News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: US Women's Open 2010 - Oakmont - thread
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 11:54:45 AM »
I can't imagine Michelle Wie putting well under those conditions.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JNagle

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
The golf course appears to be in incredible shape.  John Zimmers, his staff, the USGA and all the volunteers are doing a great job.  I really enjoyed the variety built into the competition.  Both the 2nd and 17th holes will have tees playing nearly at differing yardages of nearly 50 yards, tempting those that may desire a shorter approach.  Not sure why with the narrow approaches and menacing bunkers.  The 16th has an alternate tee approaching the green from far left, providing an open approach compared to the long right tee placement having to carry the large right greenside bunker.  

The photos are mostly black and white because I was trying to capture many of the subtle rolls in the fairways and greens.  The haze and overcast skies helped reveal the subtlties.

Hole 2 -

Hole 3 rear right portion of the green and fall-off.

Hole 3 rear left.  The previous golfers were putting up the slope.  Shows the variety of options.

The par 3 6th and its small green.

The 12th hole, uphill par 3.

Hole 18 from the tees

Hole 18 rear left of the green.  WHAT A GREEN!!!!!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:16:06 PM by JNagle »
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Chris Flamion

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
I can't imagine Michelle Wie putting well under those conditions.

But look at 2007, no one was making putts.  I think that with such severe greens the course favors ball strikers more than anything.

Richard Choi

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 12:20:16 PM »
Who is the female equivalent of Angel Cabrera? Lincicome? Pettersen?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 12:51:54 PM »

Maria Hjorth
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Birkert

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 07:34:24 AM »
Any thoughts as to the winning score?

Given that the general knock on women pros is that their short game and putting aren't as good as the men, and that Oakmont with ruthlessly expose that, I am thinking the winning score will be over par.

I understand the weather has meant firm and fast conditions can be expected.

I'm very excited to see this event as I couldn't relate to how the men played it.

What a golf course!

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 07:56:11 AM »
Any thoughts as to the winning score?

Given that the general knock on women pros is that their short game and putting aren't as good as the men, and that Oakmont with ruthlessly expose that, I am thinking the winning score will be over par.

I understand the weather has meant firm and fast conditions can be expected.

I'm very excited to see this event as I couldn't relate to how the men played it.

What a golf course!

+10
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 08:04:48 AM »
Just heard from my sister Jane who is doing TV commentary from Oakmont this week - she says the greens are 14.5 on the stimpmeter and that its going to be a tough week! Some understatement I think.

JohnV

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 09:09:33 AM »
I spoke with Mike Davis last night and he is adamant that the speed of 14 is needed to fully bring out the character of the greens at Oakmont. It allows players to use the slopes and contours to direct the ball to the hole.

Oakmont's greens are kept around that speed all the time. The only concession to the women is that they are a little softer than for the men.

Phil McDade

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 09:10:17 AM »

Maria Hjorth

Wie. Few can consistently hit the ball as long as her, and she has some shots -- high approach shots in particular with mid-irons -- that most of the women simply can't hit.

If the very tough greens at Oakmont render putting a (largely) moot point, wouldn't that work in Wie's favor?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »

Maria Hjorth

Wie. Few can consistently hit the ball as long as her, and she has some shots -- high approach shots in particular with mid-irons -- that most of the women simply can't hit.

If the very tough greens at Oakmont render putting a (largely) moot point, wouldn't that work in Wie's favor?

Guess again. 9 over through 11 holes.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jud_T

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 11:30:54 AM »
Wow,

Looks like we're going to see several scores in the 90s! Paging Matt Ward.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 12:25:12 PM »
Wow,

I think your math needs some work.

Richard Choi

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 12:34:17 PM »
You know who at 10 over... YIKES!!!

Tom Birkert

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 12:36:21 PM »
Healthy dose of bias here, my best friend's cousin is currently the leader in the clubhouse at level par.

She's also the first woman to have a hole in one on No. 16 at Cypress Point.

And yes, I'm very jealous!

Jud_T

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 01:59:33 PM »
Wow,

Well so far we have 15 scores in the 80s and 1/3 of the field hasn't teed off yet so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see a 9 handle yet....

George Pazin

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 03:55:32 PM »
Nice to see Paula Creamer had a solid round, there's been much speculation that her wrist would cause problems on the firm turf.

Also nice to see Christie Kerr playing well, which is to be expected.

Not so surprising about Wiesy, her short game skills are lacking and Oakmont tends to test the short game somewhat...

There are no female Cabreras in any respect.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mac Plumart

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 04:38:25 PM »
I just got my first opportunity to turn the tv on and watch this tournament.  I am pretty pumped!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 04:47:03 PM »
I fully realize this statement will sound stupid and show what a newbie I still am...

but I have never seen Oakmont (even on tv) prior to this tournament.  All I can say is WOW!!!  Stunning looking course.  Hard and SLICK greens (yeah, I know, I know, you guys already know that...but still amazing).
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2010, 07:47:43 PM »
Don't worry...When I asked what HECG meant, Garland "Mistletoe" Bailey asked how long I'd been on the forum...don't you have family in Pittsburgh, too???

By the way, if anyone speaks with Michelle Wie today, forward this to her, subject:  how to be funny at a presser...

"Tell us about your escape from the church pews on No. 3, that wonderful shot...
   KELLI SHEAN:  Those are really famous.  I thought I'd go in there for a change."
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2010, 09:30:45 PM »
Don't worry...When I asked what HECG meant, Garland "Mistletoe" Bailey asked how long I'd been on the forum...don't you have family in Pittsburgh, too???

By the way, if anyone speaks with Michelle Wie today, forward this to her, subject:  how to be funny at a presser...

"Tell us about your escape from the church pews on No. 3, that wonderful shot...
   KELLI SHEAN:  Those are really famous.  I thought I'd go in there for a change."

I should have asked don't you pretend to be a golf journalist?

Garland (remember you put me on at Christmas time)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 09:33:53 PM »
Ha ha ha...I absolutely pretend to be a golf journalist...I actually fool some people, although not the smart ones, like you.

The "don't you have family" question should have been separate, as it was for Mac...sort of a follow up to his family/golf visit to Ohio.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 09:44:26 PM »
Wow,

Well so far we have 15 scores in the 80s and 1/3 of the field hasn't teed off yet so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see a 9 handle yet....

Days done. How we doin' on that "9 handle"?
 ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 09:50:14 PM »
Now THAT is what I call the "Ideal Maintenance Meld" (IMM)----for top quality players, of course. It is such an IDEAL IMM that Mike Davis says it makes him positively giddy!  I think I'm giddy about how Oakmont is this week too; well, that is if giddy has something to do with sexual arousal.  :-*
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:53:37 PM by TEPaul »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 10:12:10 PM »
Oakmont makes me proud to be a Pennsylvanian.  What a place! 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back