News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

kurt bowman

Re: A Pictorial: Mayacama!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 09:01:44 AM »
Joel,

At the time this was the bunker style JN was comfortable with. I am not sure if he would want something different if he did it today. I am no longer with Nicklaus. I am designing one course for Nicklaus in Puerto Vallarta on a consultant basis and will be finished later this year. I was with ND for 13 years, with the last 5 in Mexico. I am now in the business of desalination and living in Florida, but still traveling extensively to Mexico, albeit mostly in a different capacity. Quite a transition, but I think the world needs water more than golf courses at the moment. Living in China is not appealing to me at the moment with children ages 12 and 8.

Cheers,

Kurt

Tim Leahy

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 01:15:36 PM »
Kyle, did your dad play Mayacama? How did he handle the walk?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2010, 01:58:45 PM »
What is the approx elevation above sea level of the course?

Does it play shorter than the card?

David_Tepper

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »
Carl Rogers -

Mayacama is not far from Santa Rosa, CA (elevation 105 ft.). If Mayacama is more than 200 feet higher than that, I would be surprised.

DT

Greg Tallman

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 04:08:06 PM »
Joel,

At the time this was the bunker style JN was comfortable with. I am not sure if he would want something different if he did it today. I am no longer with Nicklaus. I am designing one course for Nicklaus in Puerto Vallarta on a consultant basis and will be finished later this year. I was with ND for 13 years, with the last 5 in Mexico. I am now in the business of desalination and living in Florida, but still traveling extensively to Mexico, albeit mostly in a different capacity. Quite a transition, but I think the world needs water more than golf courses at the moment. Living in China is not appealing to me at the moment with children ages 12 and 8.

Cheers,

Kurt

Be honest! The Chinese said no to your dog!  ;)

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 10:17:03 PM »

He did not. He would have survived, but there are a few pant-inducing climbs.

Mr. Bowman,

Thank you for the insights!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Jim Franklin

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 03:41:01 PM »
Mayacama is 1 of the 9 I need to complete my GD list. Too bad Huck told me not to play it a few years ago while I was playing CPC.
Mr Hurricane

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 03:47:56 PM »
Mayacama is 1 of the 9 I need to complete my GD list. Too bad Huck told me not to play it a few years ago while I was playing CPC.

LOL
Did I say that?
Hopefully I just alerted you to the distance between the two, which is quite significant.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »

Tim:

Get with the program -- Huckaby's dad is the standard for everything in California.

Tom,

The grass line behind #2 green is probably a fair criticism. There is a carpath behind the green, and I considered taking the grass line above the cartpath to avoid the line that you noticed. I can't remember why I didn't as it has been 10 years now. Mayacama from it's beginning has always been a walking club. I wondered when I was there building the golf course how that may be received as it is a tough walk, but they have stuck to their original philosophy. The last I heard is that you needed a doctor's note to take a cart.

Kurt Bowman

Kurt:

I didn't mean to be criticizing Mayacama regarding the grass line; I was just picking that photo as a good reference after having discussed grassing lines ad nauseam on a different thread.  It is difficult, bordering on impossible, to really get great grassing lines on a course with continuous cart paths, because the path is always forcing a transition of its own.  Taking the native inside the paths is almost as difficult as taking the maintained turf outside the path is pointless.  We are just lucky that we've been able to work on many courses where we aren't forced into wall-to-wall paths.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 04:10:21 PM »

LOL
Did I say that?
Hopefully I just alerted you to the distance between the two, which is quite significant.

But make sure you take the Interstate Freeway between them if you play them both.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 04:11:55 PM »
Damn right, Tom.
 ;D

Weird thing is, he wouldn't be the world's worst standard, if "playable for all" is a goal.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2010, 05:20:14 PM »
How is the club doing financially?  I saw an article recently where fractional residential ownerships were being packaged for 4-5 clubs, one of which was Mayacama IIRC. 

Jim Franklin

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 09:21:01 AM »

LOL
Did I say that?

You alerted me to the distance and said it was worth it. I told you I drive long distances all the time, but you said "not worth the drive". Oh well. Shivas told me not to play Milwaukee CC and play Erin Hills instead. Milwaukee CC is still one of my nine as well.
Mr Hurricane

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 10:09:32 AM »
Jim, I would not have said it was not worth the drive if you had unlimited time.  My recollection is you had time pressures... and thus "not worth the drive" meant more not worth the stress of trying to get all the way up there battling traffic, and back, to meet a plane reservation you had.... that is, I didn't think you'd make it.

I would NEVER say this course was not worth seeking out.  It is fantastic.

I demand my name be cleared.

;D

Scott Warren

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 10:14:11 AM »
I was just reading through Dream Golf USA and saw the Mayacama write up.

Apparently the property used to be owned by the dude who drew/wrote the Peanuts comic strip.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 11:24:34 AM »
Jim, I would not have said it was not worth the drive if you had unlimited time.  My recollection is you had time pressures... and thus "not worth the drive" meant more not worth the stress of trying to get all the way up there battling traffic, and back, to meet a plane reservation you had.... that is, I didn't think you'd make it.

I would NEVER say this course was not worth seeking out.  It is fantastic.

I demand my name be cleared.

;D

I was going to fly in to Frisco, drive to play Mayacama and then drive to Monterey to play CPC/MPCC the next day. Sure I would have been tired, but...

Your name is still clear with me. It's all good. I hope to be in Napa for a wedding next month and play it then.
Mr Hurricane

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 11:30:43 AM »
Fatigue wasn't the issue, Jim.  DAYLIGHT was.  It's a long way from SFO to Mayacama.

So no, I did not say it was not worth the drive.  I said you may not make it in time to get in all 18 holes.. and IN THAT RESPECT, it was not worth stressing over, particularly since you had the rather large fish to fry the next day.

And since I knew you'd be back.

;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back