News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wyatt Halliday

Public Service Announcement
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:25:01 AM »

Due to the recent rash of access threads, I thought I might try and clear up some confusion regarding the parenthetical reference on the Discussion Group entry page.

"Free Access Forum" means access to the forum itself, not the courses we discuss.

Let's keep access whoring where it belongs....in the soft underbelly of the personal message feature.

Jim Colton

Re: Public Service Announcement
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 12:04:56 PM »
Nice Wyatt!  Where are you playing this weekend again? :)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 12:07:04 PM »
Well done, Wyatt.

One of my favorite notes ever in The Bill James Baseball Abstract was when he brought up a subject he had written about previously in the Detroit Free Press, the local newspaper.  He noted parenthetically that the Free Press had never paid him for the article, and he had not understood that was what their name meant.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:10:39 PM »
Nice Wyatt!  Where are you playing this weekend again? :)

I'll be at Grounds for Appeal Coffee House on Oak Park and Windsor. The acoustic set starts at 9:00pm, don't be late!

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 12:12:43 PM »
One of my favorite notes ever in The Bill James Baseball Abstract was when he brought up a subject he had written about previously in the Detroit Free Press, the local newspaper.  He noted parenthetically that the Free Press had never paid him for the article, and he had not understood that was what their name meant.

Now THAT is funny!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »
Wyatt, I'm certain most who are blatant about the threads aren't even aware they are doing anything wrong.

BTW, I'll be on long island in September, do you know of any courses worth seeing there?
 ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:17:10 PM »
Wyatt, I'm certain most who are blatant about the threads aren't even aware they are doing anything wrong.

BTW, I'll be on long island in September, do you know of any courses worth seeing there?
 ;)

That's interesting, Adam... I am gonna be near Clementon, NJ at the same time... is there anywhere worth playing there?

;D ;D

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 01:18:23 PM »
My witty internet friend-come-best bud Wyatt strikes again!  

There is an art to great courses.  And most folks on this site can weed out the ones who aren't in it for the love.  Exclusivity shouldn't play a part, though we all know that the desire to see a great course may include that giddy feeling every now and then.  My sincere wish is that I--or any of my good friends that have added to this thread--haven't been interpreted as someone who doesn't completely appreciate both being hosted and the courses themselves.  

And I swear on my life that my back did indeed let go that day in Northern Michigan.  

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 01:26:28 PM »
Ben:

All anyone should know about this subject is that the game of golf is full of wonderful people who love their home golf courses and consider it a privilege to be able to host interested (and interesting) guests.

That, plus the fact that these same people can discern when people are taking advantage of them, and that the golf world is so small that word travels very quickly about anyone who has crossed the line.

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
Perhaps you should look at these folks as doing everyone a favor by displaying their intent.

If anyone needs help getting on North Park GC, my home muni...don't call me, you're gonna have to stand in line with the rest of us. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 01:54:37 PM »
That is funny and well-done, Wyatt. But just to say, and as Adam suggests, maybe it's best to assume innocent mistakes and un-intentional breaches of protocol.  I say that because, while I try to be a conscientious and respectful sort (and, having worked in the service industry, still tend to tip as if I'm Joe Namath in his hey-day), on my one and only visit to a great private course I didn't end up thanking my host in anything close to a proper way. I'm still embarrassed about that.  At the time, I was so busy reminding myself to "buy something in the club-house" that I didn't think to give my host even a small token of my appreciation. I didn't even realize my lack of good grace for months afterwards. Just yesterday I was thinking that, more than a year later, perhaps it wasn't too late to write him, thank him, and send him that token of appreciation.  It really was an innocent mistake, bred by lack of experience.

Peter

DMoriarty

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 01:57:08 PM »
Damn it!   And here I've been trying to kiss butt and win friends to gain access to certain mid-Atlantic courses this whole time. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 02:01:34 PM »
Damn it!   And here I've been trying to kiss butt and win friends to gain access to certain mid-Atlantic courses this whole time. 

OK I have to say it... that has to be the funniest post in the history of this forum.

Well done, David.

God I am still dying....

;D ;D ;D

BTW as to the substance here... methinks Tom Doak nails it.. but methinks it's also better to stay the hell out of it.

JR Potts

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 02:06:21 PM »
I'm generally happy to host....but only those who have over 300 and under 10000.

That said, I find the access whoring quite annoying.

