News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

THuckaby2

Re: How far are they really hitting it?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2002, 07:40:03 AM »
JC:  gotcha.  Weather had a bit to do with the high scores at the San Jose event too, it was NASTY both Sat and Sun.  But this was indeed the exception to the rule then re course setup, yes?

TH
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

BCrosby

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2002, 08:39:23 AM »
Matt -

You said:

"When I hear all this clamoring about how classic courses are being pulverized by increased distance I say show me the numbers to prove it."

O.K., since you asked -

As you know, there is a practice tee at ANGC.  There is a screen at one end 255 yards from the teeing area.

In the early '80's we would marvel when Norman, Watson, Love and Couples used to hit the screen on the fly 20 or so feet up.

They were top tier players then.  Not many others could hit it anywhere near as far.

Pan to April, 2001.  Same practice tee.  My friends and I watched player after player hit drives 30 or more feet up the screen.  Everyone from Driscoll to Sluman to Weir to Lyle to whomever, they were all able to hit the screen on the fly.

Then the big boys showed up.  Love, Daly, Woods, Els, etc. hit drives that were still rising as they crossed over the top of the screen. (The top is about 60+ feet off the ground.)

Hootie said recently that they are going to relocate the practice tee next year because so many balls are now landing on Washington Road.  That didn't used to be a problem.

I am a simple person.  I do not understand much about mathematics.  (My wife keeps our books.)  I do not know the yardages those people hit it.  I do not know if measurements of that yardage are accurate.

I do know, however, that they are all hitting it much, much farther than they used to.   All of them.  

But for ANGC's viscious (and arguably unfair) greens and green surrounds (especially since the installation of bent grass in 1978), there is no serious doubt that these guys would be "pulverizing" Augusta.  

Bob

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2002, 08:55:02 AM »
Bob:

Appreciate your take because as a student at Univ. of S. Carolina in Columbia (years ago ;)) I ventured to Augusta many a time to see the Masters and watch those same pros hit balls towards Washington Road.

If you want to see real distance count how many players are able to fly the bunkers that have been repositioned since TF's visit? Tiger can do it. Ditto Daly and even Mickelson. The rest will be taking the side route around, not over, the bunkers that are now 280-300 yards out.

FYI -- Besides Tiger's big-time win in '97 what real low scores have been killing Augusta? You're right on target about the speed of the greens and the mounding that is present.

What's made the pros unique is that new technology allows straighter hitting of the big stick which increases accuracy and therefore more green hits which then provide for more birdie attempts.

Let me leave with one thoughts -- if you had a hole with all water carry that requires a 280 yard hit or a bail out either right or left at 220 yards I can count on one hand how many pros would have the b*lls to fly it over the 280 yard area -- at sea level -- with no elevated tee -- with no helping wind. Just think about it Bob.

matt

Matt_Ward

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2002, 09:43:31 AM »
shivas:

Last count -- that's 16. Please include a few more and the debate can start about individual credentials. For the others the 280 yard all-carry over water will result in the famous Bobby Darin song -- you might have heard of it --
SPLISH SPLASH ! ;D

BCrosby

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2002, 10:17:49 AM »
Matt -

Apropos of nothing, our discussion reminded me of a Tiger  session on the ANGC practice tee about two years ago.  

His first drive hit about 20 feet up the screen.  Next drive about 40 feet up the screen.  Next was 60 feet up the screen.  Then he rips two or three over the top.

Then he hits one at 40 feet up.  Next is 20 feet up.  

He puts his driver back in the bag and goes to the short game area.

He worked up and down the screen in a perfectly vertical line.  Total control of distance and direction.  Absolutely amazing.

Bob

Richard_Goodale

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2002, 10:54:15 AM »
Fascinating, Bob!

So, how many strokes a side would Tiger have to give to Hogan or Nicklaus? 1, 2 or 3?

Brad Klein

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2002, 02:36:34 PM »
Was just at ANGC where I did a quick field estimation at the practice area and found the nettting - now carried atop a dozen hydraulically extended lifts - set at a height of 100 feet high. Talk about raising the bar.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back