News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: Pebble Beach 8-9-10: The 3 best par-4's in a row?
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 11:02:08 AM »
Anyone who has EVER played PB cannot ever forget what the ocean holes are like -- the stretch from #6 through #10 is what lies at the core of why PB is so highly regarded.

Difficulty is a difficult issues to assess because host bodies like the USGA can doctor just about any hole to get a desired result.

Nonetheless, the combo of 8, 9 and 10 are all-world holes -- although I see the drive from #8 tee being a bit less so. I've come to a much fuller appreciation of the greatness of both #9 and #10 -- the added tee boxes have once again brought into play the usage of a driver because even the top players cannot club down and then expect to have an easier approach.

Frankly, I think the approach at #9 is more demanding than the one at #8.

+1

Tom Birkert

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
How about 1, 2 and 3 at Oakmont?

Probably the hardest opening hole in golf, followed by a fantastic short par 4 and then the iconic 3rd with the Church Pews bunker?

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 05:41:44 PM »
For 2nd place I'd vote:
Merion 14, 15, & 16
Oakmont 1, 2, & 3
Olympic 4, 5, & 6
Crystal Downs 5, 6, & 7

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2010, 05:48:39 PM »
Ian:

The three holes at Dornoch all in a line are the first real challenger I thought of, too.  It gives you something of the same feeling when you walk to that tee and look down on them all stretched out in front of you.  But, I agree with you that the holes are still a distant second to the three at Pebble Beach.

Really, aren't these three holes the reason Pebble is a top ten course?  A lot of the other holes are overrated, and the Open showed them up a bit, but these three are UNDER-rated by anyone who is suggesting competition.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2010, 06:39:30 PM »
Those three holes at Pebble are even better now that the fairways are cut right to the cliffs.

For an average player, there can be no more terrifying second shot in golf than #8, and 9 and 10 don't back off!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2010, 07:57:04 PM »
The best property for 3 par 4's in a row for sure.

It’s difficult to say anything in golf is ‘The Best’, but I do agree with this statement.

I apologise to Jordan, (you are obviously a massive fan of PB) but I have always felt the 8th, although spectacular, is strategically poor compared to other great par 4’s that I have played around the world, mostly because I have never felt the need to take on the cliff to give me the better approach angle. I would prefer the hole if the green favoured an approach from the right hand side more.

That's an interesting way to look at it.  I wonder what the green would be like, or where it would have to be, to more reward tee shots hit to the right side of the fairway and closer to the ocean.  It would certainly change the dynamic of the hole.

I personally like the simple drive, set up perfectly to allow the second shot to blow you away.

mike_beene

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2010, 10:29:57 PM »
I have always worried about the cliffs and safety on eight. I have seen a few people be fairly casual about the edge.Has there ever been a rail?I don't remember one and it would look worse but until you have played it you can't appreciate how far down it is.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2010, 11:11:02 PM »
Sven, You got me. You're right.
 I'm having a mental block on this thread's title.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Fred Yanni

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 04:51:09 PM »
Ian:

The three holes at Dornoch all in a line are the first real challenger I thought of, too.  It gives you something of the same feeling when you walk to that tee and look down on them all stretched out in front of you.  But, I agree with you that the holes are still a distant second to the three at Pebble Beach.

Really, aren't these three holes the reason Pebble is a top ten course?  A lot of the other holes are overrated, and the Open showed them up a bit, but these three are UNDER-rated by anyone who is suggesting competition.

Tom nailed it here - PB has my favorite stretch of holes in golf  7-10 but after that stretch, in my opinion, PB has too many average golf holes (of course average holes with world class views).  PB doesn't make my top 10 today and will probably fall out of my top 20 in the next few years.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 05:19:05 PM »
This thread is the very reason that I started a thread a few months ago wondering how cool it would be if the clubhouse/pro shop were moved to the far end of the property so that #11 became #1, and #6-10 became ##14-18.  The primary impediment (besides having to move the clubhouse, of course) would be a long walk from current 18 green to current 1 green. 

