News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Remington (SBR)

would you rather....
« on: August 31, 2010, 07:48:03 AM »
   for nine holes have a par 35 with a weak par 5 or a par 34 with a strong par 4??

PCCraig

Re: would you rather....
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:27:38 AM »
   for nine holes have a par 35 with a weak par 5 or a par 34 with a strong par 4??

Isn't that essentially the same thing?
H.P.S.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:06:48 AM »
What is par and why is it relevant?  That song doesn't play in this saloon.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:10:33 AM »
I guess I'm the weirdo.  I think it matters...I'll take the strong par 4.  A strong par 4 reminds me of 7 at Inverness and 5 at Pinehurst #2.  Great holes!!! 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Fred Yanni

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »
Agree with RTOM here - design the best hole the land allows for - there is not much satisfaction in receiving a pointelss ego boost from a pitch and putt par 5. 

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:38:02 AM »
   I agree that it should not matter but I know to some it does.  So much so that our Master Plan includes a replacement par 5 that is very forced and IMHO does not work.   We currently have a 36 - 35 for a 71.  My position is that 36 - 34 par 70 gives us the best 18 holes.  Some will say this is to unbalanced.  I need to understand both sides of the argument.

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »
Sean,

I take it you mean the strong 4 and the weak 5 would be different holes, not just the same hole with a discretionary par?

How greatly to they differ? Same corridor? Same tee or green?

Ken Moum

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 10:18:08 AM »

Being a short hitter, and reluctantly admitting that par does matter to me even though it shouldn't, i'll take the short par five.

One of our local municipal courses has recently been turned over to Billy Casper Golf and they have done a lot of really good stuff there, including putting in a set of forward tees at the "correct" length for normal women.

But they also changed the shortest par five to a par four. It was just long enough to qualify at 466 yards from the back tee, but it was barely reachable for most of us, due to an uphill tee shot.

The last few times I played there, I said to my partners, "This hole isn't as much fun as it used to be... when it was a par five."

They all agreed.

The problem is that it's a short course anyway, and making that hole a par four gave par a little credibility with the masses.  I just think it was a poor choice of hole to do it on.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 10:36:08 AM »
the latter...why have a mediocre hole??
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back