News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Erin Hills vs. Liberty National
« on: June 26, 2010, 07:03:51 PM »
Which course will end up getting the worst reviews from the PGA players when it is all said and done.

I am still aghast that Erin Hills got the US Open given how horrid the course is.  And, I love how Ron Whitten is distancing himself from the project since the original owner took the quirk out of the course.

Tom_Doak

Re: Erin Hills vs. Liberty National
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 07:49:14 PM »
Steve:

By the time the Open gets to Erin Hills, don't you think that Liberty National will be long forgotten?

Brent Carlson

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 08:23:32 PM »
Steve,

Just curious as to what is so horrid about the course?  Granted I played it years ago, but I thought it was a good track.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 10:44:43 AM »
Steve,

Can you go into what is so horrid about Erin Hills?  The last couple years have been terrible with regard to condition, but do you see things architecturally that are "horrid?"  When was the last time you played it?

Dan Moore

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 02:58:53 PM »
Assuming the new owner can get the conditioning under control, and it looks like they are committed to putting in the resources to do so, I think the pros will like Erin Hills.  Please elaborate on why you think it is so horrid. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
Let's pile on Steve...actually, what Steve wrote is endemic to this site:  an overly-generalized statement with no supporting evidence.  I my own self have been guilty of this breach on occasion, so I point it out wherever it occurs.  My ambition is to take potentially-strong threads and allow them to realize that strength.  Let's see it, Steve!!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Wagner

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 03:11:35 PM »
Dan,

Glad you mentioned conditioning - it looks fantastic out here and the new ownership is dedicated to championship playing conditions.  I was in awe seeing it for the first time since last year just a few days ago - over 400 trees were taken out (making views and overall "dunesy" feel way better) and the overall condition is stunning vs. last year.

Hope we can get out again this year....maybe in Chicago as well!

Mike

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 03:22:48 PM »
Gents:

I have not played Erin Hills thus far so I won't comment on that part of the question.

Liberty National is just long and quite frankly architecturally vapid. It is tough no doubt -- but what course would not be with 7,400+ yards in length and fairways tighter in the key choke point areas. It is dead flat and save for the gorgeous views of lower Manhattan and the nearby Statue of Liberty I don't see what is there. Clearly those who want something of archtectural interest head to the nearby Bayonne club to see something that is rather unique and fun to play.

Unrelated note -- does Golf World plan to run other articles about Erin Hills through the tagline of its architecture editor who also happened to be an active consultant with that project. Makes me wonder - how does one be an umpire (judger of courses) when you have a direct hand as a consultant (player) in one? I thought they were going to place a wall between such situations from happening. Those walls mush be made of Swiss cheese. ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back