That further said, to that certain Illini fan Tom Doak member who is hosting the world out in the plaines.....thanks for responding to my email....jag.   ;)

Ben Sims

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 02:09:13 PM »

OK I have to say it... that has to be the funniest post in the history of this forum.

Well done, David.

God I am still dying....

;D ;D ;D

BTW as to the substance here... methinks Tom Doak nails it.. but methinks it's also better to stay the hell out of it.

Methinks you say methinks too much.  ;D

But you're right.  None of us should concern ourselves with how others see great golf courses.  Gib Papazian told me once, (after the tenth time I thanked him for letting me play with him and Neal Meagher at O Lake) "Do you think that all of us never had anyone to help us when we were younger?"

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 02:12:07 PM »
Nice job Wyatt.

I've been called the "Access Whore Police" today which is funny because I'm anything but. :) The site is really fantastic in that it's so wide reaching that you can meet and play with people all over the US and world. I've met a ton of really neat and interesting people over the last few years from here, all without "looking" for "access." I could care less if I play at a local muni or a "TOP 100" course as most of the people on here have the same golf interests as I do and are easy to talk to.

I've always welcomed anyone who happens to be coming to Chicago to let me know and we can either grab a beer, play golf, or at worst I can give some dining recommendations (as a foodie I'm always happy to help!).

H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 02:14:42 PM »
Pat,

You know you're my b*tch when it comes to food recommendations.... ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:25:31 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 02:16:10 PM »
I do say methinks too much.

But also, yeah, no one has any right to be the policeman here or elsewhere... but friendly advice should be taken to heart.... and that is what Tom D. is giving.

Or at least methinks so.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 02:17:25 PM »
Oh, yeah -- I forgot that bit. I mean, I forgot that as a potential access-seeker, I have no idea what it feels like to be an access-target.  I once knew a girl in highschool who, when she didn't want to go out on a date with a guy, would say: "Sorry, I'd like to but my arm hurts".  I thought that was genius - such a non sequitor, and such an uncommon excuse; she said it worked all the time. That might work for access-targets too. At the least, it would be kinder than saying: "No, not a chance. Why? Because I don't like you".

Peter

PS - Ryan, see, that's what I mean about a good excuse, i.e. a kind of completely arbitrary rule like "yes to those with more than 300 posts and less than 10000".   Or is it arbitrary? ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:18:57 PM by PPallotta »

PCCraig

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »
Pat,

You know your my b*tch when it comes to food recommendations.... ;D

Pleeeeeeeeeeasssssssssssssseeeee..... You're probably still hanging out at Spaggia....very 1999. :) ;) :)
H.P.S.

Richard Choi

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 03:11:01 PM »
Moriarity post is indeed a classic. I wonder how many people get it... :)

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 03:13:22 PM »
Pat and Jud, c'mon, look in the mirror please:

Pat = too young
Jud = too old
Demetriou = Juuuuuust right...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 03:31:48 PM »

David,
Full marks for your good sense of humor!  :)

Chris Buie

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »
Thank you for posting this thread Wyatt.  I learned about matters of access from the fine gentlemen that I was fortunate enough to grow up around.  I learned by their example.  There was never a single conversation regarding the matter.  The proper behavior was simply understood.  We all have learning curves in life though, and it is best to help others along with their growth, is it not?  So with the goal of being helpful I will say a few words.  I'm not saying that this is the only way.  I'm saying this is the way it was and still is amongst the circles I know.
In the South, you would not dream of asking for or even overtly intimating the desire for an invitation.  That's simply bad form.  People were genuinely friends with people - for who they were - not what they could do for them.  Invitations were naturally born out of that milieu.  Usually more invitations than you could keep up with.
Believe me, if you are a charming and gracious person the member will be delighted to have you join them for a round.  Is it not obvious that the reverse is true?
Yes, it is acceptable to have your pro make a reasonable inquiry with the corresponding pro.  And with your close friends you can be frank and say what is on your mind.  That is what close friends are for.  But even then you don't want to be pushy about it, of course.
Well, that is my perspective.  I'm not trying reprimand or patronize anybody.  I'm just trying to help others along. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 04:14:29 PM »
I'm trying to keep this one on the down-low, but the final item on my bucket list is the great template courses of the Dakotas...you know, the ones that close in the fall, winter and spring, but often have a notion of a few warm days in the summer...I'd particularly like to play each of the 8 "Nostril Holes" of Mt. Rushmore Trails before I pass to the next starter's hut.  Anyone know of anybody with access to MRT?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back