News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

Sharp Park?
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:38:49 PM »
I'm heading to San Francisco shortly. As a MacKenzie aficionado, should the trip to Sharp Park be made? I've been to Northern California many times, just haven't gotten around to it.

Would it be a good idea to combine it with another in the area for 36 in the one day? What would be the best option for the second round?

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

David_Tepper

Re: Sharp Park?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:49:46 PM »
Padraig -

The conditions at Sharp Park are rough, even for a municipal course. That being said, it can be a very pretty spot on a nice day.

From Sharp Park, the Olympic Club, the Cal Club, Lake Merced,San Francisco, Green Hills & Harding Park are all within an easy 20-minute drive.

You are welcome to IM me with your travel schedule. Maybe we can set up a game together.

DT

Chris Buie

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 05:26:26 PM »
Padraig I'd suggest that you play this course while you can because the last I heard Sharp Park was in real danger of being closed.
For red legged frogs and garter snakes.
The people fighting to close the course have zero understanding of the significance of having a MacKenzie course available for the public. They do not understand the historic dimension and their comprehension of civic health is not impressive.
I love natural areas and am happy to see certain areas preserved but in this case depriving the urban public of a much needed avenue for outdoor activity is I think unwise and short sighted. When you add the role it has played in the history of the town and the fact that it was done by MacKenzie (of all people) the resolution of this particular case is not such a difficult call to make.
My guess is that they will end up closing the 9 holes close to the wetlands.
Oh and to the people working very hard to close it: what do you think happens when the opportunities for healthful activities for youth are diminished? You are oblivious to the negative ramifications of the policies you are so stridently pushing. In other words, you are advocating a path that will make things worse for the kids and for the less well heeled members of your city.
http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2011/sharp-park-09-26-2011.html

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:29:29 PM by Chris Buie »

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »
I would say its a worthwhile venture if you are a MacKenzie aficionado.  As discussed many times before, how much of the original design left is debatable, but depending on when you are out this way again, it could be your last chance.  If you can overlook rough conditioning in exchange for the history of the golf course and a pretty setting, it can be an enjoyable experience.  Getting in 36 shouldn't be an issue with a little planning, there is plenty of golf in the area.  If you are unable to secure a round at any of the places David mentioned, there is always the option of playing Lincoln Park or Gleneagles.   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back