News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Farrow

Sheep Ranch
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:11:32 PM »
Heading to Bandon Dunes after the 4th, should get around to playing all 4 courses. Will probably have some extra time, should I, How do I..... go about hitting it around the sheep ranch?

Is it worth the trip to visit Bandon Crossing? Crossing Vs. Sheep ranch, which would you do?

Ronald Montesano

Re: Sheep Ranch
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:13:08 PM »
Go to the off-course pro shop on the outskirts of town and ask about it...I've heard the guy there has the keys to the kingdom.  I'd go in a heartbeat.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 09:15:14 PM »
Ryan,

I'd go Sheep Ranch, simply because it expands the realm of the possible, and is so out of the box and so damn fun.

You can determine for yourself how much might be applicable or practical elsewhere, but at least you'll know where the theoretical limits of the game are.

It's also more fun than should be legally allowable, but play it with someone else and have a match.

It'd also be a great place to play a last round and die.

Did I mention I like it?

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
 8) skip bandon crossing unless you really need a place to knock off the rust.. and even then get to bandon and its range.. and warm up on Shorty's, the par 3 layout, if possible..

Sheep rnach just didn;t fit our schedule, but it looked interesting from afar

note fellow running golf store on north side of bandon is good guy, and speaks very highly of "Mr Keiser"
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 09:36:47 PM »
1) Bandon Golf Supply is your ticket.  For fun, make sure to call it Area 51 or Operation 10 or something cool like that.

2) Wear jeans and sweatshirt

3) No golf bag.  Just carry three clubs in hand of your choice.  I recommend 3I, PW, Putter.

4) Don't play the scorecard.  But keep it for memento.

5) Take a flask.  Don't imbibe too much.  You'll want to remember this day.

I experienced it too early in my golfing life.  I miss the feeling I had that day.  Which has only ever been rivaled by the first aileron roll I ever did.   

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 10:31:46 PM »
I thought the course was closed during the summer months as there's no fairway irrigation...?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 11:05:41 PM »
Oh, they have ways of irrigating in the summer Jud...

Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 11:10:26 PM »
Evan,

That's epic.  Which photographer from Esquire was there that day?  Or was it GQ?

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 08:22:01 AM »
I am headed to Bandon in 3 weeks, am absolutely keen to play Area 51, almost more than the 4 courses at Bandon. I have been told twice that I cannot play as it is closed because it is too dry over summer(July) without irrigation.

So, is it possible or not? It is without doubt my dream golf day with mates, a match, and some nectar.
Brett
@theflatsticker

Steve Salmen

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 08:36:03 AM »
I hope I'm not giving up too much information:

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 10:13:51 AM »
I have been there 4 times at various times during its evolution. I never seem to like the changes, but it is still the coolest place in a world full of cool places. I would actually take more like 8 or 9 clubs. There are some cool drives and wonderful holes you can dream up. I hope you catch a day when you have it to yourself. The Sheep Ranch is the Sheep Ranch and one of the special places for any of us to spend a day.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 10:19:51 AM »
Can I ask what's so special about it?

I mean that green site up above looks pretty great but what's the main attraction? The solitude?

Is it just a bunch of green sites and you can play any which way you want? - That would be very cool...

I was kind of expecting a bunch of open sand dunes but the photos I saw make it look very well maintained compared to the picture I had in my head...

Scott Furlong

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 10:52:55 AM »
If you’re lucky enough to get the invite, talk to the caddy master at Bandon or Pacific.  4 years ago they offered up caddies for our round at the Sheep Ranch.  We did not take them but it was offered.  It took us 3 days to get directions because nobody in the pro shop seemed to know anything about the Sheep Ranch.  They knew but played dumb.  We finally got directions from a caddy and still got lost, we ask an elderly lady ½ mile from the course and she said the only golf course she knew was the ones up the road near Bandon.  I have a picture of the white post with an address but for fear of getting in trouble I will not post it.  The white post’s number ends with a 0 and has 5 numbers.  

Do not play alone.  Put a peg in the ground and play to a green.  Winner picks the next green and the par.        
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:54:45 AM by Scott Furlong »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 10:53:15 AM »

I mean that green site up above looks pretty great but what's the main attraction? The solitude?

Is it just a bunch of green sites and you can play any which way you want? - That would be very cool...

I was kind of expecting a bunch of open sand dunes but the photos I saw make it look very well maintained compared to the picture I had in my head...

I would say that it's an extension of the good vibe at Bandon, but from a more primal level.  It seems at times like made-up golf, with the ability to improvise and explore, much in the way that Mike Keiser described playing wilderness golf with his family on the land that would become the Dunes Club in Michigan.  Sheep Ranch is actually owned by Mikes business partner, Phil Friedman, who lives in Chicago and plays at Beverly.  He's as low key as they come and he seems justifiably proud of the ethos of Sheep Ranch.  

