News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Wexler's new book "The American Private Golf Club Guide"
« on: July 06, 2010, 05:52:07 PM »
stumbled across this on amazon - anyone read it/know anything about it??

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1452837171/geoffshacke07-20
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Wexler's new book "The American Private Golf Club Guide"
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:07:43 PM »
I will probably get it, just to see if the words "access whore" are in the subtitle!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 06:11:12 PM »
I miss Dan Wexler on here.

And I know I can't be the only one.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 06:16:38 PM »
just purchased a copy, with the Ballyneal pay-it-forward link.  I'm a sucker for any reference book on golf or music....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Daniel_Wexler

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 11:27:53 PM »
George:

Thanks for the kind words.  I am still around - at least I make sure to look in fairly frequently - but I've been fortunate to have multiple projects ongoing, so...kind of busy.

DW

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:40:29 PM »
Welcome Back Daniel...

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 07:37:50 AM »
Sounds interesting! And would be a nice addition to the collection.

Anyway I (or anyone on GCA) would be able to purchase a signed copy from the author??? :)
H.P.S.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 08:26:01 AM »
ditto Pat's request!

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 03:53:08 PM »
Didn't realize the Resort book was out already. Must have slept through that. Ordered it right away. The private book was fantastic. I'm sure this one will be the same.

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 04:03:49 PM »
Didn't realize the Resort book was out already. Must have slept through that. Ordered it right away. The private book was fantastic. I'm sure this one will be the same.

Criss- I agree that it is a fantastic reference and quite an undertaking considering there are more than 1,000 courses profiled.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 09:06:54 AM »
Morning all,

let me preface this by saying that i have awoken in bad mood where the highlight of my golfing weekend might be 9 holes over 3 hours at dyker beach in nyc rather than 18 at any of the wonderful courses in the area. So i apologise in advance and i am in no way looking for an argument or insult anybody but i have to ask this because i maybe missing something.

Amazon states that  "Its purpose is to provide accurate, detailed and candid assessments of the country's best and most important private golf facilities, in order to aid the traveling golfer in determining where he or she might wish to play."

If they are private surely that means that even if i wanted to play they are not going to let me? or am i missing something and assuming that just because the likes of Augusta don't allow uninvited guests/non-members that is not the same for all private clubs in the USA?

I am in no way passing comment on the book and intend to purchase it myself, it just seemed that the amazon text gives one a false sense of hope.

best regards

MW
the most miserable golfer in the world this morning.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:20:13 AM by mw1979 »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 09:09:35 AM »
I think you have a valid point.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 09:14:45 AM »
Morning all,

let me preface this by saying that i have awoken in bad mood where the highlight of my golfing weekend might be 9 holes over 3 hours at dyker beach in nyc rather than 18 at any of the wonderful courses in the area. So i apologise in advance and i am in not way looking for an argument or insult anybody but i have to ask this because i maybe missing something.

Amazon states that  "Its purpose is to provide accurate, detailed and candid assessments of the country's best and most important private golf facilities, in order to aid the traveling golfer in determining where he or she might wish to play."

If they are private surely that means that even if i wanted to play they are not going to let me? or am i missing something and assuming that just because the likes of Augusta don't allow uninvited guests/non-members that is not the same for all private clubs in the USA?

I am in no way passing comment on the book and intend to purchase it myself, it just seemed that the amazon text gives one a false sense of hope.

best regards

MW
the most miserable golf in the world this morning.

MW1979-I think you have to read between the lines and assume that access must be arranged. 9 holes at Dyker is better than no golf at all. :)

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »
Why aren't these things available electronically?  Seems like the perfect title to keep handy on your iphone...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »
Morning all,

let me preface this by saying that i have awoken in bad mood where the highlight of my golfing weekend might be 9 holes over 3 hours at dyker beach in nyc rather than 18 at any of the wonderful courses in the area. So i apologise in advance and i am in not way looking for an argument or insult anybody but i have to ask this because i maybe missing something.

Amazon states that  "Its purpose is to provide accurate, detailed and candid assessments of the country's best and most important private golf facilities, in order to aid the traveling golfer in determining where he or she might wish to play."

best regards

MW
the most miserable golf in the world this morning.

MW1979-I think you have to read between the lines and assume that access must be arranged. 9 holes at Dyker is better than no golf at all. :)

Tim,

Of course access must be arranged, but from the Amazon description one would expect that the Guide would give some sort of description on guest policy (i.e. only with a member, unaccompanied sponsored by member, reciprocal...).  Does it not?

Mark

Matt_Ward

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 02:17:36 PM »
MW1979:

Well said -- books on private courses are quite limited.

Without the proper blood line or $$ or some other network connection -- it's akin to looking at Playboy magazine.

You can see -- but you will never touch.

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 02:35:07 PM »
We think alike Paul! I just ordered "The American Private Golf Club Guide"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back