News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

A sign of greatness?
« on: June 26, 2010, 08:31:15 AM »
When 4 players of differing abilities can approach a pin position from all different directions, giving each a chance at getting close the hole?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Gary Slatter

Re: A sign of greatness?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:35:18 AM »
Would the cup have to be in a bowl?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Ron Farris

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 08:59:24 AM »
Good question Adam, but I think about the many golf holes in the Midwest that are pretty mundane, flat and without any hazards.
Golfers of all levels could easily access the pin from any direction.  Now if you think about some holes at Ballyneal, you might find some greatness.  I think one of the reasons is that one can use creativity and hit shots to varying slopes ridges, internal contours, etc. and access the pins.  Remember I have not played Ballyneal, but I have a pretty good feel for the place.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 09:00:56 AM »
Gary, No, but as Ron states, certainly there needs to be enough undulations to allow for creativity.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 09:12:23 AM »
That could just be a sign that the hole isn't very difficult. I could point out examples of regular easy golf courses where that's true.

But personally I like courses with a fair amount of holes that have places where you just don't want to be. It might just be one really deep bunker, but having a mix of recoverable zones and severe hazards makes the game more interesting, even if it means that not all angles are recoverable.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back