News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Kardash

Re: Photo tour of the Pete Dye Golf Club
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 07:15:28 PM »
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Greg Tallman

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2010, 07:55:30 PM »
Greg:

You say it's "vary (sic) overrated by Golfweek" -- how much of an overrating is present in your mind?

Would you not have the course in the top 50 of the modern layouts? Right now it's much higher than that -- believe it's in the top 10.

What elements make you see it in a lesser position?

It would help to know which Dye courses you truly like -- a top five listing if you can provide -- thanks.

Matt, I think it obvious I love Pete Dye GC and think Harbour Town and Kiawah Ocean are fantastic.

Last I saw PDGC was like #4 modern which I think is a bit high. Heck as a native West Virginian I would love to boast of the place as the best in the land but that would be silly.

Doin't know that I have played a Dye course that has turned me off though I also find Long Cove somewhat overrated (with all due respect to my buddy and 10 or 11 time Club Champ who recently qualified for this year's US Senior Open).

Other than Muirfield Village I don't have another example of a course I would personally rate higher as I do not have the list in front of me.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »
Dan, I don't remember getting close to the river on that hole...what was awesome about the hole were the coal stacks way in the distance, the second-tier of fairway that made the second shot blind, and the dude repairing the front right bunker whose noggin we didn't want to bean...this was last August, the day before a big club tournament.

There's one awesome shot that sticks out in my mind:  the 2nd shot on the 5th hole.

If your tee shot if over to the right you have a shot that needs to go along the river to the treen sort-of perched on the right side of the river.  It's like hitting a 200+ yard shot along a beautiful waterway.

I went for it twice and drowned it twice.  But it's one of the most memorable, beautiful shots I've ever attempted.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean_A

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2010, 03:25:08 AM »
I looked at the pix and style of architecture and immediately thought this was a perfect opportunity to go bunker free on a high profile course.  The course looks tough as hell and doesn't need a dash of sand.  Plus, the bunkers, and there are absolutely shit loads of them,
look dreadful. I don't get many of them even from the perspective of placing for eye candy.  However, I can honestly say that despite what I think is a huge muck up with the bunkers, the course looks good.  It doesn't make me want to jump on a plane by any means, but it looks good. 

One day an archie is gonna grow a pair and really give shot values some serious thought and come to the conclusion that on a good piece of land bunkers can be a drawback. 

Thanks for posting Joe. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Matt_Ward

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2010, 02:20:23 PM »
Greg:

Still confused -- you say it's "way overrated by Golfweek" -- can you tell me if you think it should be rated at all? And, if so, where would you rate it?

By the way I agree 100% w you on Long Cove -- gets too much love from the Tom Doak fan club -- good layout but not worthy of national acclaim in my mind.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2010, 10:07:10 PM »
Greg:

Still confused -- you say it's "way overrated by Golfweek" -- can you tell me if you think it should be rated at all? And, if so, where would you rate it?

By the way I agree 100% w you on Long Cove -- gets too much love from the Tom Doak fan club -- good layout but not worthy of national acclaim in my mind.

Matt, Not sure, maybe Top 30????? just not top 5 modern. I would have to sit down and study the current list before offering a defeinitive placement for PDGC.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2010, 10:38:41 PM »
Greg:

When you originally said "way overrated" that says to me you don't see the course as being worthy of being rated.

For a course to drop only from the top 5 to say a top 30 position doesn't signal to me that it's THAT overrated.

If you want to make an argument for overrated -- see WS in WI. The place gets plenty of free mileage because it hosts major championships. The overkill of the bunkers is just one clear example of throwing everything accept the kitchen sink into the design.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 03:32:33 PM »
I've recompiled this photo tour and bump it now b/c of interest in Bill Brightly's thread.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Greg Tallman

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2012, 04:05:55 PM »
I've recompiled this photo tour and bump it now b/c of interest in Bill Brightly's thread.

Does this mean I must revisit an argument with Matt that I did not think I invited?   ;)

Headed that way next week for some football... may try to pop in at PDGC or Pikewood.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2012, 07:26:46 PM »
Greg

Are you going to the Baylor/WVU game or the Maryland game?

Baylor then turning around and going to Austin the following week. If we are still unbeaten upon my return to Cabo then  we may be in for a special season.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2019, 02:15:57 PM »
I've recently fixed all the URLs on this photo tour so it is back and better than ever!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Photo tour of the Pete Dye Golf Club (broken URLs now fixed!)
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2021, 12:00:05 AM »
Has anyone been there lately?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back