News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Trey Kemp

Re: "GOLFERS'" Club Roll Call!
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 11:59:03 PM »
Dallas National
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Matt Bosela

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 11:59:43 PM »
The discussion between Mike Whitaker and David Elvins is priceless on the link between red meat and red wine.

On topic,, I know the vast majority of you guys have never been there, but Sagebrush is totally a true "GOLFERS" club. It is completely fast and firm and made for the ground game and tons of fun. The only reason it may not be a true "GOLFERS" club is that it is a difficult walk. But only from green to tee on some holes. Even I am considering giving a walk a try and at my age, if I make it and am still playing decently, then it is a true "GOLFERS" Club.

Going back to Elvins and Whitaker, Sagebrush dinners are unbelievable Alberta steaks and lots of red wine.

I just hope more of you guys get up here to share the experience. It is truly unique and more fun than you can imagine.

Regards,

Three more weeks Bob until my next visit and I am counting down the days!

Matt Bosela

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 12:01:14 AM »
Oh, and I'd definitely throw Ballyneal into the mix - I doubt many head to Holyoke just for the Bocci!

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 12:31:58 AM »
Haven't played it, but from what I've read Redtail would fit into this category quite nicely.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 12:49:07 AM »
Matt,  when I finally accept the invitation to Ballyneal, I'm bringing my clubs and my shotgun.  That place will definitely not be all about the golf.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 07:39:15 AM »
Matt,  when I finally accept the invitation to Ballyneal, I'm bringing my clubs and my shotgun.  That place will definitely not be all about the golf.

The bocce is also not to be missed!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 08:02:47 AM »
My home club of Great Southwest is golf only.  It started men only golf and only later did it get a women's locker room.  There is no pool or any of that, just golf and a casual dining area, and oh yes, the card room.

It has a reputation for fast play, which has spoiled my son from playing anywhere else.  For example, on Fathers Day, we played in 3.5 hours, and on a few occaisions, we slip out for a lunch time round, and it doesn't take longer than a three martini lunch to play 9 and get back to work.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Steve D

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 08:03:44 AM »
What about Shinnecock Hills.  They don't even serve dinner in the clubhouse which incidentally is only open for the summer season.  I'd say its a pretty pure "golfer's club".

David_Madison

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 08:04:10 AM »
Old Town
Kinloch
NGL
Eagle Point
Pine Tree
Adios
Old Chatham
Portmarnock

Carl Johnson

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 08:38:48 AM »
Apparently Wolf Run has 17 members whose handicaps are 0 or better.  The only other two clubs that I know of that can compete with that are Whisper Rock and Champions.

I'll be the devil's advocate here and take the position that low handicaps are not indicative of a "golfer's club."  I would argue that even throwing that out as a statistic, as evidence that the club is a "golfer's club," disqualifies the club from further consideration.  I am sure that you get my point and for now I'll say no more.

Brian Stewart

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 08:43:58 AM »
Desert Forest.

Bruce Hospes

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 09:14:41 AM »
Shoal Creek

JC Jones

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 09:32:51 AM »
The Mother Ship of GOLFERS Clubs is Bethpage Black.

Pro athletes, pro golfers, fireman, cops, Jersey guys (Matt may yell about the $$ but...), Wisconsin guys call their friends in New York, try to break the phone system code, pay huge premiums, sleep in their cars, rent Winnebago's to play the course.

Mike and Phil,

I would work on your reading comprehension. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 09:46:42 AM »
Greetings from the Peach State!

Augusta National
Peachtree
Cuscowilla
Champions Retreat
Lookout Mountain

JC Jones

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 10:11:26 AM »

Augusta National
Peachtree
Cuscowilla
Champions Retreat
Lookout Mountain

Hey Mark, which is more demoralizing, losing to McBride or losing to the Lou Duran/Jones power combo?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 10:16:32 AM »
Austin Golf Club
Shoreacres
Flint Hills
Honors Club

"The Honors Course" immediately comes to mind.  That is its official  name - no mention of "club."

Mike

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Paul Carey

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2010, 10:16:58 AM »
Two that I am privileged to be a member of:
Old Memorial
Four Streams.

Both are real "Golfers Club"

They have spoiled me greatly.  It is hard to watch how golf is diminished at so many "Country Clubs".

Scott Szabo

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2010, 10:45:18 AM »
Sand Hills and Ballyneal were two that came to mind immediately
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Mark Pearce

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2010, 11:00:58 AM »
"The Mother Ship of GOLFERS Clubs is Bethpage Black..."

Thank you Mike! I was loathe to make that comment because all would have simply thought "there goes Phil about the Black again..." But since you did, you are right. Bethpage is all about golf. Even from its original opening when there were many other facilties within its bounds, those who played tennis didn't play golf. The play fields and baseball, football fields, etc... were ther so that entire families could come out and so allow dad an ability to play golf.

Bethpage is a golfer's PARADISE...

Is Bethpage a club?  I had understood it was a public course and that the golfers who played were not members of a "club".  I'm sure it's all about golf but that doesn't make it a golfers' club.  If I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »

Augusta National
Peachtree
Cuscowilla
Champions Retreat
Lookout Mountain

Hey Mark, which is more demoralizing, losing to McBride or losing to the Lou Duran/Jones power combo?

When you birdie and lose the hole, it is pretty tough, in fact one might fall down! 

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2010, 11:10:28 AM »
SOME CLARITY ON WHAT I THINK DEFINES A GOLF CLUB

1.  PRIVATE
2.  NO WEDDINGS
3.  NO TENNIS "PROGRAM" (COURTS ARE OK)
4.  NO SWIM TEAM (POOL IS OK)
5.  WELL CONDITIONED GOLF COURSE

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 11:33:44 AM »
"The Mother Ship of GOLFERS Clubs is Bethpage Black..."

Thank you Mike! I was loathe to make that comment because all would have simply thought "there goes Phil about the Black again..." But since you did, you are right. Bethpage is all about golf. Even from its original opening when there were many other facilties within its bounds, those who played tennis didn't play golf. The play fields and baseball, football fields, etc... were ther so that entire families could come out and so allow dad an ability to play golf.

Bethpage is a golfer's PARADISE...

Is Bethpage a club?  I had understood it was a public course and that the golfers who played were not members of a "club".  I'm sure it's all about golf but that doesn't make it a golfers' club.  If I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected.

Exactly my thoughts, Mark.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Adam Sherer

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 11:51:02 AM »
Newport CC
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Carl Nichols

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 12:07:07 PM »
Four Streams
Burning Tree
Winged Foot (?)
Lost Dunes
Laurel Valley

Garland Bayley

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »
5.  WELL CONDITIONED GOLF COURSE

Give me a break! Real men don't play well-conditioned!

After well-conditioned, the next thing you will want to do is play lift clean and cheat!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:18:33 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back