News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

back to back opening par fives
« on: July 04, 2010, 12:37:51 PM »
I just returned from a golf trip to Colorado.   Colorado mountaiin golf is stunning and worst and spectacular at best.  Even when the course is average the views are magnificent.  

The last course I played was Catamount Ranch and Club in Steamboat Springs.  It is Tom Weiskopf design and it is a good one.  But it started with back to back par fives.  I don't ever recall seeing that before.  Are there other courses that open with two par fives?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff Doerr

Re: back to back opening par fives
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 12:49:22 PM »
Tommy,

Many moons ago I used to play some at Los Serranos Country Club, South Course down in SoCal. It opens with two and has six total with a par of 74. I caddied for a freind once who was in a qualifier for the SoCal Amateur. He went birdie, birdie to start, but stumbled into the low 80s by the end of the round.

Cheers, Jeff
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Stan Dodd

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 12:57:21 PM »
Dunbar opens with up and back par fives so one is always into the wind and one down wind.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 01:01:21 PM »
LACC  has opening par 5s but that may change with the remodel?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 01:07:16 PM »
When I was a member at Riviera in the seventies, Nos 1 and 2 were par fives.

Bob

Bill Seitz

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 01:35:01 PM »
Tommy,

Many moons ago I used to play some at Los Serranos Country Club, South Course down in SoCal. It opens with two and has six total with a par of 74. I caddied for a freind once who was in a qualifier for the SoCal Amateur. He went birdie, birdie to start, but stumbled into the low 80s by the end of the round.

Cheers, Jeff

About 15 years ago they lengthened the second hole to make it a true par five.  It used to be a short hole and fairly easy for a par five.  I believe 16 was that was as well, but I don't think they changed that hole.  I moved out of LA and haven't played there in years, but my understanding is that they got an infestation of a particular beetle that killed a lot of the Eucalyptus trees.  They lost some 5,000 trees or so. 

That's the only course I've played that opens with two par fives, but I have played another courses that closes with two par fives, and four of the last five holes are par fives.  The Victoria Club in Riverside, CA finishes with 3, 5, 5, 3, 5, 5, so the 12th hole is the last par four you play.  It's a very old course for the region, built in 1903.  Pretty short and really tight, but a lot of fun to play.  It was our home course my senior year in college.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 01:50:50 PM »
The muni at Costa Mesa CA starts with two par 5s. 

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 01:52:58 PM »
Kingsley Club
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 02:38:01 PM »
Sunningdale Old used to start with two par 5s, but No 2 was changed to a par 4 a few years ago.

The women still play them as par 5s, Karen Stupples started 3, 2 in the Womens Open in the final round when she won.

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 03:33:45 PM »
tension East in Dallas opens with two reachable par fives that can jam up play incredibly. believe the pubilinx was once there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 05:03:36 PM »
The Valley Club of Montecito (Mackenzie-Hunter, 1929) starts with two par 5s followed by the 436 yard 3rd which is up hill with a fiendishly steep green.  5-5-5 has always been a great start!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 05:49:55 PM »
It is amazing how quickly I can forget.  I have played Old Sunningdale, LACC North,  and Riviera, although two was a par four/five.  JC I know two may seem like a par five, but I can still make a bogey four there.

At Catamount there wass no reason number two couldn't have been a strong par four.  Same can be said for either one or two at Sunningdale.  In fact, I think number one is an easier par four than number two.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 08:26:48 PM »
Pymble in Sydney starts with two P5's

bill_k

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 10:46:46 PM »
West Palm Beach CC (Dick Wilson) in Florida begins with back-to-back par 5's.
The original layout must have been a lot of fun. Not much left to see due to years of neglect....the bones of a really neat course are there. Unusual natural elevation in a few spots reminds me of North Palm Beach CC.

Frank M

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 11:08:47 PM »
Bayview Country Club in Toronto

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 08:05:42 AM »
West palm beach cc starts with 2.  Both reachable if memory serves me correct

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 02:37:40 PM »
Baywood G&CC (Bob Baldock, r. Robt. Muir Graves) in Arcata, Calif., has two opening par 5 holes.

And just about the coolerest, funnerest back nine out there!

Tom
the pres

Mike Wagner

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 05:23:34 PM »
Inglewood GC (Macan) - Seattle

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 05:29:28 PM »
When I was a member at Riviera in the seventies, Nos 1 and 2 were par fives.

Bob

Great to see Bob posting again, I'm sure we all hope you are on the road to recovery.
Cave Nil Vino

Andy Troeger

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 06:06:19 PM »
Fort Wayne Elks GC (Indiana) starts with two par fives, and also ends with one. I think the other is at #15, so you go quite awhile in the middle of the round without a long hole!

Tommy--what did you think of Catamount Ranch compared to other courses in Colorado? I think its the highest ranked course that I haven't seen in the current GD state listing, mainly because its not that easy to get to!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 01:07:36 AM »
Andy, I played Haymaker in the morning.  It is a municipally owned course and is excellent.  It may be the site for the Woman's Publinx.  I thought Catamount waas exceptional.  It is so dramatic in places that it can overshadow the excellent golf.  IT has two terrific short par fours and some excellent par threes.  The routing is a little goofy because Weiskopf wanted the to use the most stunning land.  I think it is easily a top ten in the state.  The trip to Steamboat is worth it for both Haymaker and Catamount.
St. John of the Cross

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 01:27:15 AM »
Kooyonga in Adelaide.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back