News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Dream Golf - The Revised and Expanded Version
« on: June 22, 2010, 04:58:59 PM »
I just finished reading the "revised and expanded" version of Dream Golf with new chapters about Old MacDonald.

A very interesting read for you Bandon enthusiasts; it provides all kinds of great insight and details that I had no clue about.  Unfortunately, for those of us who haven't been to Bandon in a while and haven't seen Old Mac, it makes the wait even more painful :)

Anyone else gotten a read of this yet?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

PCCraig

Re: Dream Golf - The Revised and Expanded Version
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 05:47:25 PM »
I didn't know they planned on revising the book.

I'm still waiting for Tom's "Making of Pacific Dunes"
H.P.S.

George Freeman

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »
I read the original before my maiden journey to Bandon Dunes and thoroughly enjoyed it (although I wanted more about PD and BT).  Is the updated version only different in that it has the new chapters at the end discussing OM and beyond?  Or were additions/edits made elsewhere in the book?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:30:20 PM »
Additional chapters complete the book.When the par 3 course and two more 18,s are built I hope for three more revised and expanded books.I enjoyed the latest book.

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 07:59:13 PM »
Yep, just got it for Fathers Day.  I didn't even mention, and she didn't catch it either, surprisingly, that I already own this book!  It's been on my nightstand for a couple of years now. 

Anyway JC, the reason I had to have this new version was of course the expanded chapters on Old Macdonald.  I sat in the chair there at the bookstore Sunday and read up to the part where Jim Urbina is pleading his case for a burn on 17.  I loved reading of his unbridled passion for the implementation of this design feature and HAD to find out how that all would play out.  Dr. Klein's comments regarding the feature were equally passionate.

Needless to say it's riveting stuff and I can't wait to see Bandon with my own eyes someday soon.

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 08:42:20 PM »
Yep, just got it for Fathers Day.  I didn't even mention, and she didn't catch it either, surprisingly, that I already own this book!  It's been on my nightstand for a couple of years now. 

Anyway JC, the reason I had to have this new version was of course the expanded chapters on Old Macdonald.  I sat in the chair there at the bookstore Sunday and read up to the part where Jim Urbina is pleading his case for a burn on 17.  I loved reading of his unbridled passion for the implementation of this design feature and HAD to find out how that all would play out.  Dr. Klein's comments regarding the feature were equally passionate.

Needless to say it's riveting stuff and I can't wait to see Bandon with my own eyes someday soon.

Is there anything other than the OM stuff in the new one that wasn't in the old one?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 08:44:29 PM »
The book is an absolute must read for anyone on his site. What I found most fascinating was the byplay between the architects, their direct report, Kemper Sports management (who wanted things dumbed down) and Mike Keiser (who would have to overule Kemper).

Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 10:36:40 AM »

Is there anything other than the OM stuff in the new one that wasn't in the old one?

I don't know for sure, JC.  Maybe I'll get them both out this weekend and compare.

There is an interesting supplement to the book however...the author's blog: http://bandondreamgolf.blogspot.com/

Bill Boonn

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 12:02:30 AM »
Just ordered my copy.  I have the original in hardcover, but the revised edition is available for the Kindle.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back