News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Bob_Huntley

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

THuckaby2

Re: Gary van Sickle Column......
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2002, 09:09:10 AM »
WHOA!

First, I gotta read Lorne's book re his Dornoch experience.  Too many people I respect too much have raved about it.  That becomes #1 on my to-buy list for sure.

But re Darren's book, that is scathing indeed!  I gotta say I did enjoy the book, cuz I can read ANYTHING about St. Andrews.  And I can't say anything bad about Darren really - he was VERY nice to me autographing my copy of said book, next to the autographs I got from several GCA stalwarts from my east coast trip last fall.  It was darn nice of him to send it back to me, all the way from England.

But man that is a scathing review indeed!  

TH

GeoffreyC

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2002, 10:10:41 AM »
I bought those two books at the same time last December and I read them back to back.  

I must say that Gary van Sickle wrote exactly what I was thinking about both of them.  

Lorne's book is a must read for anyone interested in Scotland, part of its history, culture and of course for Dornoch.

Maybe I'm too far removed from my undergraduate days but van Sickle hit the nail on the head with the other one.

Randy Van Sickle

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2002, 01:11:41 PM »
Anybody read the back-to-back reviews of these two books in the NY Times about 2 months ago?  The reviewer had a very similar attitude towards both books (and authors).  

Getting ready to head back to Dornoch for a week in June, I was pleased to read Lorne's book, and enjoyed it fully.  The town and its people are a great compliment to the golf course.

I had read a number of compliments from posters here about Darren's book, and was going to pick up a copy.  Now I'm not so sure.  What do some other GCA'ers have to say in his defense?

(And no, even though I have the same last name as the SI columnist, not related and never met.)
Can't get back to RDGC soon enough

kilfara

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2002, 05:13:52 AM »
I don't really know how to answer this column. Gary was an acquaintance when I was interning at Golf Digest and he was writing for Golf World; I'd like to think he doesn't really know me terribly well, for he seems to have assumed the worst of every trait in my character.

In a sense, the main gist of his criticism is right - the main criticism I myself have of the book is that it's too much about me. But I honestly couldn't believe how great my year in St. Andrews turned out, which is perhaps why a sense of mischieviousness creeps through in "A Golfer's Education"...why should I have been so lucky? I guess if people want to think the worst of me, though, that's their prerogative.

Cheers,
Darren

JakaB

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2002, 12:07:28 PM »
Darren,

I admire how you have acted in a more mature manner than Van Sickle in your respose to his "review".  Sounds to me like he is just pissed at the typical mistakes young men often make.  What emotions go through someones mind when they read a review like that...what do your friends say...what does your Mother say...In looking for a more interesting topic those of us not held up to public scutiny would like to hear how it is to take the lows with the highs.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2002, 12:16:22 PM »
I reprint the following here to provide other opinions of Darren's book.  Incidentally, my mother thought you did a fine job, Darren, and that is about the best criticism anyone could receive. ;)

From Publishers Weekly
A Harvard junior (and golf team member) convinces his history department chairman that a year studying at Scotland's St. Andrews will help his academic career. As a resident of St. Andrews, the crafty student knew, for $150 he could purchase a year of unlimited play at the "Home of Golf": the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews. Also an intern at Golf Digest, he finagles a deal to partially finance the trip by writing a series of articles for the magazine. This charming intro sets the tone for Kilfara's memoir/guidebook/tribute to the legendary (and a few lesser known) golf courses of Scotland. Besides waxing poetic about Scottish golf, eccentric golfers and British sports in general, the author also courts Heather, a Scottish lass who, though she lives in the sport's mecca, has never swung a golf club; they eventually marry. The author, who has written for Golf Digest and is an ESPN soccer commentator, is refreshingly honest, admitting, for example, that his youthful obsession with score contributed to occasional lapses in sportsmanship; he's also been known to break a golf club in anger. A student of golf course architecture, Kilfara makes compelling and informed descriptions of Gullane, Carnoustie, Muirfield, Cruden Bay and the fabled Old Course, among others. His narration of a marathon golf holiday (18 rounds of golf on 14 courses in 12 days) is alone worth the read. While insightful, chock-full of golf history, inspiring and amusingly self-deprecating, its unfortunately banal title and some extraneous detail could put some readers off.

Copyright 2001 Cahners Business Information, Inc.

From Booklist
The problem with golf travel memoirs is the tendency to despise the author for the simple reason that he, not you, managed to finagle a dream golf trip and found a publisher willing to let him write about it. It is a testament to Kilfara's amiable personality that it's almost possible to read his book without wanting to slap him upside the head. Not only did Kilfara, as a college junior, spend an entire year in the village of St. Andrews, playing the Old Course and other Scottish links, he also convinced Harvard to treat it as a study-abroad project. Oh, yes, and he was a freelancer for Golf Digest, too, so he was granted press passes to various European Tour events. Are we hating this kid yet? Try not to, if you can, because his book, save a little overwrought coming-of-age angst, is surprisingly charming. He writes about golf passionately and perceptively; he captures the lure of the links vividly; and his analysis of his tendency to be a "score-obsessed golfer" is as wise as it is painful. Reader envy aside, this is a fine golf memoir. Bill Ott
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

Peter Galea

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2002, 12:21:36 PM »
Don't believe everything you read. I guess Gary van Sickle has got "Old Course Envy."
"chief sherpa"

JakaB

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2002, 12:27:37 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for printing the other reviews...we used to go to the public school next door to eat lunch...and being the good Catholic boys that we were...we found good sport in throwing pickle slices up on the ceiling until they would stick.   The janitor had as much a sense of humor as Van Sickle and would always come in screaming about us spoiled good for nuthin Catlickers.   Of course this led to a daily chant of "Blowhard Von Picklehead" as we marched back to school.   I have to wonder if he changed his name and now writes for Golf Digest fretting all day about young spoiled kids who steal his "rare" comped tee times.

Lou Duran

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2002, 07:37:36 AM »
I read Darren's book and found it to be enjoyable, informative (I've not visited Scotland), and rather amusing.  It is not a literary masterpiece, but how many books on golf are?  The criticism that the author is self-absorbed has some merit, but given that it is a book precisely about his year-long experiences in Scotland, I am not sure that it can be otherwise.  That he took a year from Harvard to study at St. Andrews should be worthy of praise, not damnation.   I wouldn't doubt that his short time in Scotland was as valuable as the combined years of his Harvard education.  I hope to meet Darren at one of the GCA events and have him autograph my copy of his book.  

David Kelly

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2002, 03:15:10 PM »
I thought the Rubenstein and Kilfara would make great companion pieces so I read them back-to-back in January.

Lorne's book gives you a wonderful  sense of place which is the main thing that a reader asks for in a travel book.  The descriptions of the village and the area's history were at least as interesting as the the parts of the book devoted to the course and Lorne's experiences on it. His book reminded me of the wonderful film Local Hero (which didn't even mention the word golf) with its charming cast of eccentric characters.  It is a book that I am now always reccomending to friends who are thinking of going to Scotland and even to those who have been many times.

As for A Golfer's Education, well unless you are Bobby Jones or Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods the details of your round of golf are not going to be interesting to the reader. That was a major problem I had with the book.  I wanted more about the course histories (what there was was pretty good) and descriptions of the various holes and what challenges they present to the golfer and much less about what club Kilfara used  on a particular hole or what score he shot that day.   In addition for such a charming and historic town not much of that comes through the pages. As for the memoir part of the book, it is very rare that the thoughts of a 20 year old would make for compelling reading and unfortunately this book is no exception.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back