GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

John Reid: first pro in Philadelphia (and he laid out/fixed up many courses)

<< < (3/6) > >>

Tom MacWood:
Can you date the years he laid out and fixed those courses?

Mike Cirba:

--- Quote from: Tom MacWood on June 17, 2010, 10:29:52 PM ---Can you date the years he laid out and fixed those courses?

--- End quote ---

Tom,

Any particular course(s) dates you're particularly interested in?

I have a good idea of a number of them.

Mike Cirba:
Kyle,

The Reading Country Club course we know today was the first on that site, and opened in 1923.

I have some fantastic articles that describe Alex Findlay's work there, including hole by hole descriptions, but which also credit him with Berkshire CC in the same town.

More to come.

Mike_Trenham:
My father is the historian for the Philadelphia PGA.  This is from his cronical on the PhillyPGA.com website.  He is always looking for new information.  Here is some of what Pete knows.

He had no connection to John Reid of NYC.

A few links attached also

http://philadelphia.pga.com/sectionhistory/
http://philadelphia.pga.com/gui/philly9/filedownload/1895%20to%201915%20Leaders%20&%20Legends.pdf

John “Jack” Reid
John Reid was born in Scotland in 1874. He immigrated to the United States in 1895
and that year, as the Philadelphia Country Club’s professional, he played in what was the
first official U.S. Open. As well as being a golf professional he was also a green
superintendent and a golf course designer. Between 1897 and 1901 he laid out the first golf
courses for the Huntingdon Valley Country Club, Belfield Golf Club, Atlantic City
Country Club, Riverton Country Club, Wilmington Country Club, Philmont Country Club
and the Lancaster Country Club. For his work at the Lancaster Country Club he was paid
$28. He served as the pro-green superintendent at eleven clubs in the Philadelphia Section.
Reid’s most lasting creation was probably what would come to be called the South Course
at Philmont Country Club. Reid completed the first nine holes in 1907 and the second nine
opened for play two years later. In 1911 Reid went to work at the Country Club of Scranton
building nine new holes for the club and nine years later he built nine holes for the newly
organized Fox Hill Country Club. Several times he was hired to put a new course in
playing condition after the contractor had completed his work. This happened at Atlantic
City Country Club, the Berkshire Country Club and the Gulph Mills Golf Club. Reid
played an important role in the first thirty-five years of golf in the Philadelphia region. He
was not related to the John Reid who was considered to be the father of American golf.

Tom MacWood:

--- Quote from: Mike_Cirba on June 17, 2010, 11:04:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tom MacWood on June 17, 2010, 10:29:52 PM ---Can you date the years he laid out and fixed those courses?

--- End quote ---

Tom,

Any particular course(s) dates you're particularly interested in?

I have a good idea of a number of them.

--- End quote ---

The courses mentioned in the article.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version