As this thread demonstrates, it would almost certainly be the best set of 3 par 4's to finish a course.  Would ##14-18 be the best five finishing holes? 

George Pazin

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 05:25:51 PM »

Probably the hardest opening hole in golf, followed by a fantastic short par 4 and then the iconic 3rd with the Church Pews bunker?

Glad I didn't have to be the one to say it.

PBs are prettier, but not better.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Gene Greco

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2010, 01:01:44 AM »
Tony:

Bill and Ben would have a good laugh over that.

Geez, Tom. Then you must be rolling on the floor after reading reply #23.

Indeed, I do believe that stretch at Pebble is king.

What came to my mind in the battle for second here in the US is 12, 13 and 14 at Shinnecock Hills...1,2 and 3 at both NGLA and Oakmont and any combination of 14 thru 17 at NGLA as well.

Oh, and how about 10 thru 12, again at NGLA.

Actually, Ian's list is a great summation but I have to eliminate The Maidstone's middle holes. Though #9 is one of the 10 greatest par 4s in the US the green at 10 is too severe and 11 is just a nice bent and not entirely memorable par 4.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:16:15 AM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Gene Greco

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2010, 01:07:26 AM »

George:

The only person left in cyberspace you still must convince of this is the one and only Sir Thomas of Huckaby.

Gene

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Neil Regan

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2010, 01:08:33 AM »
What about Sand Hills 13, 14, 15 ?

;)

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Gene Greco

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2010, 01:12:37 AM »

;)

Sorry, Neil. But 13 is a par 5.

DMoriarty

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2010, 01:15:45 AM »
Andrew. The 8th might be more strategic for the player that needs to flirt with the cliff. While it's approx 250 to the cliff and 165 in from there, slightly weak balls leave 200 yards in, which is too much for that level of player. If you're in the rough the temptation is there to go for it, but, rarely prudent.

I agree with Adam.   The drive may be boring for a top golfer, but for those who need to snug up to the cliff it is anything but, and that tee shot might be the most challenging on the course.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Neil Regan

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2010, 02:27:32 AM »

;)

Sorry, Neil. But 13 is a par 5.

Aren't they all ?

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2010, 09:03:25 AM »

George:

The only person left in cyberspace you still must convince of this is the one and only Sir Thomas of Huckaby.

Gene

Hmmm....
Gene, am I to believe by reading this that you believe the Oakmont stretch is superior to the Pebble stretch?  You call the Pebble stretch "king" above.

As for Oakmont, I have acknowledged many times it sure looks like a great golf course. What I can't seem to get a grasp on remains calling it  "better than Pebble Beach."

And I feel confident I am far from alone in that opinion.

Gene Greco

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2010, 09:25:51 AM »
     Huckster:

The stretch at Pebble, as I stated above, is king. Period.

The golf courses, Oakmont and Pebble, are comparable. Taken as a whole one is not superior to the other.

Given a choice my preference is to be at Pebble.

Gene

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2010, 09:30:29 AM »
Gene:

Bingo, we agree 100%.

George Pazin

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2010, 10:02:09 AM »
Huck, you should note that I did not say Oakmont's stretch was better, either. Both are spectacular, just in different ways.

I'm surprised no one said NGLA 1-2-3, or did I just miss it? I'll have to re-check the posts.

Gene, Huck & I both know we won't ever convince the other, but we have fun tryin'. :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:06:27 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2010, 10:06:55 AM »
George:  you should note that I never claimed you, or anyone, said anything.  I was just responding to what Gene said about me.

NGLA's opening stretch was already mentioned.

George Pazin

Re: Pebble Beach 8-9-10: The 3 best par-4's in a row? New
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2010, 10:14:29 AM »
George:  you should note that I never claimed you, or anyone, said anything.  I was just responding to what Gene said about me.

NGLA's opening stretch was already mentioned.

I never said you did, sorry if it came across that way, I was just clarifying my own post.

I also missed Gene's mention of NGLAs openers, should have known he would post it, he's kinda sharp.

:)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:24:11 AM by George Pazin »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back