News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kirk Gill

Re: Wolf Point Club, TX
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 10:22:27 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos, Wyatt. From reading Mike Nuzzo's blog entries to this thread, every time I've had a chance to see or read about the course, It's been a real pleasure. Rob hit it on the head - it's the scale of the ground movement, and the way that was used in the design that fascinates. Getting to watch a golf ball move over that land must be a treat.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Ben Sims

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 11:16:07 PM »

Wyatt--

Do I dare ask where the hole was cut on 11?  There's an incredible back left hole location there.  Also, where the hole cut on 13?  That's a hole that I would play much differently having seen the green even though I parred it.  

I'll answer for Wyatt, he's got an infant and all.

The pin on 11 was back, sort of left center in the back.  It was on my short list of favorite greens.  The pin on 13 was killer.  It was left back, sloping severely away from the fairway.  The best par was to play a club or two long deliberately  and come back to the pin. 

This theme of pin locations dominating the playing characteristics continued throughout the round. 

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 11:41:07 PM »

Wyatt--

Do I dare ask where the hole was cut on 11?  There's an incredible back left hole location there.  Also, where the hole cut on 13?  That's a hole that I would play much differently having seen the green even though I parred it.  

I'll answer for Wyatt, he's got an infant and all.

The pin on 11 was back, sort of left center in the back.  It was on my short list of favorite greens.  The pin on 13 was killer.  It was left back, sloping severely away from the fairway.  The best par was to play a club or two long deliberately  and come back to the pin. 

This theme of pin locations dominating the playing characteristics continued throughout the round. 

Adam,

The cut on 13 was so crazy, it's almost as if Sims had something to do with it. As for the other holes, I thought you might like a brief recap to walk yourself through again. Please feel free to share where they were on your visit.

1 - middle right on the hump
2 - back left, a few paces from the edge
3 - middle, tucked tight against the right bunker
4 - front left :o
8 - 10 paces on in line with the left side of the short bunker from the tee
9 - front right
10 - back left near the bottom of the slope
12 - middle, maybe a touch left
18 - frontish middle

Kirk,
I hope all is well. Watching the ball roll is always a treat and Wolf Point is built for just that.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 08:54:12 AM »
What speed do the greens run at?

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 09:56:38 AM »
Pup,

They are right on the line. Quick enough to utilize slope, but without being bullet speed which would render the course unplayable.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 12:31:53 PM »
Wyatt & Ben
What a treat to spend the day with you both.
I will certainly remember Wyatt's 5? birdies and Ben's sortie stories.

Your comments gave me a great smile - especially the suspense of a horror movie.
I never really thought that even though 15 looks benign that you'd ignore your eyes and rely on its precedents.
Call me and Don the Alfred Hitchcock of golf course architects... please

Wyatt the tacos were excellent.
Here is a little teaser - it is wrapped in Agave during the cooking process.
Unlike Rockcreek where they use skulls as art we use them naturally.... :)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 05:04:34 PM »
Talk about meat falling off the bone. I'm hoping that regret doesn't last longer than four days.

Richard Choi

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 05:46:01 PM »
Just goes to show, you don't need hundreds of bunkers, water on every hole, or waterfall to make a flat land interesting.

Great pics, I can't believe a course like that exists in Texas!

Michael Blake

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »
Just goes to show, you don't need hundreds of bunkers, water on every hole, or waterfall to make a flat land interesting.

...or a big budget.  

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 12:28:50 AM »
I've had some additional time to digest my visit to Wolf Point and I'm feeling a bit Kirkian tonight so I thought I would add the following:

After MUCH reflection, my round at Wolf Point was probably the greatest round of golf I've ever played. I've shot lower scores and made more birdies during rounds previously, but I've only experienced a similar feeling once in my life. Last summer at Ballyneal. I've refrained from making comparisons until now. That's as close as I will get to it.

