News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Krueger

Oakmont Pictures!
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:53:15 PM »
Enjoy!  More to follow...

Greg Krueger

Re: Oakmont Pictures!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:01:31 AM »

Greg Krueger

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 12:07:01 AM »

Greg Krueger

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 12:13:31 AM »

Greg Krueger

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 12:16:08 AM »

Ron Csigo

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 12:19:32 AM »
Oakmont looks amazing!  Wonderful pictures Greg.  Thanks for posting.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Ron Farris

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 06:04:38 AM »
Jealous.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 06:25:49 AM »
You're the guy I dreamed of being on Monday-Wednesday, but other obligations kept me away.  Thanks for showing me what I missed.  If you have more, post them!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve Kline

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 09:07:02 AM »
Fantastic pictures! They really bring out the movement of the land.

Brad LeClair

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 09:16:33 AM »
the rough looks very trimmed down vs. the '07 Men's Open.  could it just be camera optics?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Greg!  The golf course looks to be in fantastic condition!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Greg Krueger

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 09:52:03 AM »
Brad, yes the rough is only 1.5 - 2" which I think is great considering the course is playing very F&F and the greens are rolling between 12-14.

It was my first time to Oakmont and it was really a treat. The scale of the place is what striked me, kind of like the first time you see Augusta National. The movement of the property is really awesome. My wife Sherri took all of the photos and although it was extremely hazy (And Hot) we really had a good time.

Brad LeClair

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 10:01:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing...

Chris Flamion

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 10:04:33 AM »
Very Jealous.  Everything looks so big.  Thanks for sharing.

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 10:27:36 AM »
Brad, yes the rough is only 1.5 - 2" which I think is great considering the course is playing very F&F and the greens are rolling between 12-14.

I wish they'd get a small group of top pros to play it Monday under those conditions to see what the scoring was like.

Great pix, thanks for sharing.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Burrows

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 11:48:54 AM »
With respect George, I know what you were trying to say, but your words, as written, couldn't possibly any more demeaning to women, or their skill at the game of golf.  In short, the top tour pros ARE there this week and under those conditions.
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 11:56:30 AM »
Great photos!  A couple of things I really like:

-  The wispy rough on top of the church pews!  I've never seen those with anything but green grass on top.

-  The almost primitive "cop" look to those fairway bunkers on the right side of #18!  They really give you a clue to the antiquity of this wonderful old course, a real bridge to the past.

Greg Krueger

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 12:14:26 PM »
Bill, it's funny you mentioned "Cops". I thought the exact same thing, kept thinking of Liverpool.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 12:30:29 PM »
Great pictures, but they're a little bit of salt in the wound -- yesterday I got a completely unexpected invite to play Oakmont (which I've never seen, let alone played), but probably will not be able to make it because of family obligations.  I've always been fascinated by the place, and these pics just add to that. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 12:37:51 PM »
Bill, it's funny you mentioned "Cops". I thought the exact same thing, kept thinking of Liverpool.

Greg, I don't think they probably look much alike side by side, but these certainly are evocative of those cops at Hoylake.

Did you play there?  What a course, I was there for two days in 2006 at a Buda Cup.

Greg Krueger

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 12:55:58 PM »
Bill, no I have not played Hoylake but I remember it from TV. The ditches at Oakmont remind me of the cops as well, kind of a reverse cop!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 01:21:35 PM »
Can anyone advise if Mr. M Studar is doing a rules official gig this week? 

George, wondering about what the men would do at this course under these conditions (<2" rough and pin placements probably not = to the men's set up) even if you put the men back on their distance tees, isn't what one should wonder, IMHO... it is what would some of us 10-15 handi's do from those ladies tees at 6600, and with same <2" rough do.  ;) ;D 8)

My guess is we'd struggle to break 100.  I think 10s would get into low 90s and a hot hand possibly breaks 90, and above 12s would battle it out with the evil Mr 100.  :P ::) ;)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 01:42:41 PM »
Bill, no I have not played Hoylake but I remember it from TV. The ditches at Oakmont remind me of the cops as well, kind of a reverse cop!

The cops at Hoylake are only about 18" high but are treacherous as the other side is OB!   :o   Sometimes the best, or at least most aggressive, play is over the cop.

George Pazin

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 01:45:12 PM »
Can anyone advise if Mr. M Studer is doing a rules official gig this week? 

George, wondering about what the men would do at this course under these conditions (<2" rough and pin placements probably not = to the men's set up) even if you put the men back on their distance tees, isn't what one should wonder, IMHO... it is what would some of us 10-15 handi's do from those ladies tees at 6600, and with same <2" rough do.  ;) ;D 8)

My guess is we'd struggle to break 100.  I think 10s would get into low 90s and a hot hand possibly breaks 90, and above 12s would battle it out with the evil Mr 100.  :P ::) ;)

John told us last night that Mark is working this week, as is John. John's with the 12:52 tenth tee pairing today, featuring Julietta Granada, among others. I'm po'd at myself I'm not going to make it out today, due to work problems.

Dick, I asked the same question on the other thread. I really wish they could get a small group of pros out there Monday to see what they'd do with much less rough. I think the greens would still result in the course more than holding its own.

I won't say what I'd shoot, under most any conditions; haven't played in forever, I'd visit on the course places Fownes would never expect. :) I don't see 10s breaking 100, unless you get a bunch of them together, 1 or 2 might.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 01:56:50 PM »
Love that second hole

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back