzky Nationwide thing was more important than the Women's Open and the Deere, both events of which I found much more compelling.

Add my disgust to Ran's original post of there being no third round make-up coverage last night.

But 11 episodes in a row of Big Break Sandals, well, we can't possibly show anything more interesting than that, can we?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2010, 08:47:41 PM »
Matthew...I agree the Golf Channel seems to drop the ball time and time again.  Maybe my taste is different than most, but the channel is The Golf Channel...and we've got a major championship hosted on one of the most historic courses in the world, but yet we can't watch it.  That seems to me the exact thing their target market is trying to tune in to see.

All the Ray Ramano, Big Break stuff should be filler when major tournaments are not on tv.  I don't get it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back