News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

What does everyone think about Tommy Naccer's header he's made for Shaq's Open Championship week?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:22:18 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

BCrosby

Re: Critiquing Tony's newest piece
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 09:12:50 AM »
It's gorgeous.

Bob

P.S. Please fix your header to "Tommy's".

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 09:25:37 AM »
A bit of the old esoteric Bob. For those who've been around long enough and can remember that SI article where they erroneously named him Tony.

Now, if you knew that, and still feel it should be changed, I'd be happy to?

As for the art work, I'm in love with how Tommy has perfect his landscapes. They just ooze 'natural setting' .

The ghost like figures looking down, is poignant.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 09:40:45 AM »
To me it looks vaguely ghoulish or at least fairly haunting; something that would be an excellent visual representation of Charles Dickensonian golf (I looked but couldn't find Pip). Not a bad thing frankly for the home of golf----the eternal Old Course.

Pretty cool.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:45:39 AM by TEPaul »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 09:55:38 AM »
I wonder if this was the inspiration:

(The Highwaymen)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 10:53:12 AM »
I love the views of the "Auld Gray Toon" as you come home at St Andrews.   This is quite a neat poster from Tommy.

Actually, my favorite view is of the 6th green on the New Course.  It's backed by a wall of gorse with the steeples and towers of the town above.

If anyone has a photo to post...........

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 10:55:33 AM »
Adam -

It IS a bit insider/insider. My only worry is that people won't open the thread to see Tommy's great work.

But whatever you prefer.

Bob

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 11:09:34 AM »

(The Highwaymen)

...along the coach roads I did ride!  Nice Dan!  Great song.

I'm a fan of the header.  The lack of some perfectly framed golf hole and instead showing the cool landscape being watched over by the old guards is a cool concept.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 11:23:52 AM »

The ghostly images speaks volumes about how we should respect and honor the past.

Anthony

Scott Weersing

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 11:42:17 AM »
It reminds me of the ghosts in the movie, The Greatest Game Every Played. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388980/

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 11:42:49 AM »
Well put Anthony. They exude a purity that apparently some find offensive. ;). I initially had the same haunting feeling as Tom, but the foreground settled it nicely. Shows one of the major benefits of golf in a natural setting
... Calming.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 11:47:14 AM »
Well put Anthony. They exude a purity that apparently some find offensive. ;). I initially had the same haunting feeling as Tom, but the foreground settled it nicely. Shows one of the major benefits of golf in a natural setting
... Calming.

So much more appropiate than having Niclklaus,Watson,Hogan or Woods over looking the links.

Anthony

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 12:00:54 PM »
Tommy is very talented. Like other work of his I've seen, in this he combines a technical know-how with good taste and a lovely, well, 'spirit', for lack of a better word.  His work always make me feel that golf and its fields of play are indeed in a sporting 'realm'  all of their own -- as if there was some kind of gentle magic at work there.  Funny - but that sense is incommunicable to anyone who hasn't played the game or been out on one of these kinds of courses; to them I'm sure I sound like a loopy romantic who has created this little narrative about the spirit of the game out of the subjective prima materia of my own psyche. They may be right -- but then, looking at Tommy's work, I remember again that I think it's an objective fact.

Peter 

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 01:08:58 PM »
Always nice to see Dan King taking his place among the greats.

I miss Tony's posts.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Lang

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 01:54:31 PM »
 8) can't wait to see the one about gca.com
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 07:39:37 PM »
A haunting and very evocative poster.  Reminiscent of the art-deco British railway posters.
Just an ex-Dundee lad getting maudlin here!

What is Tommy Naccer's background? I don't think I have come across his artwork before?

Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 07:50:19 PM »
I'm a big fan of Tony's work.
Having seen some of his recent renderings, he's really got his Photoshop technique nailed. I predict a whole new career ahead!

Colin,
we're talking here about Tommy Naccarato. Long time GCAer, MEGA-Scotophile, lover of the links and all round good guy.

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Steve Lang

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 08:17:41 PM »
 8) don't forget workin man electrician in Tommy's resume.. may it should also have eclecticion
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 08:36:37 PM »
I'm a big fan of Tony's work.
Having seen some of his recent renderings, he's really got his Photoshop technique nailed. I predict a whole new career ahead!

Colin,
we're talking here about Tommy Naccarato. Long time GCAer, MEGA-Scotophile, lover of the links and all round good guy.

cheers,
FBD.

Hard to argue with the "all round" part!   ;D

"Snarkmeister" Bill

A.G._Crockett

Re: Critiquing Tony's newest piece (Tom Naccarrato's SI alias Tony)
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 09:42:52 PM »
Beautiful work; I had no idea Tommy did this kind of thing.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jason McNamara

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 10:19:31 PM »
A haunting and very evocative poster.  Reminiscent of the art-deco British railway posters.

Exactly - I keep looking for one more line at the bottom of the poster:

EAST Three Trains Daily From London - King's Cross  COAST

But perhaps that's gilding the lily.  Absolutely gorgeous. 

Bill_Yates

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 10:43:05 PM »
Unlike any other sport I can think of, the game of golf ties our souls to its' beginnings.

Tommy,
This is a spectacular rendering that touches our emotions and reignites our passion for golf.
Well done laddie.
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Mike Cirba

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »
It's a very lovely rendering, and quite tasteful.

I believe that perhaps subliminally, Tommy was inspired by the June 14th, 1971 Sport Illustrated article, "The Ghosts of Merion" where hovering specters of great players like Hogan, Armour, etc., who won and lost across that great course, were superimposed atop pictures of the holes where the most dramatic of their feats occurred.

I don't have a scanner here, but perhaps some others have the magazine, as well, and could post a few?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back