When I played it, we asked our caddies to bring their bags and we had a match with them, complete with cases of beer and a boxed lunch prepared by the resort.  It was a great way to bond with the caddies whom we had gotten to know quite well over the four days we were there.  The par three that hangs over the ocean is one of the coolest holes you'll ever play.

Go play Sheep Ranch, you'll never regret it.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ben Sims

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 11:05:45 AM »

The PAR three that hangs over the ocean is one of the coolest holes you'll ever play.

How dare you speak that word in reference to The Ranch.  Fiddlesticks! :)

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 12:02:08 PM »
Ok... this is starting to sound like some secret club.... I'm sure enough I can find this place through google earth. Go to pro shop, and then do I have to say some kind of secret password? Is there any kind of cost associated with this? who maintains the course? Bandon Dunes staff?

Have I asked to many questions?

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 12:13:25 PM »
The Sheep Ranch is a spiritual place to me. I cannot wait to get back, and yet it is essentially only half a course. The greens are tremendously fun, and one is just nuts - you couldn't pull it off on almost any course I've ever played.

Used to be a wind farm - back in the 70s.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 12:26:46 PM »
Ok... this is starting to sound like some secret club.... I'm sure enough I can find this place through google earth. Go to pro shop, and then do I have to say some kind of secret password? Is there any kind of cost associated with this? who maintains the course? Bandon Dunes staff?

Have I asked to many questions?

Ryan,

Do this....

Call the Bandon Golf Supply shop in the town of Bandon ahead of time.....weeks ahead.....even call them today if you wish.  Tell them you are coming to the Resort and would like to get out on the Sheep Ranch.  They will make a call to the "caretaker" on your behalf and let you know if it's possible based on your time frame.

If it is, you will meet up with this caretaker and he will ask for a sum of money.  It is very reasonably priced.  He'll stick you on the "first tee" and away you and your group goes.

Personally, after spending a few hours out there I found myself hankering for a finished, more formalized course, but perhaps that's just me.

It's hard to imagine the Sheep Ranch being a mystery anymore, you can see a lot of it quite clearly from all over the rest of the Bandon courses.  Of all the property at Bandon, the Sheep Ranch reminds me of Pebble Beach.  It isn't really rumbling tumbling linksland with a bunch of exposed sand.  That's not to say someone couldn't open up some exposed stretches, but the real cool part of the property is the green out on the nose, and all the ocean frontage.  There is probably room for 3-5 holes right along the cliff's edge, depending upon what the architect does. 

Additionally, the entire property tilts towards the water.  If ever formalized into a finished product, ocean views will probably be afforded on every single hole. 

There is some pretty cool elevation change out there.....I love the "toothpick" trees near the entrance.  It's just a cool place and gets your creative juices flowing...the possibilities are quite enticing.  If put in the hands of a skilled architect, it would instantly be another home run...   
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

jonathan_becker

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 02:06:13 PM »
I just called "you know where" about "you know what" and was told that they're fielding requests around 60 days in advance of when you want to play.    Who knows if that's completely accurate, though.  They said it was up to the caretaker's schedule.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 02:19:10 PM »
If you’re lucky enough to get the invite, talk to the caddy master at Bandon or Pacific.  4 years ago they offered up caddies for our round at the Sheep Ranch.  We did not take them but it was offered.  It took us 3 days to get directions because nobody in the pro shop seemed to know anything about the Sheep Ranch.  They knew but played dumb.  We finally got directions from a caddy and still got lost, we ask an elderly lady ½ mile from the course and she said the only golf course she knew was the ones up the road near Bandon.  I have a picture of the white post with an address but for fear of getting in trouble I will not post it.  The white post’s number ends with a 0 and has 5 numbers.  

Do not play alone.  Put a peg in the ground and play to a green.  Winner picks the next green and the par.        

From this picture you are either the longest hitter on earth, playing a Casperesque hook or donating a ball to the sea.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »
I spoke to Mr Keiser the other day and it is definitely closed in August due to no irrigation. I do not know about July since I will be there in August. Old MacDonald looks like enough fun for me.
Mr Hurricane

JR Potts

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 03:35:09 PM »
Name dropper.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 04:50:14 PM »
Name dropper.

I got the answer straight from the guy that would know.
Mr Hurricane

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 05:42:24 PM »
The Sheep Ranch is a spiritual place to me. I cannot wait to get back, and yet it is essentially only half a course. The greens are tremendously fun, and one is just nuts - you couldn't pull it off on almost any course I've ever played.

Used to be a wind farm - back in the 70s.

It could have been a very productive wind farm the only time I played the Sheep Ranch - wind was a steady 30 mph with regular gusts of 50.  I was really nervous on that green out on the point!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:15:56 PM by Bill_McBride »

C. Sturges

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 06:14:14 PM »
One of the best places to play!  Please understand though that the course is not in the same condition as the resort.  It is more like a beat up muni.  With saying that it is some of the most fun you can have with your cloths on!  I would take food and drink with you and have a blast!
Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back