The difference is, at Ballyneal I had a yardage book and caddy. At Wolf Point, is was all feel. No yardages, no caddy, and no significant guidance from the architect (unless he was implored). Mike, I thank you for your reluctance to share until we got there and I appreciate you letting us try to figure it out. 

Jim Franklin

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 05:28:18 PM »
Is it near any airport? Houston? San Antonio? It definitely looks worthy of a golf trip.
Mr Hurricane

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »
Is it near any airport? Houston? San Antonio? It definitely looks worthy of a golf trip.

It wouldn't be much more than a couple of hours from Hobby Airport on the south side of Houston.  You're not going to find a phone number to call for reservations though.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2010, 09:10:31 AM »
Thanks. I have a good friend in Houston I may go see this fall so a journey south may be in the cards.
Mr Hurricane

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 10:36:10 AM »
Some more pics from the day.
The areas out of play are not irrigated, they came back naturally.
Don did spread some wild flower mix, but the color may be native.

Jim - I think these two thought the trip worthy....
This picture brings a smile just as big to me.
I wish I could share the place more often.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 11:11:05 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for the pics. Two questions if I may:

Which of those clubs did Don choose to hole out that bunker shot?

How did the photo you took from behind the tee at 14 turn out (the one looking down the fairway with wildflowers in the foreground)?

Steve Curry

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »
Brings me back, what a place!! 

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 11:06:02 AM »
Wyatt,
Don hit a hard SW.
It was Don's choice of tee, we played way way back - his choice of tee.

The pic posed above of 14 was the best of the bunch.
I'm not too sure why you started to wander around - it was going to be a nice picture of you two walking down the fwy...
Hard to time both the sun and the player.

Steve
It is calling you

Ben Sims

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 04:03:33 PM »

I never knew I created lag like this.  Or that I "squatted" into my shots.   

Everyone should have a picture of their swing in motion.  This makes me feel halfway coordinated.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »
How many people work at Wolf Point? Is it only Don Mahaffey?

Any pictures of the clubhouse at all? It looks like an interesting design. :)

Jim Franklin

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2010, 04:53:58 PM »
What town is this near? I found out I have a client that lives in Rockport (near Corpus Christi) and I need to make a visit.
Mr Hurricane

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2010, 07:33:57 PM »
What town is this near? I found out I have a client that lives in Rockport (near Corpus Christi) and I need to make a visit.

Port Lavaca not too far north of Rockport.  Maybe 50 miles.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »
For some reason Wyatt wouldn't shut up about this place at the Yucca  ;)

Ben - Don't forget to hold the angle!

Ben Sims

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2010, 08:57:46 PM »
For some reason Wyatt wouldn't shut up about this place at the Yucca  ;)

Ben - Don't forget to hold the angle!

Dude, I'm trying.  Del Rio, TX is killing my golf travel though.

But that day with Mike, Don and Wyatt will go down in history as one of my top five days on a golf course.  Hanging with Don is what ultimately made me want to start my Masters degree in turf at Penn State.   

And Rob, the course itself ranks quite easily along with Ballyneal, Kingsley, Pac Dunes and Crystal Downs as the most fun golf course I've ever seen. 

David Mihm

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2010, 10:04:33 PM »
Given my predilection for first-time / only / "amateur" designs I am incredibly gratified to see all of the praise for this course.  Wyatt, I know you mentioned this course the last night of the Yucca and upon further review (with your commentary) it looks incredible.  It appeared "too modern" to me at first but the shot values more closely resemble classics like Crystal Downs as you pointed out.

How far a drive is this from New Orleans?  I will probably be there in November...

Rob Rigg

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2010, 11:06:05 PM »
Ben,

That is what Wyatt was saying - and I have talked with Mike about it before as well. Really amazing stuff at WP.

Don's ability to get Bermuda playing firm and fast is incredible - he is a magician. You can see how "fun" the course is from the photos - the team have obviously done an amazing job.

David didn't believe me when I told him WP was the cat's meow - then Wyatt and the photos set him straight - I love it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back